These "1st's" aren't any fun.....

Arrow3

I lost my father January 8th of this year. Obviously, we were just through the holidays and most of our birthdays. Here we are , almost a year already. I got through Father's day by basically ignoring it. We had Thanksgiving and it just wasn't the same. Now we have my mothers, brothers, and my birthday coming up this month along with Christmas. Then it will be his birthday and the day he died . All of these 1sts ... I didn't get to show him my gobblers this past spring, Nor the 8 point I killed this deer season. I hated seeing my father go down hill with his health . He loved the outdoors so much and then it got to the point that he couldn't even walk to the mailbox.

Ive said it before and i'll say it again. Get out and enjoy life to the fullest. One day you will wake up and it'll all be behind you.

GeorgiaBob

Eight years ago my Mother passed. She was the last of my wife's and my parents to die. I joked to my wife that we were orphans! Only it turns out the joke was on me, in a very sad way. Losing that entire generation of our families changes everything. Christmas is smaller, less important, without our parents. Mother's day and Father's day don't mean much without them around. Family celebrations are more difficult to organize. And I am always looking for parent's who have moved on to better things.

I have grandkids to brighten my life as I try to teach them a thing or two about living well, loving life, being honorable, serving others, and appreciating God's many gifts. But I know I am not as good at that as my Dad. Dad's been gone for over a decade and I still miss him.

You are so very right. Get out in the world, live well, do good, celebrate each and every day.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
My mother died about 25 years ago, then my father about 15 years ago. My older sister died 5 years ago. It's been rough even after all them years. The rest of my family is here and there, but it ain't like it was when everyone was around. Parents are the glue that hold the family tight.

Redbow

My Grandpa that helped raise me and his Wife my Grandmother left this Earth many decades ago. Grandpa died in 1958, Grandma in 1964. I still miss those old farming people every day of my life. My parents are also gone, my Stepdad died in 2017 and my Mom in 2019. Going to the old home place where my Sister now lives is always bittersweet. Hold on to the memories no matter how badly it hurts until we see our loved ones again in a much better place. There will be no sickness, sorrow, weeping nor death there, Jesus Christ took care of that for us all.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Truth. I lost my dad several years ago, and my mom a couple months ago. It's rough.

oldfella1962

Truth. I lost my dad several years ago, and my mom a couple months ago. It's rough.
A couple years back over about a two-year period my wife lost her father, mother & only (younger) sister - and I lost my mom. Also add to the mix during this period & slightly before, a few of my wife's cousins, aunts, & whatnot. :(

ditchdoc24

I lost my mother to cancer in 2002, about the time my wife and I were getting serious. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish my mom had been able to meet my wife and see her grandkids. My family collapsed after my parents divorced 30 years ago and I didn't speak to my father for close to 15 years. The only reason I have contact with him now is for my kids. I try and make sure every day that my whole family knows exactly how much I love them. Life is too short for there to be any doubt in your loved ones' hearts about how much you care for them.

fatback

Lost my first wife in 2007 and my mother in 2018. I miss them both very much. The worst though for me is that as my daughters grow up and start experiencing good life milestones like getting a driver’s license, graduations, getting engaged, married etc…. I am alway very happy and excited for them but a part of me is also very sad that those I have lost aren’t here to experience and celebrate them with us because I know how much they would have enjoyed these occasions. Such is the way of life and death. As mentioned previously, make the most of each day and never pass up the chance to tell somebody how much you love them and how much they mean to you.

basstrkr

All these things are true and heartfelt and I feel and agree with everyone. I also appreciate that my folks didn't have to experience the pain of my passing and that I was around to help them to the end.

snookdoctor

Lost dad 51 years ago when I was 12, and mom 23 years ago when I was 40. It may not seem like it, but if you are able to enjoy your parents into your mid-life or longer, you are blessed.
It is not fair to lose a loved one, but that is the price of living. Be close to your kids, because they will be in your shoes too soon.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
@Arrow3 you are absolutely correct that losing loved ones, especially parents, is not only difficult but life changing and nothing is the same, especially Holidays and special occasions. Don't loose sight of the fact that the very people we have lost had already suffered their own similar losses. They had refocused their attention on special occasions and Holidays in ways that kept some of their older traditions alive in those of us who followed.
... I didn't get to show him my gobblers this past spring, Nor the 8 point I killed this deer season.
I lost my father many years ago but I still feel him with me when I hunt. We can not know what happens on the other side but you may have shown him without knowing it.

The most important part of all this is what you said last:
Ive said it before and i'll say it again. Get out and enjoy life to the fullest. One day you will wake up and it'll all be behind you.
And some of the greatest joy and fulfillment comes from passing down things you have learned from and about those who came before you.

kingfish

My dad the day after Christmas last year. It really hit me during duck season last year. He brought me up a duck hunter and I would send him pictures of successful hunts which he loved. I miss being able to do that.

Jim Baker

Staff member
I have lost my Daddy, Mama, youngest son and youngest Grandson. Not a day goes by that I do not think of each of them. I find strength in the life of my Granny who had six children and outlived all but one. She told me when my son died, "A time will come when your tears will turn to smiles".

Core Lokt

My wife lost her dad two years ago. This time of year is rough on her.

My dad's health isn't the best. I actually sat in the stand yesterday evening with him. He got out of the hospital Friday afternoon.

My prayers are with each of you who are morning the lost of loved ones.

Arrow3

Celebrated mom's 79th yesterday. Her 1st without dad. It went well. Externally anyway. Now we've got mine and my brother's bday coming up next week and then Christmas. Then Dad's birthday and death day 2 days later after the beginning of January. Gonna be different for sure.