Time to Buy Guns and Ammo

JR924

With all the political and demand issues, was wondering if I should buy the guns and ammo or wait. I am just starting out collecting. I have other stuff to buy so I could put off on buying the guns and ammo. I want to buy WW2 guns (have Nangant and Ariska but want Endfield, French MAS, K98, M1 Garand and M1 Carbine), a big bore gun (45-70, 375 ruger, 9.6x62 ec), Varmint gun 223 and 44 mag Blackhawk. Some of the WW2 guns are out of sight on price like the M1 Carbine. Need scopes and accessories as well. Ammo for some WW2 guns is hard to get and expensive. Was wondering if I should buy as quick as possible and what I should buy first and what can wait if the price will stabilize and will come down. Was hoping if the Republicans take the house, prices will come down or at least stabilize. Thanks in advance

SC Hunter

I can tell you this and some people's opinion is different. My opinion is buy as much ammo as you can whenever you can. If I buy guns now their usually in a caliber I've already got so I don't have to buy another caliber of ammo. I've ordered 3 lowers to go with uppers I've either got already or will buy soon. I won't buy a new caliber right now. My big calibers are 6.5 creedmoor, 243, 7mm-08 and 308. That's what I'm working on having enough ammo for my kids to shoot when I'm gone. Of course I buy 22, 223 and 9mm when I see it at a decent price as well. I want to have enough ammo that it's an issue when we move houses.

I don't forsee a drastic change in guns and ammo coming with the change being good for buyers.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Buying guns and ammo is something that must be done over time as good opportunities come your way.

If you try to do it all at once, you'll spend way too much, and be very limited as to what you can get.

In the near term, this ain't the time. There won't be any deals to be had, and frenzied buying will keep prices stupid.

We've been thru this with Clinton, Obama, and now Biden. Any time there is a shooting, the frenzy starts again.

If we wind up with a republican in the white house, things will return to sorta normal.

Start with basic, common weapons, basic, common ammo, and don't let a reasonable deal pass you by.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Here's an example of a good deal that should be jumped on...

http://forum.gon.com/threads/308-good-price-and-free-shipping.1018429/#post-13400025

Very reasonable at this point in time...

Almost sorry I don't need any... ?

I got caught a little short back in about '08, and decided to never let that happen again.

I sure hope I never have to move again, because as @SC Hunter mentioned, how to move all the ammo would be a problem... ?

My pile's been in progress for 30 years, a few boxes at a time.

trial&error

If you got the money get started it's going to get better just never back to where it was. I know lots of us are hoping it would, but given the current inflation. Welcome to the new normal. I won't be buying ammo anytime soon thankfully.

Nimrod71

Buy ammo. If you know what calibers you will be using pick them up as you run across them. I know 5.56/223, 308, 7.61 X 39, 9 mm, 45 acp are more available now but other military calibers are still hard to find. Good luck with your collection.

Big7

The Oracle
I've spent around a grand on ammo in the last 2 months.

It ain't going back down.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Think about what you want and need in weapons. During Obama I sold many of my odd caliber guns. I thought about what I needed and narrowed my calibers and gauges down to a few. I began to stock pile ammo for those guns and continue when I see a good deal. I also setup to hand load rifle and pistol calibers I use. I’m set for my life time and if they conserve so are my children.

earlthegoat2

The best time to buy guns and ammo was 50 years ago. The second best time is right now.

I decided to massively reduce my amount of firearms recently. I have sold 5 and bought one in the last month. All the “profits” went to buying more ammo. I would like to also get a multipurpose semi auto shotgun. But that will be it for my staples.

I figured I would specialize in a few different gun types and forget the rest. I know. Boring. I’m still youngish but I have owned, sold, and shot hundreds of different firearms. I consider myself lucky to have such a volume of direct experience with so many.

Im glad I never owned all of them at the same time. That just seems like a waste of resources but to each their own.

If you want to start a collection of milsurps, that is good. It is wise to have focus in a class of items of which there are endless variables (That being all firearms) Before long though, you may find yourself with many of the same milsurps. You may then want to narrow your focus.

I used to collect S&W pre-locks. Before long I had 8 j frames, 7 k frames, 2 L frames, and 4 N-frames. Basically, I just bought every one of them that I could afford. This was silly. Soon I pared it down to 1 or 2 of my favorites of each type. Then I got rid of K and L frames entirely. Then I got rid of all 357s. Then I got rid of all with longer than 3“ barrels. so basically all I would buy now is an N frame larger than 357 caliber with a 3” or shorter barrel. Research it a little and you will understand why I haven’t bought a pre-lock Smith in over 5 years. Haha. I did buy a Ruger RedHawk Backpacker in that timeframe though.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Think about what you want and need in weapons. During Obama I sold many of my odd caliber guns. I thought about what I needed and narrowed my calibers and gauges down to a few. I began to stock pile ammo for those guns and continue when I see a good deal. I also setup to hand load rifle and pistol calibers I use. I’m set for my life time and if they conserve so are my children.

I did the same thing, with regard to getting rid of all the odd ball calibers.

All I have now is standard, common stuff.

I do not miss the oddballs, either.

Nothing a .32 Win Special will do that a .30-.30 won't...:)

RNC

What is it you want most ?