Guided hunt for a 13-year old’s first deer in Georgia?

kayaksteve

Look into 30-30 ministries. I volunteer/guide/cook for several of their hunts every year and we often have success with first time hunters. It’s completely free and a great experience for a father and son. There’s hunts all over the state and even a few in other states every year now. A couple of the hunts are partnered with DNR for learn to hunt events. You’ll spend some great time together fellowshipping with other hunters, learn a lot of basics and strategies and maybe make some friends.

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
If you honestly think that hunting can be reduced down to pulling the trigger and hitting a target that just happens to be a living animal, then I don't know what to say to you, except that we have very different ideas about hunting and will likely never agree.
He said he’s hunting WITH A GUIDE!!!!!! Good Lord!!!! That’s what he’s paying for somebody to do the work for him. A GUIDED TRIP. If his son kills a deer and doesn’t get excited then he’ll know right away that huntings not his thing. On the other hand if he gets the rush and likes it then there you go, he loves it and they can spend the money to get into it. The entire reason he said he wanted to take his son on a guided trip. ‍

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Danged If Id be hiring out for someone else to do what I as a father should be doing with my son.
The kid probably doesn't need a babysitter who lets him kill things.
If you don't know how, get out and learn with the kid. That will teach him and you will bond with him better than some hired out guy.

basshappy

BANNED
@LowCounty7777 wide variety of replies here. Plenty of time before modern firearms to research, learn, plan etc.

Consider all replies before deciding. If you go guide route impress upon your son that without a guide hunting can be very difficult early on.

Good luck to you both. Either route you take hope both of you enjoy it together!!!.

crucible02

@LowCounty7777

Unfortunately, I know your welcome here probably wasn’t quite what you expected. What is being said is not wrong but it’s unfair to make you feel like an idiot for not knowing.

So, I will answer your question since you asked… check out Gray Ghost Plantation in Mauk, Georgia. My processor is a guide there and he’s a great guy to hunt with. His name is Troy Aeschliman. Prices are pretty fair and you have a chance at a nice deer plus good food and lodging.

I also recommend 30-30 Ministries.

Otherwise, I recommend reading a lot about hunting in Georgia, take the Hunter Safety Course (required to hunt in GA), find some local public land and get boots on the ground (not hunting but learning), or find someone you know that hunts and talk them into taking you and your son and walking you through the ins and outs.

Good luck!

Gray Ghost Plantation

Last edited:

Blackston

Look into 30-30 ministries. I volunteer/guide/cook for several of their hunts every year and we often have success with first time hunters. It’s completely free and a great experience for a father and son. There’s hunts all over the state and even a few in other states every year now. A couple of the hunts are partnered with DNR for learn to hunt events. You’ll spend some great time together fellowshipping with other hunters, learn a lot of basics and strategies and maybe make some friends.
This !!!!!! Do This !!!! Consider Nothing else DO THIS!!!!!!!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
While I agree with what several are saying about there’s a lot more to hunting than pulling the trigger .
I also know lots of kids aren’t fortunate enough to have someone, father, friend or family member to teach them or a place to go besides public land . Also some dads just don’t have the desire to hunt , for whatever reasons .
A good example , about 15 years ago I had a lady contact me about taking her son hunting . He was 12-14 , and I agreed. I took him to my little shooting range and let him fire a few rounds . That same afternoon we sat in a double ladder together and I let him shoot the first deer that came out , a little 5 pt . Not a perfect shot but it worked . 15 years later and he’s still texting, sending me pictures and has become quite the hunter . Usually once a season I get a picture of a nice buck and a short message thanking me for spending that one day with him in the woods .
We don’t all have someone that loves hunting or even cares about taking a walk in the woods . I’m sure glad I did

Bud Man

Follow Blackstone's advice, and someone previously asked where are you located? Someone already stated they could provide assistance probably, I might know other people that can be able to help guide and teach your young one. Again, where are you located? I believe you are a good man doing the right thing reaching out to people that hopefully can assist you with their guidance.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
While I agree with what several are saying about there’s a lot more to hunting than pulling the trigger .
I also know lots of kids aren’t fortunate enough to have someone, father, friend or family member to teach them or a place to go besides public land . Also some dads just don’t have the desire to hunt , for whatever reasons .
A good example , about 15 years ago I had a lady contact me about taking her son hunting . He was 12-14 , and I agreed. I took him to my little shooting range and let him fire a few rounds . That same afternoon we sat in a double ladder together and I let him shoot the first deer that came out , a little 5 pt . Not a perfect shot but it worked . 15 years later and he’s still texting, sending me pictures and has become quite the hunter . Usually once a season I get a picture of a nice buck and a short message thanking me for spending that one day with him in the woods .
We don’t all have someone that loves hunting or even cares about taking a walk in the woods . I’m sure glad I did

You done good.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Follow Blackstone's advice, and someone previously asked where are you located? Someone already stated they could provide assistance probably, I might know other people that can be able to help guide and teach your young one. Again, where are you located? I believe you are a good man doing the right thing reaching out to people that hopefully can assist you with their guidance.
His profile says north Florida. That adds another element if he’s wanting to hunt Georgia. Non resident license it pretty expensive.

HavocLover

Danged If Id be hiring out for someone else to do what I as a father should be doing with my son.
The kid probably doesn't need a babysitter who lets him kill things.
If you don't know how, get out and learn with the kid. That will teach him and you will bond with him better than some hired out guy.

What a comment… the dude already said he’d be going too. Also, you only know what you know. Just cause the fella doesn’t hunt doesn’t make him any less of a father. Your first sentence just insinuates you have to be a Hunter to be a good father. If my son wanted to take up golf, I’d have no probs with him tagging along with some golfer buddies of mine or paying for a few lessons cause I’m def not your guy. I don’t feel like this is much diff. Just cause most on this forum grew up in the outdoors doesn’t mean everyone has and doesnt make them any less of a man/parent due to it.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
What a comment… the dude already said he’d be going too. Also, you only know what you know. Just cause the fella doesn’t hunt doesn’t make him any less of a father. Your first sentence just insinuates you have to be a Hunter to be a good father. If my son wanted to take up golf, I’d have no probs with him tagging along with some golfer buddies of mine or paying for a few lessons cause I’m def not your guy. I don’t feel like this is much diff. Just cause most on this forum grew up in the outdoors doesn’t mean everyone has and doesnt make them any less of a man/parent due to it.
What I meant was take the kid hunting, instead of buying him his first deer.

basshappy

BANNED
I think valid points expressed across the board. The inability to understand through typed words context and meanings might put statements in an unintended light.

If just the 13 year old is going to hunt aside from hunter safety course no license is needed, correct? Isn't 16 the age for big game license in GA?