Gun Safe

lildorris00

I am looking to buy a big nice gun safe. My question: Is there a difference between gun safes? Quality? Options? Price? I have never looked into/bought a safe.

uturn

Yes there is, I'm sure other folks will chime in on this one!

The options are almost endless now but, I would say look into the fire rating as the 1st item of concern, temp and time that they are rated for then the security and qaulity of construction, the locking style or mechanism and key pad, digital or not etc..

Accessories that come with it or can be added for personal liking, rifles it will hold, hand guns, other valuables and so on.

I have a Browning Pro Steel that is 6' tall I've had for 10/12 yrs now it is a super nice one, I got the world in it and then some it was not cheap but, today designs are much better even the same one I have is better thought out for storage and options of the before mentioned.

Don't forget to pick up a good dehumidifier with it!

Take your time in your search to find one to your liking, spend a little more and get a whole lot more in my opinion!!

Hope that helps good luck in your search!

Triple C

Can't tell where you live but if you are anywhere near NE GA check out Sporting Arms in Winterville GA. Huge dealer for Liberty Safes. Love mine and it's huge.

deers2ward

Main differences are going to be construction, capacity, and fire rating.

One consideration could be the location of the safe. For example, a remote cabin in Montana that could burn to the ground and no one would ever notice is a situation where you would want maximum fire rating, as well as security (heavy, thick, robust and complex locking mechanism and door). If you live in a dense suburban area where you/you neighbors would see a fire/be alerted to a break-in, you have cameras, an alarm, etc….you could likely get by with more economical safe like a “stack on” that bolts into the floor.

Many nice safes out there……if money is no object I would recommend a Crown.

Whatever brand you pick, my advice is, buy the biggest safe you can/your wife will let you……I promise no matter how many guns you have, you WILL fill it up with other stuff. Documents, jewelry, heirlooms, etc…talk about all that stuff (and not firearms) when you are selling her on it.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Whatever brand you pick, my advice is, buy the biggest safe you can/your wife will let you……I promise no matter how many guns you have, you WILL fill it up with other stuff. Documents, jewelry, heirlooms, etc…talk about all that stuff (and not firearms) when you are selling her on it.
^^^This^^^

Doolydawg03

^^^This^^^

Again this i bought one 4 yrs ago and i didn't buy one big enough of course like said above my wife has more in the safe than i do with the amount of pictures documents jewelry etc my safe is now full and im planning on having to get another one. BUY THE BIGGEST SAFE YOU CAN AFFORD........I have a browning and its very nice and it came with lots of accessories. Good luck in your search

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Again this i bought one 4 yrs ago and i didn't buy one big enough of course like said above my wife has more in the safe than i do with the amount of pictures documents jewelry etc my safe is now full and im planning on having to get another one. BUY THE BIGGEST SAFE YOU CAN AFFORD........I have a browning and its very nice and it came with lots of accessories. Good luck in your search

Or find a deal on a big one and buy two of them. One for her, one for your guns. That is what I wish I had done. :banginghe

Rich M

We have 2 - she uses one for laptops, cameras, etc. The larger is used for guns, ammo, fishing reels, etc.

Got 1 at Costco and 1 at Tractor Supply. Got the first one after we were robbed.

Check fire ratings - some are an hour, some more some less.

Do yourself a favor and have it delivered. You can move it around easy enough on a piece of cardboard - no sense letting people you don't know where your safe is going.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
We have 2 - she uses one for laptops, cameras, etc. The larger is used for guns, ammo, fishing reels, etc.

Got 1 at Costco and 1 at Tractor Supply. Got the first one after we were robbed.

Check fire ratings - some are an hour, some more some less.

Do yourself a favor and have it delivered. You can move it around easy enough on a piece of cardboard - no sense letting people you don't know where your safe is going.
I moved mine on a 6x10 trailer and into it's final resting place using a hand truck to tilt it and put 1" conduit pipes under it for rolling it around. Works like a charm.

kaddiddle

i will say it again, get the biggest you can afford or have space for. Not only will the wife find all kinds of stuff to put in it, wedding photo album, jewelry etc, from my experience when they say it is a 24 gun case they mean 24 guns and not guns with scopes or shotguns with 30 in barrels.

ryanh487

With scoped rifles you'll be able to fit about 1/2 the guns it says you can fit. I'm just going to have an 8×10 reinforced concrete room with a vault door built in the basement of my next house.

Gut_Pile

What everyone else said. If you get one to hold 24 guns, plan on getting about 10-12 in there

nmurph

I agree with every post above, especially about size. It WILL fill up with other stuff. The nice part is, when you leave home for a few days you won't worry if your valuables will be there when you get back. A "crew" could certainly break into most any gun safe. But almost without exception, the average drug-driven residential thieves are looking for quick, easy snags. They don't come equipped for an extended stay. What is inside a gun safe is very likely going to be there when you get home...TV's and computers...well, there probably headed to the pawn shop or CL.

leeledger

Check the thickness of the walls. Bass Pro had two on display that were very similar,but one had thicker walls. The Browning safes also had a "real" dial combination lock. It is a pain to "turn left fives times, turn right four times" every time you want to get a gun out. My Cannon safe has a push button combination lock. Very easy to get into when I want something out of it.

308 WIN

When you think you found the right size, GO ONE SIZE BIGGER!!

And, when you think you've found the right safe, check the sticker that says made in china, yes even the ones marked Browning and Winchester. Then buy the biggest Liberty you can afford, made in Utah, USA. Well worth their price.

Davexx1

I have looked at many, talked to safe company reps, etc. and think the mid-line Liberty brand safes would be the best for us. Of course you can buy a much better, much more expensive gun safe, but you have to buy what your budget will allow. My BIL bought a Liberty Fatboy Jr 48 safe, then a few years later bought a second one to keep some new guns, stockpile of ammo, and all of their other valuables in.

Keep in mind that a small light safe could easily be picked up and carried or hand cart wheeled off to their nearby pick up truck by a couple of men.

As gun owners we have the responsibility to protect our guns and keep them out of the hands of criminals and others.

Dave

bullgator

Buy bigger than you currently need. You'll fill it up a lot faster than you think.
Get one with an electrical out so you can plug in a dehumidifing rod.
Really look at the way the interior is set up. When they say it holds xx amount of guns, they mean slim guns with not scopes or pistol grips. They also put them directly in line when they should stagger them instead. I think the Pendleton safe do the best at interior design.

Rich M

I moved mine on a 6x10 trailer and into it's final resting place using a hand truck to tilt it and put 1" conduit pipes under it for rolling it around. Works like a charm.

I've reached a point in life where common sense is finally getting more common. I'll gladly pay a nominal fee for someone else to do the heavy lifting. $100 aint worth a long-term injury.

Side note - we used a 1,500# electric boat winch to pull a 350# safe up a long flight of stairs once. Worked okay. The movers slid it down the stairs and one of them crushed a toe. The other two made fun of him for having gotten in the way. He needed surgery to fix his foot.

SIDE NOTE - get what you can afford. Sue some of these things are built like tanks, the idea is to protect your stuff. Not many crooks will mess with any safe other than trying to pull it open.

Come to another point - keep it locked at ALL times - if you leave it open it does you no good.