Running catch dogs

Does anyone else use running catch dogs? Im sure that there is very few on here that do but there is no way i would ever go back to keeping my bulldogs on the chain. We have alot better luck with them not breaking the bay because the bulldog is already there latched on and even if the pig isnt squealing they still make plenty of noise where you can hear them.

2-shot

Good way to possibly get your dog mangled up but we hardly ever have them break. My buddy has good bay dogs but mine run in bark once or twice if a big hog then catch.

sghoghunter

Lots of people use them but not me. To me that's just asking for problems with dogs getting cut up or overheating. May I ask do y'all walk hunt? How far do the dogs range that your using?

cd1

runing catch dog

I have a few running catch dogs a good dog will grab the hog to get it to stop then bay the hog to more dogs get there or your catch dog makes it there a running catch dog will not bite and hold the hog like a catch dog take a little work but good bloodline you can train them to do it my dogs always have cut vest and collars on them just in case

buddylee

I have what u might call running catch dogs. They'll hunt but can't find hogs as fast as my cur dogs. If you hunt the right dogs in the right gear in the right places they hardly ever get cut. Running a 35lb RCD is asking for trouble. We've only have one "bad" cut this year on our RCD's.

cd1

runing catch dog

we haven't had a bad cut or nothing on are catahoulas but hog hunting is in there blood. as you can tell like the one buddys has, which I still want one of his pups.

dotties cutter

We hunted hogs before electronics and for the most part ran with the dogs. We always ran the catch dog with the bunch and were usually on the hog a couple minutes after the catch or sooner. We seldom had a dog to get bad hurt for we were there with dogs almost all the time. Now I have done got to old for that kind of hunting but I sure do miss it, as well as all that extra summertime meat on the table.

sghoghunter

We hunted hogs before electronics and for the most part ran with the dogs. We always ran the catch dog with the bunch and were usually on the hog a couple minutes after the catch or sooner. We seldom had a dog to get bad hurt for we were there with dogs almost all the time. Now I have done got to old for that kind of hunting but I sure do miss it, as well as all that extra summertime meat on the table.

That's how I started out hunting. Me and my brother started out with a bulldog and a bird dog/bulldog and a bulldog and we walk hunted them at night. We caught prolly 20 hogs a year and we had fun but now I have way better dogs and learned how to hunt without the walking. I've learned that you don't have to be in near as much hurry with a barking dog as you do with a grunting or squealing hog.

HOGDOG76

Them barking dogs is great for hunting unpressured hogs or if you have enough property to chase them forever. Ten years ago I may have even worried about them getting hurt but now we have GPS and know right where they are so there is no reason not to be to them quick imo.

gin house

Them barking dogs is great for hunting unpressured hogs or if you have enough property to chase them forever. Ten years ago I may have even worried about them getting hurt but now we have GPS and know right where they are so there is no reason not to be to them quick imo.

Yep. Gets old loosing most hogs to baydogs. Shut em down and move along.

Florida Curdog

I have a few running catch dogs a good dog will grab the hog to get it to stop then bay the hog to more dogs get there or your catch dog makes it there a running catch dog will not bite and hold the hog like a catch dog take a little work but good bloodline you can train them to do it my dogs always have cut vest and collars on them just in case

A running / trailing catch dog doesn't bay until another dog gets there. If it turns loose & barks it's a bay dog. It should be able to find , trail & catch any hog solo.

HOGDOG76

QUOTE=cd1;8628488]they can catch and find but only a dummy would send one dog on a hog[/QUOTE]

:rofl::rofl::rofl:[

HOGDOG76

we haven't had a bad cut or nothing on are catahoulas but hog hunting is in there blood. as you can tell like the one buddys has, which I still want one of his pups.

So what your saying is due to being cats they are immune to cuts?

gnarlyone

lol

Then I"m A "Dummy" every weekend........ Many Many Nights of 1 dog on a Sho Nuff Slobber Knocker.......Shut down and Caught...Usually the "Dummy" are the ones that aint scared to dump and tie a monster by theirself without 3-4 dogs hanging off it.....

gigem1

Lol

Knarleyone is king of Dummy's when it comes to running catch dogs, he runs 1 out most of the time, but that's 25 plus years of breeding dogs that will flat out do it!!!!

HOGDOG76

GIGEM and GNARLYONE
Yall can do what you want but im getting me some of these cut proof catahoula pack dogs

Florida Curdog

I must be a dummy then. I hunt solo & usually have one dog with me when I go unless I have a young dog I'm training. Not everybody is scared & has a truck full of dogs on the ground. If a dog is barking it's a bay dog. Catch dogs don't bark. If they do it's a cull. :fine: