Hunting Rifle

snooker1

What stock is better for a deer rifle, wood or composite. I am looking at getting a new 308 and I have stayed away from wood in the past for the simple fact that I don't want to invest that much money in something only to scratch it up going through the woods and up and down trees.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
One of them is pretty.

One of them is practically indestructible.

More of a personal preference than anything else.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
A wood stock has soul. Honest scars just add character to it.

misterpink

If max accuracy is your aim (pun) composite is easiest.

Wood can be made more accurate with bedding. But is is going to shrink and swell a little with the weather.

Composite is best for most hunters. Cheap. Easy to maintain. Virtually indestructible.

The only place wood wins is looks.

HuntinJake_23

Composite is usually lighter than wood, but as said above dents and scratches show character in a wood stock. My rifle was handed down to me by my dad and i can think of a bunch of memories just looking at it. And of course I treat it well, but it still gets the occasional scratch!! Plus IMO wood just looks good.

Attachments

• 8F01B3C9-8B74-4B4A-B1D3-EFC600D07E45.jpg
    8F01B3C9-8B74-4B4A-B1D3-EFC600D07E45.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 954

FOLES55

I’ve got both and love my wooden furniture over them all. Hate to scratch it but like said above. Those scratches come with many memories.

1gr8bldr

Wood can swell in the weather, Composite stays the same. The least bit of touch from the wood or composite can change how the gun shoots due to barrel harmonics. Most factory composites also need bedding and can change. Another issue, a hot barrel. In most circumstances, your first shot is not effected. So sight for the first shot, not after the barrel is warm. Or better, have either bedded

nmurph

I view guns as tools. I take care of all of my tools, but I don't care how pretty my hammer or rifle are. I only want them to go bang when I pull the trigger. One of the few things I do prefer in wood is an axe, sledgehammer, Pulaski, or shovel. I have never get cared for the feel of a fiberglass handle on any of those. On the flip, I worked my way through college doing construction. This was about the time that wood-handled hammers were on their out. I have used metal, fiberglass, and wood handles. In a hammet I definitely prefer a metal with wood being my second choice.

deers2ward

Composite stocks are typically a little lighter than their wooden counterparts. If you ever plan to hunt out west where weight is a consideration, and/or where you may spend days on end in wet weather, then composite is the most functionally efficient snd practical choice. If Jack O'Connor were alive today I'm sure he would agree (as well as agree that variable power scopes are now the way to go as well)

I doubt there are many who would debate whether or not wood is prettier or has more character. I'm sure most of our fathers and grandfathers, and many of our "first" guns have wooden stocks, so they will always be a part of who we are.

Buckstop

Composites are more stable and less affected by weather. Some also have aluminum bedding blocks that also provide rigidity. If your looking for the most in accuracy go with the composites. However, most wood stocks will still be very adequate for typical GA shot distances.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Composite is more practical, but I like wood better. I have plenty of both, but the wood-stocked ones are the only guns that I actually care about. They are the ones that become old friends-they have a personality that the plastic guns lack And like our own skins, every scar and ding on a wooden stock is a story and a memory.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
It would take a lot for a wood stock to cause a deer rifle to be unusable.

across the river

Think of it the same way as if you were buying a shotgun. If you are getting one to shoot skeet or quail, and wooden stocked double barrel with the engraving on the side would be a great gun. You aren't going to be in a position to really be beating it up, and it has two barrels to set up two separate chokes. If you are going to use it for duck hunting and it is riding in the boat, getting wet, getting muddy, etc.... you are better off going with a composite stocked pump or semi auto to hold up to the elements better. I would approach the rifle the same way. If you are going to use it to sit in a box blind out of the elements in a position that won't put it through a lot of harsh use, wood is great, looks better, and has more "personality" in that each wood stock is different. If you a going to use it in a climber, walking a long way through the woods in rain, sleet, and snow, get the composite as it will hold up better.

Nimrod71

I have got both and let me tell you, the deer don't care which you have. Being said, wood is the one's that mean the most to me. I have a 700 BDL that is well worn and has the look of a hunter's rifle. As I have been told by men who know, you can tell a carpenter by his tools. You can tell a real woodsman and hunter by his rifle. Yes the plastic is lighter, better in weather, but it lacks, as above, a soul. Wood is real, it gives a rifle a special feel and look, heck it can even become a part of the family. I have a Winchester1886 that was by great grandfather's. One of my cousins has my grandfather's Parker. Yes, wood will get beat up, but you do the best to take care of it. Some even name the rifles, remember Dan Boone and rifle. As time goes by, the wood will mean the most, you will remember each mark and each will have a story. For in the end when the hunter makes that last hunt he will look and remember the great days of his rifle.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
A wood stock has soul. Honest scars just add character to it.

An thas all there ares.

I have both but the wood stock rifles spend the most time in the woods.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
This is a Model 1885. It wouldn`t look right with anything but wood. :)

Attachments

• Quigley1.jpg
    Quigley1.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 298
  • Quigley2.jpg
    Quigley2.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 298
  • Quigley4.jpg
    Quigley4.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 296
  • Philfarm25.jpg
    Philfarm25.jpg