Browning Auto 5 Won't cycle

chp.cheatham

I have acquired a Browning Auto 5 Light 12 and I can't get it to cycle any of the dove loads I try to feed it. It just won't kick the bold back far enough to eject the shot shell and load a new one. I have tried it with the friction rings set at both light loads and heavy loads but still won't cycle. Any suggestions as to what may be the cause. My other Auto 5 has no problem cycling the same dove loads and the friction ring is set up the same.

Jim Baker

Staff member
I have acquired a Browning Auto 5 Light 12 and I can't get it to cycle any of the dove loads I try to feed it. It just won't kick the bold back far enough to eject the shot shell and load a new one. I have tried it with the friction rings set at both light loads and heavy loads but still won't cycle. Any suggestions as to what may be the cause. My other Auto 5 has no problem cycling the same dove loads and the friction ring is set up the same.

Did you clean and oil the magazine tube before putting the rings and spring on?

Because its a Browning, good luck with their customer service if you have to deal with them, and be prepared for absolute frustration. Had one Browning in my life, their customer service drove me to sell it and never purchase any of their products again.

ugajay

Yes, exactly what wooly booger said. Brownings are bad and terrible, and waaah waaaah. I'm pretty sure he woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Wish I could help you. Never had a problem with any of mine.

WayneB

Mine just needed a full teardown and aggressive cleaning, bolt to receiver had hard to get at fouling that drug the action just enough to fail to eject or feed all the time.

mwood1985

Clean it and use 1 1/8 loads. Recoil operated guns like the Browning Auto5 Franchi AL48 and the Remington 11-48 don't like the 1 ounc
e loads

chp.cheatham

I'll try all the mentioned suggestions. I have two others and have no problems with them at all. Thanks for the help.