question for bow hunters

rance56

when hunting mature bucks, do you think they pick out a ladder stand more so then a loc on? you can get ladder stands around 20 feet or higher, im just wondering with the laddr and the bigger profile if they are at a disadvantge to a loc on. thanks

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Simple answer, yes

GADawg08

in my experience, mature bucks don't pay much attention to ladder stands IF they have been there for a while...I wouldn't expect to throw one up and kill a big one the next day with a ladder, but a lock-on I wouldn't hesitate to sit in it the same day it's hung

Hillbilly stalker

Big ones notice about any disturbance in their area and react to it. The ones that don't, already have their carcass wrapped in white paper. Loc on is a lot easier, quieter and less intrusive in my opinion. Deer pick out outlines, a ladder stand leaves a pretty big signature. My 2cents worth.

bubbafowler

in my experience, mature bucks don't pay much attention to ladder stands IF they have been there for a while...I wouldn't expect to throw one up and kill a big one the next day with a ladder, but a lock-on I wouldn't hesitate to sit in it the same day it's hung
I agree.
I put mine up in summer and ure foliage. Then by fall when the leaves come off they're used to it. Even ones i put a camp wrap around for my dad i do in summer. Basically hide every stand hang and they won't care. If it's new or wide open they will.

rance56

if put up early in offseason and tree limbs tied to lags of ladder, would you hunt a ladder in that scenario. or would you also choose a loc over a ladder

FOLES55

I like and have killed deer from both. However I love me some zip ties and will add cut green branches from pine and hardwood trees to break up the outline. Very easy and quick cover.

Had numerous bucks walk right up to and around my ladder stands this season. Stand had been in place 1.75 years also.

NUTT

I think they notice ladders more in ga than the Midwest. I brush ladder in always and that seems to help. It's usually does that bust me in ladders and not mature bucks.

killabig1

I prefer climbing stands and different trees every time. I feel like I stick out too much in a ladder stand and/or are not high enough.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
We are actually moving to more and more ladders as we get older. The deer dont care a bit after the stand has been there a week or so...although we have also hung ladders and had bucks around them the next day with no issues.

100% depends on cover.

swamp hunter

I have a couple 8 and 10 foot ladders.
I hide them well and just use them to shoot over heavy cover.
Deer can't really see them and never walk right by them.
I think they kinda pick out the Stand Alone ,easily seen ladders and tend to glace up as soon as they walk in sight..might just be me but I like to hide..

rance56

I have a couple 8 and 10 foot ladders.
I hide them well and just use them to shoot over heavy cover.
Deer can't really see them and never walk right by them.
I think they kinda pick out the Stand Alone ,easily seen ladders and tend to glace up as soon as they walk in sight..might just be me but I like to hide..

you bow hunt outofa 8 foot ladder? i would figure deer would smellya

Jim Boyd

I hunt from ladders and climbers.

I think deer spot me as quickly in a climber as they do a ladder and a climber offers the same general outline as a lock on.

If I had complete control I believe that lock on stands are better in all aspects but at 60+ years old, I am no longer comfortable in them.

I hunt ladders 95% of the time and any ladder I put up it is 20+ feet tall. I have several that are 25’ tall.

Rarely is my biggest problem that the deer see the stand.

Scent is # 1.

Being outlined, skylined or openly visible is # 2 in ANY stand.

Movement in the stand is #3.

For me, the rest of the problems are “also ran’s“.

Every year I have pics of mature bucks - in SC and IL - that are within a very few feet of the ladder.

I transitioned to archery only a few years ago and have had to really reassess where I put my stands and how I position them.

If you are not afraid of lock on’s, I personally think they offer more advantages.

Best of luck....

1gr8bldr

I don't see it in my circle that they pay it any attention. I like them because I can move them quick and easy, much safer to the point that I do actually move it if I feel another tree gives a better vantage as opposed to a loc on that I just leave it because I don't want to fool with it. Ladders sometimes limit height. They do however often move the tree less when standing, etc. Traditional bow hunting requires being close. As boyd said, scent number 1. Number 2 for me was upon standing, they kept getting uneasy because the tree limbs started moving ever so slightly. I no longer pull small small saplings to and tie off as I used to. It gave good cover but always turned into more movement. LOL, a robot squirrel flicking his tail could fix this.

davidhelmly

thanks for the responses. im goingto mainly loc ons. just hating setting them up an sometimes it nice just to easly climb up in a ladder.

I’m not a ladder guy so I’m probably doing it wrong, I’ve put up a couple of ladder stands at our camp to practice out of and holy cow what a pain!!
I can easily put up 2 or 3 loc-on sets 20-25 feet high with life lines using climbing sticks in the time I can put up 1 ladder.

Jim Boyd

Putting up ladder stands is fast and easy if you have a good process.

I put them up by myself all the time - remember, mine are tall - and I am neither young nor particularly strong. It is all in how you go about it.

I am in the midst of devising and building a system that would allow anyone to erect a ladder stand and if it works as I envision it will, it will also take a lot of the biggest danger away: putting the initial strap or chain on the stand up at the platform.

I have a very mixed bag of stands, many of which are modified existing stands or ones built from scratch.

I am not sure how many I own but it is probably about 35 or so.

I just ordered 5 of the Millennium L110 for the Illinois farms. These are expensive but have the larger platform and folding seat that the L100 does not offer so I am hopeful we will love them.

Best of luck to all -

uturn

Well...I just love lock-on given the surroundings, the deer sign or movement where I'm hunting and things come together right...I can hang a set of lock-ons that most folks can't see even when I put them right in front of them...that being said I have a buddy that just loves the simple leaners and I have also learned from him that I can set them with nearly the same stealth if the before mentioned conditions are the same and my hearts in setting them!!

But, did I say I just love my lock-ons...

Last edited: