Guided Out of state hunt

bubbafowler

Ok guys I'm looking to go on a guided hunt within the next 2 years. Would love an elk, but whitetail seems to be my best bet, as I want to stay around 5k. Also, the part that is hard to search for is I would like to find a place where I could take my non hunting wife along where she may have access to a spa or shopping or something while I hunt. Probably be a rifle hunt as my buddy will likely book a hunt as well. Any suggestions??

rstallings1979

Ok guys I'm looking to go on a guided hunt within the next 2 years. Would love an elk, but whitetail seems to be my best bet, as I want to stay around 5k. Also, the part that is hard to search for is I would like to find a place where I could take my non hunting wife along where she may have access to a spa or shopping or something while I hunt. Probably be a rifle hunt as my buddy will likely book a hunt as well. Any suggestions??
Man I am racking my brain on where you could possibly go that has a spa or shopping nearby.. You can eliminate Kansas, Illinois, and Iowa from your list. Your only place in Illinois would be somewhere within a two hour drive of St Louis I suppose (Greene County maybe). Southeast Iowa really has nothing and based on the women I have seen in Kansas none of them are frequenting spas, beauty parlors etc. They were more on the beefy side. I am sure there are fancy outfitting lodges out there somewhere that may cater to the wife but none have shown up anywhere close to where I have frequented the last 15 years.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Texas, you can find a good white tail outfitter just outside SanAntonio. She can do the river walk canals, shop and spa til she drops.

deers2ward

I'd highly encourage you to do something you don't normally get to do.

I did a good bit of research this summer on elk hunts and this would fit your budget, though this is for archery (check to see if rifle rates are different). Plenty of places in Steamboat Springs with all the comforts your wife could want.

My notes from speaking with Tom, the outfitter:

-7,000 acres of private land, working cattle ranch. Elk come onto property in the afternoons, feed in the alfalfa fields all night, leave in the morning and travel off property.
-Large private ranches surrounding
-10 bowhunters at once, sit in stands/blinds on travel corridor or edge of alfalfa fields
-No calling, no spot and stalk. 100% ambush/like whitetail hunting back home.
-On your own for meals and lodging. Stay in hotel in nearby Steamboat Springs or Craig.
-Morning hunt lasts until 10am, go back to town and entertain yourselves, then come back around 3pm for evening hunt. Most elk are killed in the evenings
-6 days of hunting
-Bulls average 220-250
-OTC tag on private land only, and is either sex, so if a cow (female elk) gives you an opportunity you can take her if you want to
-Several meat processors in Craig
-$3,850 per hunter (for archery), 50% deposit to book, 50% due when you show up

Jim Boyd

I'd highly encourage you to do something you don't normally get to do.

I did a good bit of research this summer on elk hunts and this would fit your budget, though this is for archery (check to see if rifle rates are different). Plenty of places in Steamboat Springs with all the comforts your wife could want.

My notes from speaking with Tom, the outfitter:

-7,000 acres of private land, working cattle ranch. Elk come onto property in the afternoons, feed in the alfalfa fields all night, leave in the morning and travel off property.
-Large private ranches surrounding
-10 bowhunters at once, sit in stands/blinds on travel corridor or edge of alfalfa fields
-No calling, no spot and stalk. 100% ambush/like whitetail hunting back home.
-On your own for meals and lodging. Stay in hotel in nearby Steamboat Springs or Craig.
-Morning hunt lasts until 10am, go back to town and entertain yourselves, then come back around 3pm for evening hunt. Most elk are killed in the evenings
-6 days of hunting
-Bulls average 220-250
-OTC tag on private land only, and is either sex, so if a cow (female elk) gives you an opportunity you can take her if you want to
-Several meat processors in Craig
-$3,850 per hunter (for archery), 50% deposit to book, 50% due when you show up

Absolutely superior research and recap.

catch22

Yea I'm leaning that way I think just to get what I need. Any places in particular? They have thousands of outfitters.
no sir, unfortunately not, but based on your requirements, Texas or northern mexico seems best. Go to one of the resort style outfitters that take care of spouses

Boondocks

Your spouse and friends spouse could go on their spa trip some where and you guys go to Colorado elk hunting. Buy OTC tags and hunt public land it is to many acres avaliable. That would work out better than trying to please the women and keep them occupied while you guys try to hunt.Hard to hunt with your phone ringing every 30 minutes to hour to tell you what they see or want to buy.

