Outdoors Without Limits

kthomas

This is Kirk Thomas the founder of the Wheelin' Sportsmen program. Wheelin' Sportsmen merged into the NWTF in October of 2000. After 7 years as the National Coordinator of the WS-NWTF program I tendered my resignation and founded the 501 C (3) non-profit Outdoors Without Limits (OWL) organization.

In an effort to meet our organizational mission OWL has developed a very unique, clean and open community chapter program. While we are extremely proud of our accomplishments and growth thus far we are more focused on expandable growth and future successes. Simply put, we have more folks to touch, get involved and lives to change.

It goes without saying, but as you know sportsmen appreciate and love the outdoors. Their a good group to hang your hat with. Some of these individuals are willing to help protect and promote their love of the outdoors through volunteerism. Volunteers do so, in an assortment of ways and with an assortment of different organizations. I personally applaud and thank each and everyone of these individuals for their support of any organization their involved with.

There are a lot of good organizations, causes and choices available for the outdoors-men to volunteer with and support. Saying this, as an outdoors-men your volunteerism efforts and support is needed and crucial.

However, volunteerism in this country has and will continue to change. I'm sure you'll agree with the fact that the economy has seen better times. Volunteers get involved with an organization because they want their time and support to make a difference. Volunteers do not want to, nor do they have the time to be full time fundraisers regardless of any organization they support. To go along with this, volunteers are tired of helping raise funding only to see it leave their community and be used to support an abundance of national directives, an assortment of internal programs, operational overhead etc. Added to this, volunteers are tired of not having any say so on how or where their funding support is spent.

Simply put, OWL understands the aforementioned and is uniquely different in that it has one simple mission which is to change and save lives of disabled and non-disabled people by providing outdoor recreational activities. We realize the importance of allowing our chapters the opportunity to keep a percentage of every dollar raised to better their communities and the people that live there. Our chapters are our partners. This is demonstrated by the fact that the product package used at chapter fundraising dinners is not marked up. OWL's buying power is passed along to our chapters allowing for reduced benefit cost and a greater financial return to the chapter. General benefit partnerships and table partnerships are not separated out and are included into the bottom line adding another financial value for our chapters and the community. We realize it's easy for a chapter to contribute to our mission when they can change lives by planning and hosting an event when they have the direct and available funding to pay for it. Again, our chapters are an invaluable asset and the key to our continued success, accomplishments and mission.....!

In 2012 OWL elected to have a complete and total organizational overview and analysis done. This was completed by an outside firm. Needless to say it covered every aspect associated with OWL. Nothing was left out. As a result of the analysis, we made several organizational and program design changes which contributed greatly and allowed OWL to have a record breaking 2012. Chapter recruitment increased, we more than doubled our National Ultimate Adventure events, new disabled participation increased by 176% and our overall attendance increased 236% and (not a bad year at all). This year 2013, we are again recruiting more chapters and are doubling our national events. Needless to say, 2013 to be another record setting year for OWL.

I want you to know this, OWL is like a big ole happy family (everybody helping everybody). We take pride in this and it doesn’t take long to see it. Our motto is simple, “if someone attends an event and they leave without feeling like part of the OWL family, then we failed them and OWL”.

Here are to old sayings I want you to think about. I use these all the time when evaluating OWL, “A precious stone cannot be polished without friction, nor will anything be perfected without trials” and “There’s a price to pay if you want to make things better, and a price you’ll pay for leaving things as they are”.

When and if you get involved with OWL please understand that you are as important to the success of OWL as I or anyone else.
Unlike many organizations we have one simple mission in that we want OWL to change and save lives of people. It doesn’t matter if their disabled or not. We are totally inclusive and believe that everyone regardless of their disability should have the opportunity to participate. It would be impossible to accomplish our mission without volunteers and community chapters. Everyone should have the opportunity to get involved and help change lives. This simple invitation is imperative to our overall growth.

I tell people involved all the time that “as an OWL family member it’s their fault if they don’t bring new ideas and needed changes to our attention. We must have input (positive and negative) from people involved. When this is done, it will allow us the opportunity to stay pro-active and successful.

Yes, I am the founder of OWL, but please don’t think for one minute that I have all the answers, “I don’t have and never will have”. OWL, the National Board and myself are dedicated to its mission and more than willing to better itself by making any contributing improvements and needed changes.

OWL is successful because of the folks who are involved and are helping OWL make a difference. After all, this is “where the rubber hits the road” and how and where the OWL mission is accomplished.

Please visit our website at outdoorswithoutlimits.net. We are currently having a new site and data base built by the Blake Design Group. The new data base should be up and running by the end of the week. There is a hidden page on the site that has a lot of information and forms our chapters use. Our Chapter “How to Manual” and other manuals are on this page. The manual pretty much explains OWL and how chapters operate.

The OWL National Board is scheduled to make a couple of needed changes within our bylaws. These changes while simple, will be extremely beneficial for our chapters. If your interested in starting an OWL community chapter please contact me, I will be more than happy to direct you to the hidden page.

Again, I would sincerely appreciate your involvement within OWL in anyway. OWL needs your help but most importantly their a lot of disabled individuals that dream of participating in an outdoor activity that need your help. The bottom line is quite simple, help us change lives by getting involved or helping start a community chapter where you live. What and how we do it is good stuff, allow OWL to be your life changing opportunity !!

Again, I look forward to answering any questions you might have as well as meeting you at an OWL event in the near future. I look forward to your reply. My direct email is kthomas@outdoorswithoutlimits.net. Respectfully, --- Kirk Thomas Executive Director / Founder
Edit/Delete Message

Last edited by a moderator: