Question on Huntling License

NWS

Hey folks a quick question. This has probably been addressed before but I’m too lazy to do a search LOL. Anyway I have a lifetime license. I print a new one every year, harvest record so on and so forth. My brother (longtime GA born native & hunter) now lives out of state & is coming down for a couple of days of deer hunting. Does he need to have a paper copy of his Non Resident Hunting & Big Game license and Harvest Record or will online do? Once we set everything up online, if he does shoot a deer can he just game check / report it on the online app? I always carry a paper copy of my license and he does too in the past in case of cell phone failure. We may not have access to a printer to print a hard copy before we go out. I think if we got checked an online check of his license and game check would suffice since it is now all computerized. Just need to be sure the kill is reported online (or on the paper harvest record sheet which we might not have a hard copy) before moving it. Perhaps Charlie K. can answer this one. If I can get to a printer obviously we would print a paper copy of the license and harvest record however we may not have access to a printer in time.

Last edited:

NWS

Looks like no need to have a paper copy anymore. Just make sure any kill is reported either online or by phone before moving it.

Gator89

Hey folks a quick question. This has probably been addressed before but I’m too lazy to do a search LOL. Anyway I have a lifetime license. I print a new one every year, harvest record so on and so forth. My brother (longtime GA born native & hunter) now lives out of state & is coming down for a couple of days of deer hunting. Does he need to have a paper copy of his Non Resident Hunting & Big Game license and Harvest Record or will online do? Once we set everything up online, if he does shoot a deer can he just game check / report it on the online app? I always carry a paper copy of my license and he does too in the past in case of cell phone failure. We may not have access to a printer to print a hard copy before we go out. I think if we got checked an online check of his license and game check would suffice since it is now all computerized. Just need to be sure the kill is reported online (or on the paper harvest record sheet which we might not have a hard copy) before moving it. Perhaps Charlie K. can answer this one. If I can get to a printer obviously we would print a paper copy of the license and harvest record however we may not have access to a printer in time.

Yep, download the app on your brother's phone. Report a kill using the app and a confirmation number will be generated.

It is necessary to have a DL or ID card available to show the GW if he checks you.

Last edited:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Looks like no need to have a paper copy anymore. Just make sure any kill is reported either online or by phone before moving it.
Correct! You can do everything on your phone, just remember to Game Check it before you move the carcass. It works even if you don't have service.

NWS

Thanks Charlie! It’s amazing how technology has changed our lives. I bet the automated game check process has significantly improved your game management efforts

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Then you gotta go back to camp to check the deer in before moving it. LOL

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
What if phone is back at camp ?
Either take your phone with you or take a paper harvest record, either way will keep you legal. I wouldn't think you would get a ticket if the deer never left the club before you Game Checked it back at camp, but technically you are supposed to either mark a paper harvest record with the date or Game Check it before moving the carcass.

Mars

I went duck hunting on the river one morning, when I got back to the ramp Mr Green Jeans was sitting there by my truck. He wanted to see my duck stamp. I pull out my lifetime license and stamp and he says he doesn't need to see my license because he ran the plates on my truck and got my license. Everything is online these days.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Thanks Charlie! It’s amazing how technology has changed our lives. I bet the automated game check process has significantly improved your game management efforts

I'm really loving the county-level data, we can do so many more things that we just couldn't before. We've been looking at late breeding activity in SW GA and it really bolstered the argument to collect conception data when you can look at exactly when the peaks in harvest are occurring in each county.

Latest posts