HavocLover

You ever been hunting outta state? Turns into a job really quick. I’ve been questioning how much I enjoy it by as early as day 2 or 3 of 1.5-2 week outings. Granted, I do go hard and typically leave the hotel first thing in the AM and don’t get back till late in the evening and rinse and repeat. Even when I used to hunt with an outfitter, it turns into a grind very early in the trip. I couldn’t imagine doing all that and coming back and having to entertain folks. (Spouse.) Just my two cent though. Something about being around home and hunting the AMs and crashing at the camp or even on the couch at home for a midday nap then going back at it, is taken for granted by most. When you’re 12 hrs from home in some dud of a town in much harsher conditions, it really brings it all to a new level. I love it, but it has made me question how much I do at times.

Sounds like you need to look into the elk possibility or TX and IMO that’s your only options. I say that cause most elk country is gonna be scenic enough for the women folk to do their thing and go sight seeing and whatnot. TX, I get the impression that every other TX outfitter is set up to the point the lodge is just as entertaining as everything else. Anywhere in the Midwest and you’re prob gonna be in a tiny farm town, nothing to see or do and certainly nothing entertaining.

earlthegoat2

Where I went in Texas for Nilgai, it was a thousand miles away from nowhere. I had my wife with me and she came along hunting though the hunt was relatively short.

We stopped in New Orleans on the way back to satisfy her culture cravings. Plus we ate our weight in seafood.

It was a low fence fair chase guided hunt on a private ranch. I wouldn’t do a hunt like that for something you can also hunt in your home state. Go elk, exotic or something else besides whitetail

menhadenman

Antelope is the closest guarantee there is in hunting. There are some sweet spots in WY that’d fit the bill. Shoot me a message if you’d like some ideas.

Good on ya for getting the misses out

Big7

The Oracle
Your spouse and friends spouse could go on their spa trip some where and you guys go to Colorado elk hunting. Buy OTC tags and hunt public land it is to many acres avaliable. That would work out better than trying to please the women and keep them occupied while you guys try to hunt.Hard to hunt with your phone ringing every 30 minutes to hour to tell you what they see or want to buy.
There is a guy in Colorado who does horseback hunts or drive then walk depending on the zone or unit of land or whatever. From what I've seen on his Tik Tok hunts, it's pretty hard back country hunting. Doubt anything his way for the ladies.

I'd send the girls to Floor-Duh with a pocket full of money and turn my phone off. :bounce:

Fixing to get on Tik Tok after a while and look through the hunting channels. He usually pops up because I'm a subscriber but I don't know how to search Tik Tok like I do YouTube.

If he does pop up, I'll write down his actual URL and post it for @bubbafowler . He hasn't said the guide fee on the open forum so I have no I idea what he charges.

But I'm with @deers2ward on the doing something different if it's out of state big money.
We got some big Whitetail here. Big enough to where 5 or 10 grand makes a difference, to me anyway.

tmiller

Look at Honey Brake Lodge in Louisiana....from what I hear its incredible accommodations and hunting and they have a spa in their lodge.

Boondocks

You can hunt public land in Colorado cheap.The big cost being otc tags for elk. You can camp at the Trailhead depending on weather or get a motel in a small town.It is better if youu can carry a 4 wheeler to ride.I have hunted out of Westcliffe,Co.. and it is a good area to hunt with big mountains and a valley with alfalfa farms and ranches.I have a friend with a house their we stay in and feed and water the mule deer off of the porch on the back.

rstallings1979

You ever been hunting outta state? Turns into a job really quick. I’ve been questioning how much I enjoy it by as early as day 2 or 3 of 1.5-2 week outings. Granted, I do go hard and typically leave the hotel first thing in the AM and don’t get back till late in the evening and rinse and repeat. Even when I used to hunt with an outfitter, it turns into a grind very early in the trip. I couldn’t imagine doing all that and coming back and having to entertain folks. (Spouse.) Just my two cent though. Something about being around home and hunting the AMs and crashing at the camp or even on the couch at home for a midday nap then going back at it, is taken for granted by most. When you’re 12 hrs from home in some dud of a town in much harsher conditions, it really brings it all to a new level. I love it, but it has made me question how much I do at times.

Sounds like you need to look into the elk possibility or TX and IMO that’s your only options. I say that cause most elk country is gonna be scenic enough for the women folk to do their thing and go sight seeing and whatnot. TX, I get the impression that every other TX outfitter is set up to the point the lodge is just as entertaining as everything else. Anywhere in the Midwest and you’re prob gonna be in a tiny farm town, nothing to see or do and certainly nothing entertaining.
I carried my wife to Kentucky one time before we got married back in 2010. Needless to say it was a one and done experience. The place we stayed may have had an occasional house rat residing and cob webs in the corners of each room. The shower required flips flops as well. I will never have to worry about her wanting to go again. My 10 year old is going with me this year out of state and the place we are staying is a little better but it is a 500 person town in the Midwest with C-store food and a few other options around. The schedule is wake up, hunt, eat a sandwich at the truck, and go back to the stand. If the weather stinks we may take a longer break in between but if its 20s for lows and 40s/50s for highs it is going to be long hours in the stand. When nightfall hits I am exhausted and ready to get some sleep.

This is the only thing I do for myself anymore. I work, I take care of the bills, I am in the bleachers watching the boys play sports, I am taking them to practice, I take care of our Georgia property, and I gave up golf when I realized I no longer had the time to stay consistently good. Those 10-12 days out of the year are all I do for myself. Even my Georgia hunting is comprised around taking the boys and letting them go after a good buck and shoot a few does in the mean time.

HavocLover

I carried my wife to Kentucky one time before we got married back in 2010. Needless to say it was a one and done experience. The place we stayed may have had an occasional house rat residing and cob webs in the corners of each room. The shower required flips flops as well. I will never have to worry about her wanting to go again. My 10 year old is going with me this year out of state and the place we are staying is a little better but it is a 500 person town in the Midwest with C-store food and a few other options around. The schedule is wake up, hunt, eat a sandwich at the truck, and go back to the stand. If the weather stinks we may take a longer break in between but if its 20s for lows and 40s/50s for highs it is going to be long hours in the stand. When nightfall hits I am exhausted and ready to get some sleep.

This is the only thing I do for myself anymore. I work, I take care of the bills, I am in the bleachers watching the boys play sports, I am taking them to practice, I take care of our Georgia property, and I gave up golf when I realized I no longer had the time to stay consistently good. Those 10-12 days out of the year are all I do for myself. Even my Georgia hunting is comprised around taking the boys and letting them go after a good buck and shoot a few does in the mean time.

Same. Pretty much the picture perfect family man (so I feel anyways) throughout the entire year. Even during hunting season… but the old lady knows hunting season is my time and she leaves me be. Especially on my hunting trips. And likewise, besides our 1-2 quick family beach getaways, I don’t care to tag along on all the other beach trips her and her friends go on.

bubbafowler

Ok y'all have convinced me. I've spoken to my buddy and our wives. We're gonna push the hunt to 2025 to save up a little more money and hop on an elk hunt without the wives. We will take our wives to their chosen destination couples trip in the meantime. Now I just need to start looking for a guarantee draw state elk hunt.