Retirement

Artfuldodger

Maybe not to move, but one last dance before settling down should be at "Whiskey River Landing" outside Henderson, Louisiana! Right on the bayou, hole in the wall, live cajun band, cold drinks, and great people. Too much fun to miss.

You mentioned Lucinda on another thread. Layfayette is just down the road from Henderson;

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I guess we're all getting that age. We are discussing the same, but we're gonna keep our home and go where it's warm in the Winter.:cheers:

GeorgiaBob

For decades, I told my wife that I would simply NEVER retire to Florida! So for the past 10 years I have enjoyed my retirement in beautiful St Marys, GA where it takes a good throw to reach Florida across the river!

Turns out, it is a very good choice, and I take credit for marrying a very wise woman!

Jack Ryan

We're planning our last move.......where would you go?

"The lake" or "The river" with enough land I can not see any neighbor, neighbor's house, car, truck, or tractor. Can not hear, see or smell any neighbor's chickens, goats, ducks, pigs. No right of way or easement involvement of any kind. At the end of a dead end gravel road. No zoning or HOA of any kind. Surrounded by federal ground on every side if possible. Access from ground I own directly to navigable water with access to a lake or river if not directly on a lake or river.

All buildings must be covered completely with stone, brick, or steel. Absolutely NO WOOD of any kind or species exposed to the outside elements. Geo thermal central heating and air conditioning designed from the ground up to be capable of starting and running on a generator. Generator & fireplace designed with the intent to be capable of providing emergency heat to the living area. Generator, cook stove, and main water heater must be propane or natural gas and emergency lighting for the main living areas must have available gas lighting. Part of a geothermal system is a pre-heat tank using super heat wasted off the heat pump to pre-heat water for the water heater. This tank should be an electric water heater just used for the tank but with an available emergency hook up pre wired in during construction.

Water softener and water heater and potable water system designed with the intent to be CAPABLE of providing soft, hot, water to two outside frost free spigots or opposite corners of the house. Plumbing designed with the intent to be capable of using "alternative" water supply such as run off, rain, or ground water for toilet flushing irrigation needs.

Complete 360 degree wrap around porch with a giant stone out side fire place similar to what is often seen at park shelter houses and such. No porch railing of any kind between the porch posts or supports. Any steps and railing down from the porch must also be covered by a roof.

Steeply pitched metal roof on second floor with open second floor porch areas at each end facing east on one end and west on the other. On a south facing hillside NEVER ON THE NORTH. Two peaked gable second floor windows facing to the south and the north sides of the roof.

Two car garage with covered access to the porch/house.

Low or no taxes. Less people and no available land for more people to move in to. All four seasons.

Where ever I have to go to have all that or the closest I can get to it. Between Minnesota to Arkansa, Indiana to Idaho, Colorado, Arizona, Missouri, Georgia...

Any state touching the west coast, east coast, Gulf of Mexico is out, non starter.

Darien1

Eastern side of Lake Sinclair is really nice. I live at the end of a 2 mile gravel road with a gate at the paved road end. No thru traffic. Nice little subdivision of sometime weekenders. I can go weeks without seeing another human around here except for boats passing by

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I've always said I was born and Georgia and plan to die in Georgia. I would like to spend some time in Montana though.

Havana Dude

Always been a home body, I've lived within 20 miles of where I was born for 52 years. Anymore, though, I’m becoming more open to find a place as far away from people and traffic as I can get. We’re close to that now, but a change of scenery I wouldn’t be opposed to. Financially? I’m quite certain I will die here someday.

Argent11

I own 27 acres with the house here in NM. The problem is it's all
high desert if that's even a problem. A lot of people are going with
the all natural look with plants and fauna. If that's done well it
accually looks good and it doesn't need a whole lot of
maintenance.

Argent11

I put out corn for the mule deer they come in and hang out in the
morning. There is an eight point buck that is with that bunch.
They like my duck pond.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Dub

I want a place on the coast and a cabin in the mountains.......and a camper with a rig to tow it around wherever else we want to visit.

I'm almost 50....with several years left to work.

The place on the coast has been checked off the list and is being rented out now to long term tenants....sort of self funding.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
If it was up to me, I would spend the remainder of my life in the Piney Woods of SW Georgia.