Can ammo be reworked?

bigpatch

Hi, I'm not a reloader or gunsmith so this maybe a dumb question. I got a new Henry 45-70 this summer and have ran Steinel 405 and 500 gr ammo with no issues, I have also ran some 300 gr Black butterfly with no issues. I bought a box of Grizzly 350 gr +p and it won't fully chamber, bolt and lever doesn't close all the way. Can a reloader do anything with these so they will chamber?
Steinel 500 gr on left Grizzly 350 on right side

Attachments

• IMG_20231208_073320138_MP.jpg
    IMG_20231208_073320138_MP.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20231208_072721185_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231208_072721185_HDR.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 23

Jester896

Senior Clown
if you pushed that bullet down in that case the crimp may cause the case to dimple or worse.

Have you called them and asked about them not chambering and can you return it? Since it is out of spec?

transfixer

Its hard to tell from a picture, but the one on the right doesn't seem to be crimped ? I suppose it could be ran through a case checker to see if its sized correctly ?

But I would contact them and see about getting them to make it right before I would try doing anything on my own

Jester896

Senior Clown
I may be off base but to me it looks like the lead round has a nice roll or profile crimp and the jacketed bullt has what looks like a FDC type crimp just under the top of the cannalure where it should be. If you push that back something else will have to give :huh:

bigpatch

Its hard to tell from a picture, but the one on the right doesn't seem to be crimped ? I suppose it could be ran through a case checker to see if its sized correctly ?

But I would contact them and see about getting them to make it right before I would try doing anything on my own
I did but I didn't get any response

transfixer

If you can find someone with 45-70 dies that can remove the decapper portion of the die and simply try and run the loaded cases gently up into the sizing die, it may be the case is slightly bulged in the bullet area, or maybe were not completely full length sized before loading ? You could probably take a set of calipers and measure that case against the ones you've been using and see where those are oversized at ?

I don't have any 45-70 dies or I'd be willing to try it for you, as I'm probably not far from you since I'm in Douglas county

bigpatch

I did measure against the cartridges the do chamber, I don't have the measurements in front of me but I do remember some of them being larger

01Foreman400

Staff member
Have you tried calling them? I wouldn’t mess with factory ammo.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Grizzly Cartridge

1-503-556-3006

Give them a chance to make it right. Sounds like a possible cartridge sizing error.
If they don’t respond or give you satisfaction tell them your next move is a complaint to the BBB. I think you’ll get a response.

Jester896

Senior Clown
they also have a feedback area on their site about that specific round at the bottom in reviews

bigpatch

Grizzly Cartridge

1-503-556-3006

Give them a chance to make it right. Sounds like a possible cartridge sizing error.
If they don’t respond or give you satisfaction tell them your next move is a complaint to the BBB. I think you’ll get a response.
I called and got one of the office ladies. I forwarded the email I previously sent to her address and she took my number said she would give the information to the owner. Hopefully they make it right but I'm not holding my breath on it

Latest posts