Help! (got him back!!)

DSGB

I was getting excited about the upcoming season, especially when the taxidermist called Thursday and said my deer was ready. I got off work early yesterday and went by to pick it up. To say I was unhappy with it would be about the nicest thing I can think of right now. I refrained from posting anything about it yesterday because I wanted to cool off first. I could barely sleep last night. :mad: I'm ashamed to even post this now, but don't know what else to do.

The guy came recommended by more than one person and none of the work he had in his shop when I went by was as poor quality as I saw yesterday. The first thing I noticed when I picked it up, was that the antlers MOVED!!! :hair: So, I looked a little closer and there were GAPS between the base of the antlers and the hide. I could stick my finger in a couple of them! Then I noticed that some of the hair around the base of the antlers had been "patched" with other hair to fill in some gaps. One of the bases was sunk down below the hairline. Looking closer, the antlers weren't even centered on the deer's head. :confused:

He was making excuses left and right and said he could get it fixed. Then i asked him why the ears were facing forward when I asked for them to be laid back in a relaxed manner. "Well, we must have overlooked that." :huh: It's written down on the slip!! :crazy:

He asked to give him 'til Monday and he'd make it right. I have serious doubts that it can be fixed in the shape it was in yesterday. I was really mad, but didn't want to say anything I'd regret, so I just left and told him I'd be back Monday.

He charges $375 for a shoulder mount and has $200 of my money already. Honestly, I would like to just get my money back that I've paid and take my antlers. However, I'm willing to at least give him a chance to make it right. What else could he do? I'm definitely not giving him any more money if I'm not happy with it, but how hard do you think it'd be to get the rest of my money back? Should I just cut my loss and chalk it up as a lesson learned?

I'm not a very confrontational guy, but I'm gonna stand for what I think is right. I feel insulted and taken advantage of. I honestly don't know how someone could let such poor quality work leave their shop. I worked hard for that deer and work hard for the money I've paid him to mount it, so I expect the same from him. I'm starting to wonder if he even did the work himself or had someone else in his shop do it. I plan on asking him when I go back.

I understand you get what you pay for and there are taxi's out there that charge a lot more than $375, but I never expected this. I have three on the wall now that didn't cost as much as this one, but I'm not ashamed of them. The guy that mounted them is retired now, so I used someone else and now regret it.

What should have been something I can look at and remember all the details of the hunt and the excitement I had when I killed him has turned into a nightmare. The best buck I've ever killed is possibly ruined.

Last edited:

GTHunter007

Nothing wrong with what you are doing at all. Give him the time to try to fix it. 375 is not on the cheapest out there, but not the highest either...you should have a mount you are proud to show off that is for sure.

If it is not up to par with the standards this guy showed before hand or has hanging i would not be above asking for my antlers/cape and money back. If he won't do those, take the mount as is and do not give him another penny. At least whoever fixes it for you would already have the pieces to finish it up. I would be livid if i was in your shoes...and I was similarly in your shoes a few years back...only i couldn't get my antlers back or see any progress for almost 2 years. Mine turned out fairly and i would hope yours does too. Good luck and keep us posted.

bwbb88

Thats awfull, I would see what he comes up with to fix it before you make any decisions. I killed a black tail buck in alaska when I was station up there and sent it back home to GA and the company went out of business and I havnt seen the deer since. It seems you just cant trust people now a days. Hope everything works out for you.

HuntinDawg89

I know the ears can probably be fixed...other than that I'm not sure.

I once picked one up and realized the ears were wrong (forward instead of relaxed), but the taxidermist had me leave it with him and he fixed them...something about wrapping steaming hot damp towels around the base of the ears to soften up the hide or something like that so he could move them. He had let his son do the mount and I felt a little cheated by that. The mount overall isn't great, particularly around the eyes. His shop later burned to the ground and he is out of business. He had no insurance and a lot of folks lost trophies, deposits, etc., including me. I lost a piebald hide that he was supposed to be tanning and the deposit too.

Anyway, you need to stand your ground IMO. Try to be reasonable (sounds like you will be) and just explain that it isn't acceptable. Don't pay him another cent if you are not happy with it. Hopefully some other taxi's will chime in and say what is reasonable for your taxi to do about it if you don't like what you see when you go back. With what you described I don't see how he is going to fix all of the problems around the antlers, but I'm no taxidermist. I think you are looking at a re-mount.

AW2010

Banned
I know the ears can probably be fixed...other than that I'm not sure.

I once picked one up and realized the ears were wrong (forward instead of relaxed), but the taxidermist had me leave it with him and he fixed them...something about wrapping steaming hot damp towels around the base of the ears to soften up the hide or something like that so he could move them. He had let his son do the mount and I felt a little cheated by that. The mount overall isn't great, particularly around the eyes. His shop later burned to the ground and he is out of business. He had no insurance and a lot of folks lost trophies, deposits, etc., including me. I lost a piebald hide that he was supposed to be tanning and the deposit too.

Anyway, you need to stand your ground IMO. Try to be reasonable (sounds like you will be) and just explain that it isn't acceptable. Don't pay him another cent if you are not happy with it. Hopefully some other taxi's will chime in and say what is reasonable for your taxi to do about it if you don't like what you see when you go back. With what you described I don't see how he is going to fix all of the problems around the antlers, but I'm no taxidermist. I think you are looking at a re-mount.

I am a taxidermist and I think you are spot on for the most part. I sent him a PM and explained it to him....

I would not be giving him any more money unless it was fixed. But I know being a taxidermist if that much was done wrong there is probably no fixing it! The only fix will be a new form and a new cape!

The ears are the least of his worries with this mount, if the cape was tanned properly it can be re-hydrated and fixed, but allot of taxidermist dry tan their hides & capes because the process is easier and a dry tan for the most part can not be re-hydrated. As I said in the PM I will be glad to assist in any way possible shoot me a PM with questions!

DSGB

He said he was going to re-soak it, so I'm just going to wait and see.

DSGB

Good news!

I went by the shop after lunch and saw my deer. It looks MUCH better! It was still drying, but from what I could see it looked good. He said I should be able to come get it tomorrow. He even fixed the ears the way I wanted them!

Mwaldrop

good for you!!! I am still curious, will you ask him did he do it first or was this training for someone??

Might ought to look into a new taxidermist. i couldnt take a trophy to someone i didnt have faith in for good work.

DSGB

Yes, I plan on asking him if he did all the work the first go 'round.

BornToHuntAndFish

Sorry about your tough situation. Good to hear there's been improvements made. With it being your best whitetail & at the risk of over simplifying taxidermist work, then it's worth it even if you have to get it all redone by someone else since usually it tends to be just your antlers installed on a shoulder mount & sometimes folks have to get another cape from another deer when things get messed up. Best of luck in getting done to your satisfaction.

lungbuster123

Even if he did have someone else mount it a good taxidermist should never have called you to come pick it up if it looked that bad man. Hopefully everything turns out for the best but I would look into going somewhere else.

DSGB

Well, I just went and picked him up. I'll say the guy did a pretty good job fixing the problems. Now, I wouldn't say it's showroom quality or anything, but it's acceptable.

I have it here at the office and will try to get some pictures up when I get home later.

DSGB

Here he is

From this:
PB040551c.jpg

To this:
P8210277.jpg

P8210276.jpg

P8210266.jpg

P8210272.jpg

P8210271.jpg

P8210270.jpg

P8210269.jpg