Better late than never!

NCMTNHunter

Alright. I started out early spring quizzing you guys around here about youth guns and TSS reduced loads for my 7 year old daughter when she suggested that she wanted to try shooting this year instead of just tagging along. Settled on a 7/8oz load of #9 TSS in a 20 ga.

To be honest I didn't really think we would be able to pull it off but opening day this year she got her first turkey. The birds were quiet on our place opening weekend and we only heard one faint gobble opening morning.

That evening we set up on a big field where we had seen a lot of tracks. After we set up i had her practice holding her gun on a bare spot in the field that was about 30 yards out and while she was still aiming at the dirt I saw a turkey walk on the other end of the field. It was about 400 yards but I could tell it was a jake through the binoculars. When I told her it was a jake she said "can I shoot it?". I whispered back that we would have to get it a lot closer first.

I called as loud as I could and the dang thing took off running straight at us and covered the entire length of the field. When it finally stopped it was standing within 5 feet of the spot in the field where she had been practicing holding here gun. I told her to shoot as soon as she could hold the sight on his head. She sent him flopping to his demise with one shot. After I got the gun from her and secured it she tackled me with the biggest hug I've ever gotten. The Good Lord definitely handed that one to us on a silver platter. Seems like I just haven't had the time to fool with uploading pictures and getting it posted but better late than never I guess.

IMG_2451.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

wvdawg

Staff member
Oh boy! That smile says it all - congrats to the little huntress and her dad! Memories forever!

Steve Roberts

That's Awesome!!! That memory will last you both the rest of your lives!!! That smile does say it all!!! :fine:

six

Well, that was well worth the wait. Good job and congrats to her. I hope you two get to experience it many more time together!!!

Gaswamp

Nothing better than sharing a hunt with a youngin

Big7

The Oracle
Great story. Pic is worth a thousand words so I'll keep it short.

Keep em' in the woods or on the water.
That way, they won't be tempted to fall in
with the wrong crowd.

Great parenting and congratulations to your daughter
on a bird almost as big as she is!

:cheers: :banana: