Doe limit for hunting clubs

JB0704

I Gots Goats
How’s fawn recruitment there? Do you see many twins during season?

It's odd to me how rare that has become. I remember back in the day it was more often than not. I'm not sure if Billy is shootin' em, or if the yotes, bobcats, and cars gettin' em more often. It is just a different trend than what it used to be. That beign said I don't personally know any hunter who applies observations to their killin' habits. If they are gonna stack em up, it doesn't matter what they are seeing relevant to recruitment, age, etc. See deer, shoot deer.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
It's odd to me how rare that has become. I remember back in the day it was more often than not. I'm not sure if Billy is shootin' em, or if the yotes, bobcats, and cars gettin' em more often. It is just a different trend than what it used to be. That beign said I don't personally know any hunter who applies observations to their killin' habits. If they are gonna stack em up, it doesn't matter what they are seeing relevant to recruitment, age, etc. See deer, shoot deer.
Over across the hill from you on my ponderosa, I’ve got 3 mature does that have run as a group. 2 of the three had twins this past year. The year before one of them had triplets. They know they are safe around here and I enjoy watching their habits.

Long Cut

What are your sightings from the stand tell you? Are y’all seeing 2, 5, 10, 20+ does plus per field/feeder...

What are the trail camera surveys telling you?

How’s the native browse and browse lines looking like around the property?

How do the food plots look? Exclusion cages???

How are your Predator numbers & fawn recruitment?

To blindly set a number is doing yourselves a disservice.

Essentially it’s like skipping a soil test & lime for food plots.... Can you do it? Yes. Will you have better success if your soils PH is 6.5 and fertilized properly? Oh yeah.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Over across the hill from you on my ponderosa, I’ve got 3 mature does that have run as a group. 2 of the three had twins this past year. The year before one of them had triplets. They know they are safe around here and I enjoy watching their habits.

I wish mine were safe. You prolly know some of the characters I have hunting around me mowin' em down.

Triple C

@Son...The fact that you 80 and still stepping up to the plate is encouraging for others and surely a blessing to you. I'm 66. I can only hope that my desire and my health still has me chasing critters at 80.

You remind of of an old timer that was a long-time member of the lease that borders my farm. Met him on a dirt rd bout 8 years ago as he was hanging posted signs. He was 84 at the time and still using a Summit climber. He and his wife camped along the creek that borders my property, away from all the other members of that lease. They practically lived there during hunting season. I often went to spend an hour or so with them during the season. Took my grandson to meet him. He has since passed.

Jim Bunch. GON did an article on him years ago. RIP.

Keep swinging for the fences brother! You're an inspiration to folks like me.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
@Son...The fact that you 80 and still stepping up to the plate is encouraging for others and surely a blessing to you. I'm 66. I can only hope that my desire and my health still has me chasing critters at 80.

You remind of of an old timer that was a long-time member of the lease that borders my farm. Met him on a dirt rd bout 8 years ago as he was hanging posted signs. He was 84 at the time and still using a Summit climber. He and his wife camped along the creek that borders my property, away from all the other members of that lease. They practically lived there during hunting season. I often went to spend an hour or so with them during the season. Took my grandson to meet him. He has since passed.

Jim Bunch. GON did an article on him years ago. RIP.

Keep swinging for the fences brother! You're an inspiration to folks like me.
Thank You, I had many old timers who were great role models in the 1950's when we hunted the Big Cypress in South Florida. Collier Co. Back in the day I did more listening than talking.,....lol

uturn

Once folks figure this out, things become different…in my opinion one of the most important if not the most important things other than great habitat!

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
My Dad, Jerad T. Anderson, first took me hunting the 49/50 season in Collier Co. Fl. I was so young, I wouldn't go any further than I could see smoke from the camp fire which I would put green weeds on.

Attachments

• Dad bucks.jpg
    Dad bucks.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 41

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think you mentioned it, but with the continued loss of acreage, are you still carrying the same amount of members/hunters each year?

Reactions: Son

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Less, Try to keep it one member per 100 acres. Sometimes it took a couple seasons to get it back to that. I don't run anyone off, just don't replace when one leaves. It's been common for most members to only take one or two deer per season. And half of them don't shoot does. Most everyone is looking for that wall hanger. Last couple seasons, several members didn't take a deer. They held out too long for the big bucks they had on camera. I'm guilty of that too. Couple times, I was lucky enough to get one buck for the season the last weekend. or near the very end of season. Really need everyone to get into the mode of seeing who can take the largest sow....lol

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Heaviest Ga buck at 250 pounds. Perfect ten with a spike coming out above the right eye. Took three of us to load him. For comparison, I was 225 at the time.

Attachments

• gallberry patch.jpg
    gallberry patch.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 40
  • antler .jpg
    antler .jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 39

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I like to call them up. And I don't worry much about camo. Orange vest kills the camo anyway. I don't buy much camo, maybe trousers for the extra pockets. Most I have was given as presents.

Attachments

• ten rattled.jpg
    ten rattled.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 16

buckpasser

I like to call them up. And I don't worry much about camo. Orange vest kills the camo anyway. I don't buy much camo, maybe trousers for the extra pockets. Most I have was given as presents.

Me too.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yep, age has lots to do with what can or will be done. I may just have to give it up eventually as many I know have already done. You have many good suggestions for those with the youth to do those things. I'm very fortunate to be able to do what I do these days at my age. My dad always said, hunting will become a rich mans sport, and it's coming to that in leaps and bounds.

It'll be a bad day at Blackrock if I live to see the day you quit deer hunting. You're as constant as the sun coming up in the east every day.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Was in the woods today helping fellow member put up a ladder stand, and to move a cell cam. A nice day for a change.

Attachments

• Duck area.jpg
    Duck area.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 27

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’ve been on a few leases and they’re all different. One place you’d be lucky to kill a doe, bad as public. But one place you’d see and bump deer ever time and they were every where. Most of my areas pl brown it’s down!

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Scouted yesterday. There's been talk about changing dates in SW Ga, 8 counties I believe. Well, here are fresh rubs made in the middle of Feb in Miller Co, Ga, at the Early Co. line near Mayhaw. Plenty fresh scrapes were found also. I covered a couple large blocks of swamp just to see what deer had been doing during season. They're still doing it. I do this each year and it usually pays off the next season.

Attachments

• rubs.jpg
    rubs.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 19

Blackston

Pls don’t think I’m bein disrespectful….. Do those woods ever get a time to “ rest “ …. No traffic, no inand out ?