new bow

ucfireman

Ok So I have a old Browning Bridger bow that I bought in 1990 as a senior in High school. I haven't hunted with a bow in about 15 years. I bought a cross bow last year and haven't liked it too much. Thinking of getting a new compound bow.
So, Any recommendations?
1 cam or 2 cams? advantages to each?
Parallel limbs or recurve limbs?
Do people still use an "overdraw", I know things have changed.
Releases? I used fingers and was pretty good.
I haven't gone to a bow shop and looked but was wanting to see what is going on in bows these days.

NUTT

Tons of options but it's always best to shoot one. I went to archery shop in Bowdon last year and shot the Obsession Defcon 7 and bought last year's model 200 dollars off new price. Been loving it so far. Interested in an Elite or another Mathews soon to have two bows.

Long Cut

I've personally always enjoyed Elites, Prime and Hoyt's. Figure out your preferences : ATA, Brace Height, etc then shoot a few and go from there. Dealer proximity and all that also play a big role here, I used to have to drive an hour God forbid my Prime had any issues (it never did) but that was a drawback.

It's really Ford vs Chevy once you get into the flagship bows... pick your poison

rjcruiser

Nobody uses fingers to shoot a compound....a good release is what you need. Probably a wrist strap release is what is easiest.

Parallel limbs are the standard. 2 cams are the standard. If you want to spend $1500-$1700, then go new. If you want to save a bundle, buy a 1-2 year old model used off of Archery talk and save $800-$1000. Just make sure the model you buy is fit to your size or has adjustable cams to fit your drawlength and poundage.

livetohunt

Go to a bow shop with a friend.. Have them hand u bows and then u shoot without knowing which brand it is.. Then pick the one you liked the best. You will probably be surprised which one you picked.

Garnto88

It's according to how serious you are and how much you are going to hunt or shoot it. PSE has some new mainline bows that are very affordable and they are great bows that get the job done . You don't need to spend 1500 bucks to get a good bow . I'm sure some of other companies may have the same but I prefer PSE .

rjcruiser

Decent. More for younger folks that want a big range of adjustability. Should be able to pick up a used one after Christmas for $250.

What's your budget? I'd check for a 3-4 yo top shelf bow in Jan-feb. Should be able to be had for $350-450.

Hunter922

I would wait until January- February. Go to Archerytalk.com as instructed above and you should be able to get a new or lightly used 2016 / 2017 bow for a great price.

Derek Snider

Decent. More for younger folks that want a big range of adjustability. Should be able to pick up a used one after Christmas for $250.

What's your budget? I'd check for a 3-4 yo top shelf bow in Jan-feb. Should be able to be had for $350-450.

Agreed with above post. Lots of archers buy a new bow every year and some even go through several within a year. They depreciate greatly once they lose that “new” sticker. If you are careful, a used bow can be had and often times loaded with good to high end accessories, at a very reasonable price. Hundreds less than buying new. I’ve bought bows form archerytalk and the gon classifieds in the past and with no regrets. If you buy form AT, make sure that the seller has sold before and has a good reputation through AT. Also, if the bow comes with accessories be sure and ask how old the accessories are. Some sellers will place older accessories on a newer bow and advertise only the year if the bow. For example; (2017 Mathews halon for sell with , b stinger, Qad fall away rest,
and hha slider pin sight). The bow is indeed a 2017, but the accessories might be 2014 but without asking it’s easy to assume the accessories will be equally as new as the bow. Not a huge deal but something to watch for and be aware of as it might effect your offering price, as well as what they will let it go for. Some bows have a lifetime “transferable” warranty and that weighed in on my decision.

ucfireman

I will look into the Archery talk site, never been on it.
As for budget, as cheap as possible for a decent set up. Realistically I figure 500 or less. I'm not into the high dollar stuff just want something that will shoot well and last. Plus I don't hunt exclusively with a bow or hunt that much.

ninjaneer

Find a good used Mathews Switchback, QAD fall away rest, and a Spott Hogg sight. You can fill your freezer and have money left.

rjcruiser

I will look into the Archery talk site, never been on it.
As for budget, as cheap as possible for a decent set up. Realistically I figure 500 or less. I'm not into the high dollar stuff just want something that will shoot well and last. Plus I don't hunt exclusively with a bow or hunt that much.

If you want to stick with the gonforum...there's a 2013 Obsession on their right now with the full set up for $450. Won't comment on whether or not it is a deal...you can internet search it and see if it is. The only thing you need is a release.

If you do think about it, check your drawlength and make sure that the bow above can be adjusted without having to buy expensive modules/cams. Some require parts to change drawlength, others require you to simply adjust a screw.

I understand wanting something now...but seriously, if you can wait until Jan/Feb, you'll save probably $100.

alligood729

Find yourself a good shop and shoot a few. Already been said but worth repeating. PSE, Bowtech, Hoyt, all have great package bows around the $650 mark, everything but arrows and a release. New bows carry a warranty, used ones don't. The Drive X from PSE is a super package. Like you said, you have plenty of time, use it well....

rjcruiser

Find yourself a good shop and shoot a few. Already been said but worth repeating. PSE, Bowtech, Hoyt, all have great package bows around the $650 mark, everything but arrows and a release. New bows carry a warranty, used ones don't. The Drive X from PSE is a super package. Like you said, you have plenty of time, use it well....

Not necessarily true. Some have lifetime warranties regardless of the owner....but in most cases, you're correct.

But I agree...go shoot some at a good shop when it isn't busy. You'll get a feel for your drawlength and what you like. Just keep your wallet at home and don't buy something that day. LOL.