What Type Of Grass is This

spencer12

This grass is growing in one of the pastures on the farm. The farmer who rents it took the cows out a couple months ago and this stuff is growing everywhere. It's about 3-3.5 feet tall and it is excellent bedding/fawning cover and the quail and rabbits love it to. Any ideas on what it is?

Attachments

• G1.JPG
    G1.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 1,059
  • G2.JPG
    G2.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 1,055
  • G3.JPG
    G3.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 1,060
  • G4.JPG
    G4.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 1,062
  • G5.JPG
    G5.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 1,060
  • G6.JPG
    G6.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 1,063

Big7

The Oracle
Yeah.. And you got one more type of rye.

You can tell by the way the seed head on one is round and the
other flat.

Either way, you have some good feed.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
ryegrass. annual but will reseed itself if you let it go to seed.
the only bad thing about letting it get that big (from a farming perspective) is it will crowd out the warm season grassses because they aren't getting any light.

Buckfever

Looks like what I call wild wheat, and it's worthless that I've seen. Someone will come along and give the correct name for it in a little bit.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I already did--its ryegrass
ive planted probably thousands of acres of it for grazing

Slide6.JPG

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that is ryegrass.

Buckfever

I already did--its ryegrass
ive planted probably thousands of acres of it for grazing

Slide6.JPG

Those two don't look the same to me, but I've been wrong before. I'll agree that it's probably a rye and not a wheat though. The ditch in my front yard, the field edge behind the house has a lot of this growing and it's not planted by anyone.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
ryegrass. annual but will reseed itself if you let it go to seed.
the only bad thing about letting it get that big (from a farming perspective) is it will crowd out the warm season grassses because they aren't getting any light.

Yes, that is ryegrass.

What they said. ^

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Those two don't look the same to me, but I've been wrong before. I'll agree that it's probably a rye and not a wheat though. The ditch in my front yard, the field edge behind the house has a lot of this growing and it's not planted by anyone.

wut-gif.gif

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
If it's annual rye grass no one has planted it, I have a few more pics I will upload later.

It reseeds itself we haven't planted it in some fields in probably 15 years but it still grows. It's in the process of doing that in the pics.

Same with crimson clover. Haven't planted it in forever but it's everywhere in our fields

champ

The little purple flowers in Your pics are a dead give away. That is 'Hairy Vetch' or 'Southern Vetch', and it will choke the life out of anything You plant. It's used as a ground cover sometimes, but only once a taller crop is established. That stuff gets out of hand like morning glory. Other than a place for Rabbits or Fawns to hide it is a burden. Heavy chemical termination will do the trick if You're wanting to 86 it.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
The little purple flowers in Your pics are a dead give away. That is 'Hairy Vetch' or 'Southern Vetch', and it will choke the life out of anything You plant. It's used as a ground cover sometimes, but only once a taller crop is established. That stuff gets out of hand like morning glory. Other than a place for Rabbits or Fawns to hide it is a burden. Heavy chemical termination will do the trick if You're wanting to 86 it.

it didn't choke the life out of all that ryegrass. in fact it looks like what little vetch is there is about to die from the ryegrass taking over.

cself

Perennials resprout from the root system, annuals can reseed themselves although conditions need to be right and some like rye grass are just more prolific than most.

ProAngler

Hairy vetch has little purple flowers, but they don’t look like that. Same color but differnt shape. There is no hairy vetch in that picture.

Last edited:

Buckfever

Perennials resprout from the root system, annuals can reseed themselves although conditions need to be right and some like rye grass are just more prolific than most.

Oh I understand that, but there are perennial rye grass and they look just like the OP pictures.