Bought Ammo Online

Mario7979

I have been buying ammo for a very long time.... All the ammo that I bought the brass looked very good.... I purchased 300 Black Out from Bass Pro and when I reviewed them opened all 5 boxes and they were tarnished in my opinion bad.... will include a pic....are they safe to use.... Bass Pro is sending me 5 more boxes.... I just do not feel safe using them.... What is anyone's opinion....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231201_164803_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231201_164803_Gallery.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 71

Mario7979

This is what happened to me years ago to my Savage 300 win mag.... had to have a new barrel put on....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231201_165409_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231201_165409_Gallery.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 53
  • Wow
Reactions: Dub

bullgator

They should be fine. I’ve polished brass to almost a reflective shine, and after a few months stored in the garage they look much duller than when I put them there. There’s a big difference between tarnish and corrosion.

transfixer

I have been buying ammo for a very long time.... All the ammo that I bought the brass looked very good.... I purchased 300 Black Out from Bass Pro and when I reviewed them opened all 5 boxes and they were tarnished in my opinion bad.... will include a pic....are they safe to use.... Bass Pro is sending me 5 more boxes.... I just do not feel safe using them.... What is anyone's opinion....

I see nothing wrong with them, the part next to the projectile is simply annealed , (normal heat treating during production) the rest of the case is a little tarnished, no corrosion seen, they are fine to shoot , I can tumble brass and get it all bright and shiny and a few months later it will look like that as well

Mario7979

I want to thank you all for the replys.... I was think the same thing had already shot 4 rounds thr the barrel before it split.... and again thanks....

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
They are fine to shoot. I've shoot surplus ammo from WW2 that had corrosion on the cases, clean it off and sent it down range.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have shot plenty of ammo with thick rust and green stuff all over it with no ill effects. Looks also to me like annealing on the necks. If it's .300BO, it's made from necked-up 5.56 cases, which often come from LC, and are always annealed like that.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I want to thank you all for the replys.... I was think the same thing had already shot 4 rounds thr the barrel before it split.... and again thanks....
A split barrel would have absolutely nothing to do with tarnished cases. That is almost always an obstruction, or shooting the wrong size bullet. Could have been a squib lodged in there.

tcward

What brand of ammo is it?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
that barrel didn't split because of tarnished brass. There were some compressive forces behind that event. The barrel had to be blocked by something.... squib load, dirt, or grease. Something wouldn't let the bullet go down that tube

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
You would freak out if you saw some of the ammo I left in a leather belt pouch.
So green it should have leaves.