Son vs sons of God?

Artfuldodger

Hobbs, it appears the line one draws to believe Jesus was 1/3 of an always equal part of the Godhead with his Father is as crookedly drawn as the futurist line.

First you have to take away the power and glory from this 1/3 of the Godhead that he has always had, always, when he incarnates as a man. Next the 1/3 of the Godhead which is his Father, has to give him the power that was just removed by the incarnation. Why remove it in the first place only to replace it from another third of the same entity?

Jesus repeatedly says that he does nothing without the power of his Father. Yet at one time he was equal to his Father. The word Father even shows a superiority over the word son. A father is superior in power to a son.

Hebrews 1:3-5
3The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of His nature, upholding all things by His powerful word. After He had provided purification for sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high. 4So He became as far superior to the angels as the name He has inherited is excellent beyond theirs. 5For to which of the angels did God ever say: “You are my Son; today I have become Your Father”? Or again: “I will be His Father, and He will be My Son”?

I can't help but read that God is a higher power than Jesus. That Jesus got all of his power, glory, essence, being, likeness, etc. from His Father.

Giving up all of this equal power as 1/3 of the Godhead is a concept that is hard to grasp. When the 1/3 Jesus part incarnate, did that leave only a duality in power? God and the Holy Spirit? Yet if Jesus was always equal, this leaves a time within eternity that he wasn't.

hobbs27

Art... There's no straight line though. I see no reason to dismiss the Trinity because I can't disprove it. Some explanations.... Most I believe even leave the Christianity camp.
Example would be JWs belief that Jesus is the arch Angel Michael...
That cannot be Christianity.

Artfuldodger

Art... There's no straight line though. I see no reason to dismiss the Trinity because I can't disprove it. Some explanations.... Most I believe even leave the Christianity camp.
Example would be JWs belief that Jesus is the arch Angel Michael...
That cannot be Christianity.

Do you feel the same about Oneness? Definitely no straight line regardless of Oneness or the Trinity. Oneness has the issue as you mentioned of the Father and Son communicating with each other after the incarnation.

I can't dismiss the fact that if one believes Jesus died for his sins, what else is required? Most people are called or believe before they understand much more than Jesus as the Messiah.

Imagine how hard to teach a native islander 300 years ago. First, he wouldn't even understand English. So you finally teach him about God. Then you teach him about Jesus dying for his sins. Salvation first and then the Trinity or Oneness will come later.

hobbs27

I honestly believe man is not saved by knowledge alone. Upon hearing of Jesus the Spirit will draw them to the faith.

Artfuldodger

I honestly believe man is not saved by knowledge alone. Upon hearing of Jesus the Spirit will draw them to the faith.

It has to be that way. We have to be lead by God. With all of the denominations and beliefs we have, it has to be by grace alone. Actually man having all of these various beliefs is proof in God's election.
Man is a failure, We believe what our parents believe. We are blinded by our indoctrination. We are all born Hindus and other non-believers. It takes God to open our hearts and lead us to him through Jesus.

Our beliefs are a form of works. Perhaps to the point of pride. We even go so far as to exclude others. Others that were lead to Jesus by God. Others to include brothers. Brothers who yearn to see the Father and the Son.

sons of God seeing the Son. Becoming like the Son. Seeing the Father when we see the Son.

1 John 3:2
Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

You do believe we'll see the Father and Son? We will have both, right?

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Adam was not the first son of God to be created. There were many sons of God called angels who were created before Adam. They were present when God laid the foundations of the Earth (Job 38:4-7; Col. 1:16-18). Adam was the first son of God created of the human race (Luke 3:38), but there were innumerable created sons of God in Heaven and in Earth before Adam. The pre-Adamite races and all spirit-beings were created of God and therefore His sons by creation.

Did they call him Father? Did the Father call them Son? Were they unique, begotten, or monogenes?
Were those sons different from the Son?