Scientists worry brain-wasting ‘zombie deer’ disease could spread to humans

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Zabel believes the only way to get rid of CWD prions is to set controlled fires.

You gonna burn the whole United States or what?:huh:

DAVE

Zombie brain disease makes sense as to why we see "Zombie" type behavior of humans with cell phones.

turkeykirk

Too late. My wife says I already have it.:rofl:

D

Deleted member 35556

Here's what I'll say. CWD, it's only a matter of time before it's spread to the entire U.S. Deer Population unless some control is found. It's very similar to Mad-Cow or CJD. Mad Cow, which has jumped to Humans, has had very few infections in the U.S.. World wide, the infection rate is extremely low. Then you contrast that against the rate of beef consumption world wide, and you begin to understand the rate of infection. In the US, if you look at the rate of CWD consumed deer meat, I suspect it's just a matter of time (potentially a long time) before it jumps to humans. We haven't had the right human consume the right deer. However, as CWD spreads and becomes more common in deer, we could see a Human infected by it. At that point, the landscape of hunting will change massively.

PappyHoel

CWD will never affect the Georgia deer herd. Our deer only live about 3 year max and the subsequent offspring won't live long enough to contract it. Deer up there aren't hunted but 3 weeks out of the year so it spreads. That's my theory.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Wow! Rock and roll music in another deer video!!!!!?????????

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
CWD will never affect the Georgia deer herd. Our deer only live about 3 year max and the subsequent offspring won't live long enough to contract it. Deer up there aren't hunted but 3 weeks out of the year so it spreads. That's my theory.

Fawns can contract the disease. Also, plenty of deer live past 3 years old in GA.

D

Deleted member 35556

The yearling bucks are probably the culprits in spreading the disease predominantly. So a 1.5 year buck moves to new territory, and has time to spread the disease. At least, that's the thought on how it propagates. In terms of management, you're seeing an increase pressure on killing the yearling animals to stop the disease spread.

beginnersluck

It's not the disease as much as it is the prion that will infect, regardless of how early the deer die. Once the prion is present, it can be passed easily from deer to deer (or maybe even other animals??) whether it's fecal matter, water contamination, or dead deer decaying and leaving the prion protein in the ground.

Last edited: