New license fee

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Before saying it's for wildlife take time to check into the GA DNR budget.

There are lines in there like 20% pay increase for LE. 3.7 million total.
Retention and recruiting bonuses over a million.

Trust but verify the man said.

tealdeal

You are a landowner and hunt your own land.......you don't need a hunting lic. I already pay a bunch in tax money every year on the land I own.
I hunt land I own in GA. I live in FL. I have to have a non-resident big game license to hunt my own land. I think that is complete horse pucky.:huh:

The Fever

Before saying it's for wildlife take time to check into the GA DNR budget.

There are lines in there like 20% pay increase for LE. 3.7 million total.
Retention and recruiting bonuses over a million.

Trust but verify the man said.

Good point. Who needs well paid and motivated Law Enforcement for the game laws we have in place. Its such a racket!!! What has a LE official ever done to help preserve and protect wildlife or our sport in general?!?!

facepalm:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Good point. Who needs well paid and motivated Law Enforcement for the game laws we have in place. Its such a racket!!! What has a LE official ever done to help preserve and protect wildlife or our sport in general?!?!

facepalm:

Your right as always. They get to work in the outdoors chasing law breakers with guns. That alone is reward enough. :hair:

The Fever

My problem with the tax is that is was not fair. Georgia residents that hunt deer have an 85% increase in fees, while non-residents incurred only a 15% increase. Why not make it equal percentage increase across the board? Some of the Georgia residents will see a 200% increase on certain license. This is my gripe!

You mean your other problem other than classifying it as a tax?

Non-residents already pay an enormous fee. Raise it more and you cut down on the number of licenses purchases. Cut down the number of licenses and you cut down the share of Pittsman-Robertson money you get. Cut down the share of conservation funds you cut down the funding for your public lands. Cut down lands you further cut down license sales as people will be discouraged from hunting crowded hunting lands. This is called a death spiral in accounting. It what happens if you suffer from a lack of a hollistic understanding about the system and instead implement a "what have you done for me now?" mentality.

Georgia has an enormous amount of public land to hunt. More than many states. They need officials to man these lands and many counties don't even have a warden. Check back here this fall and see how many people suffer from trespassers and can't do anything about it because they are so short staffed. They are adding 40 new game wardens to the crew. I lived for 14 years in Georgia and I was never stopped by a single warden in all my time on public lands. I saw people doing all kinds of stuff they shouldn't and they got away with it. I've since moved to florida, where licenses are more, and I have been checked more times than I haven't. Funny thing. Don't have people shooting ducks before daylight. When we had a trespassing issue, they were caught within days. When I pick up the phone with a question, I am patched through to a GW who offered to meet with me and go through the various new regulations that were confusing. Every one of those jokers are kind as can be but do their dadgum job.

So take a step back, breathe, and realize that the paltry increase is the first in 25 years, is on par with the surrounding states, and will help the hunting community as a whole, not just your small and super important sphere in the boro.

If you can't swing the extra ten bucks I'll mail it to you annually.

Oldstick

Several years ago when I turned 60 I took advantage of the deal at the time. It has already paid for itself big time.

And I was planning on doing that too come October when I turn 60. But not now at the price of $315.

I was cheaper to pre-purchase 5 years (covering 60-65) of what I needed at the old prices, even factoring in the additional $70 at age 65. So that is what I did in June.

Last edited:

hoyt84

I bit the bullet and bought myself and two year old daughter (I hope she likes to hunt/fish one day!) a lifetime license last month. I have never minded buying a yearly license. For less than $30 I can do something I love for 4 months out of the year. That is cheap IMO. And hopefully a portion of that will help preserve the sport I love in GA for the next generation.

cowhornedspike

Yep but what can we do?

Works that way in almost every state so don't act like GA is picking on y'all. If you want to hunt as a GA resident then become one...simple enough.

I live in GA and have land in north FL and still pay as a non-res to hunt and fish in FL. Oh well.:deadhorse:

Bob Wallace

Works that way in almost every state so don't act like GA is picking on y'all. If you want to hunt as a GA resident then become one...simple enough.

I live in GA and have land in north FL and still pay as a non-res to hunt and fish in FL. Oh well.:deadhorse:

I understand that and I'm not complaining about it at all. I gladly pay GA, SC and FL license fees.

Public Land Prowler

I'm fine with the increase.DNR is also purchasing land,and more things.HAve to manage the resource and conserve habitat.When you spend hundreds and thousands a year to hunt a small increase is a drop in the bucket.Ga is too liberal with hunting as it is.Go out west if you want to see real resource management.

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I'm fine with the increase.DNR is also purchasing land,and more things.HAve to manage the resource and conserve habitat.When you spend hundreds and thousands a year to hunt a small increase isn't a drop in the bucket.Ga is too liberal with hunting as it is.Go out west if you want to see real resource management.

Welcome home stranger

Unicoidawg

Staff member
I own property to was told by Georgia DNR you do not need a licence to hunt your own land.

Go ahead and try that........ see what happens when you get caught.::gone:

roscoe54

My goodness calm down I purchase a licence because I hunt other property beside my own. Just going by what I was told on the phone by Ga DNR. Have a blessed day.

Bob Wallace

I read that also if you own land in GA and are a resident you don't need to purchase a license. You still have to report kills though. I'm no legal scholar but I swear I read that.