Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Fortunately we have not had a documented case in GA at least that I have read about. However, it is now in Tennessee and I imagine it is only a matter of time before we start hearing about it here. In reading about CWD, largely about how apex predators help control it, I have come about a lot of information on how it spreads. Apparently anything that brings large numbers of deer, elk or moose together is not a good thing when it comes to combating the spread of this disease. The "prions" that cause this disease are continually shed by infected animals via nasal drippings, urine and fecal matter. I remember back in the 70s and early 80s when wild quail were fed by land owners via feeders as opposed to broadcast feeding, quail were also watered this way too...the land owners no longer do it that way. When I was a young man, a flu or some other virus spread like wildfire through many wild bird populations due to nasal drippings by infected quail at these feeder stations. That has led to these land owners and managers to do away with using feeding stations along with the fact feeding stations made them more prone to raptor predation. I wonder if deer feeders are going to have the same impact in spreading CWD when it finally reaches GA. The use of deer feeders is widespread throughout my part of the state. I will not use them because I just do not think they are good for the deer in the long run. I know Wyoming has a policy of feeding winter elk and deer herds and consequently Wyoming is known as a hot spot for CWD. Montana has been trying to get the feeding stations in Wyoming shut down, especially near the Montana border, because it appears most of Montana's CWD is near the Wyoming border and the Canadian border where feeding is done also. Interestingly enough, in parts of Montana where wolf hunting is limited, the CWD numbers tend to be lower too. With the way deer populations are in GA, we are going to be in for a rude awakening when CWD does get here, and it will have a severe impact on our deer hunting because you can not consume infected deer, and in many cases, what looks like a healthy deer could be an infected deer. You are required to test all deer/elk/moose harvested in regions of western states where it does exist before you can butcher it. CWD is a disease related to mad cow disease and they are not sure as to whether it can be transmitted to humans via consumption of deer meat. GA might consider taking some proactive measures and do away with deer feeders before the disease gets here. Because right now, I fear it will spread through our population like Sherman through GA if we do not take appropriate steps before it is too late.

buckpasser

It’s coming. It’ll suck.

Beenslayin

Yes I have always wondered why they would allow feeding when the stakes are so high. I also wondered why they allow you to import deer parts but you can buy a bottle of urine that comes from CWD states. I know they say the urine is tested but to me it isn't worth the risk.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
In reading that plan, it seems rather reactive as opposed to proactive. I am disappointed that it did not address deer feeders because cervid feeding stations are known to be hot spots for transmission.

The proactive part is all the surveillance we are currently doing in addition to prohibitions on the import of live deer and high-risk deer parts from CWD-positive states.

Page 7 addresses feeding:

"Feeding or baiting will be immediately prohibited in any county and adjacent county having identified a CWD positive animal pursuant to O.C.G.A. §§ 27-3-9, 27-3-24."

That is the limit of DNR's authority to limit or prohibit baiting. You would need to contact your elected officials to change that, DNR doesn't have the authority for a statewide ban.

Last edited:

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
The proactive part is all the surveillance we are currently doing in addition to prohibitions on the import of live deer and high-risk deer parts from CWD-positive states.

Page 7 addresses feeding:

"Feeding or baiting will be immediately prohibited in any county and adjacent county having identified a CWD positive animal pursuant to O.C.G.A. §§ 27-3-9, 27-3-24."

That is the limit of DNR's authority to limit or prohibit baiting. You would need to contact your elected officials to change that, DNR doesn't have the authority for a statewide ban.
I kind of passed over that part about the feeding, I would argue, and loose I realize, that feeding needs to totally outlawed before it gets here...Sadly it is already in SW Tenn. and in Mississippi getting closer to Alabama. It will only be a matter of time before it gets here.

Wifeshusband

If you go to the AON website they have a map showing CWD is knocking on their doorstep via TN. It's not if it gets here, it's when. AL now has a new law requiring a transfer certificate (kind of like a car title) you must complete no matter who you give your deer to, processor, taxidermist, and others. Even if you give your meat away free, this transfer paper must be completed and sent to state. This is in addition to their other reporting requirements. I can only assume they are trying to keep track of the meat ("chain of title") in case CWD is found.