WHY NOW?

JCASH

HAD TO GO DOWN AND PULL OUR STANDS OUT OF THE WOODS THIS PAST WEEKEND. WE WERE JUST INFORMED LAST WEEK THAT THE LOGGERS ARE STARTING TO CUT THE PROPERTY STARTING TODAY.
I KNOW THE LAND OWNER IS IN THE TIMBER BUSINESS, NOT HUNTING BUSINESS, BUT THE TIMING REALLY BITES AS THE SEASON IS JUST GETTING IN FULL SWING.
IS THERE A REASON TO CUT IN THE FALL INSTEAD OF THE SPRING?
MARKET PRICE?
SAP GOING DOWN?
WE WERE TOLD THEY ARE CUTTING FOR PULP.

contender*

I imagine it just came your time. Did you know they were gonna cut the timber when you leased the land?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
At least you got a heads up!

JCASH

IF ANOTHER MEMBER HAD NOT BEEN DOWN LAST WEEK AND HAPPENED TO RUN INTO THE TREE MAN FLAGGING LOADING DOCK LOCATIONS WE WOULD HAVE HAD A HUGE SURPRISE.
NO PHONE CALL OR OTHER CONTACT MADE TO GIVE US THE DATE

specialk

i would talk to the loggers and see if they wouldn't mind you hunting while they cut. my cousins are in the timber biz and they let hunters hunt while they cut. they have deer walk up to the loaders while they are working and cutting timber. in fact one of my cousins has shot deer while sitting in the loader. if the weather stays dry and they have no break downs they should be out fairly quickly....good luck....

BROWNING7WSM

GONetwork Member
As mentioned above, good weather and they will wipe it out. Ours was cut several years ago during the season and we still killed a good number of deer. It is a little frustrating listening to the equipment but the deer are curious and we saw a good many deer near dark when they would come out to inspect after the loggers shut down for the day.

treedawg

I doubt they waited to cut your lease.

I'm sure the loggers are on a schedule and this could have been planned for 6 months or more. This was probably as soon as they could get around to it.

The largest deer I've ever killed was within 50 feet of a loading dock. You could smell the grease and diesel from my stand.

TD

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
The most deer that I ever saw in a season was in 1998 when Weyerhauser thinned the 300 acres we had leased in Crawford County. Most of the logging crews do not work on weekends....especially if you make them aware that you will be hunting.

Hunt the fresh cuts...They attract more deer than any food plot,salt lick or white oak ever have. I don't know why...Curiosity maybe? but you should have a great year.:yeah:

S

Sugar Hill Scouter

I hear you screamin' !!!!
Been there, done that, too. Landowners have no regard for us hunters. They only see $$$$. I've had 'em cut during turkey season, too.:banginghe

JCASH

I AGREE THE HUNTING SHOULD ONLY IMPROVE.
ITS JUST A SHAME THAT OUR STANDS WERE SET-UP AND ALSO OUR FOOD PLOTS HAD ALREADY BEEN PLANTED AND ARE DOING WELL. THE EQUIPMENT WILL PROBABLY WIPE THOSE OUT HOWEVER. GOOD MONEY AND HARD LABOR TO BE LOST.