Help! (got him back!!)

chadeugene

The eyes are the only issue I really see that's worth a fuss. I think it looks find and although there are some detail issues, looks very similar to what the buck actually looked like.

droptine06

Official Supper Thread Starter
Plenty have commented on the mount so I don't feel the need to. But that is without a doubt not the same cape. The ears are different, the fur between the antlers different, white patch different and the mount has a white ring of fur around the nostrils, your buck did not have that. Sorry man. All you an do is not use him again obviously and give all your mounts to Chris Fortner from here out. You won't be disappointed again.

DSGB

The more I look at, the more I want to think that it isn't the cape from my deer. Some of you have made the same observations that I did, so now I know it's not just me.

I guess whenever I get tired of looking at it and can save up some money to get it re-done, I will. The biggest concern I had with having to do that (besides the fact of paying for it LOL) was that it wouldn't be my cape, but that is a moot point, obviously.

GTHunter007

The more I look at, the more I want to think that it isn't the cape from my deer. Some of you have made the same observations that I did, so now I know it's not just me.

I guess whenever I get tired of looking at it and can save up some money to get it re-done, I will. The biggest concern I had with having to do that (besides the fact of paying for it LOL) was that it wouldn't be my cape, but that is a moot point, obviously.

People use different capes all the time for various reasons...that is a non-issue IMO. But, most people know they are getting a new cape going into it.
With all that has been said, we are looking at close ups of the face, eyes, and mouth and studying the before and after pics. Hang that buck up and be proud of your kill. as stated above, 9 out of 10 people will never realize the imperfections if not pointed out or a taxidermy nut. You could get it fixed and tweaked if you wanted to, but its your trophy, not ours and if you are fine with it so be it. He will still look pretty darn good hangin on the wall no matter what. Congrats again on a fine buck. :cool: don't let this guys work take away from your pride in a fine whitetail!!:clap:

USMC0321

Banned
Plenty have commented on the mount so I don't feel the need to. But that is without a doubt not the same cape. The ears are different, the fur between the antlers different, white patch different and the mount has a white ring of fur around the nostrils, your buck did not have that. Sorry man. All you an do is not use him again obviously and give all your mounts to Chris Fortner from here out. You won't be disappointed again.

Hit the nail on the head!

benosmose

That cape is from a buck I am sure of that.It looks like your buck You cant strech a doe hide that much to swell the neck.I like your mount I would hang it up and choose a dif taxi the next time but it really is not something terrible.The onlything that looks off to me is your deer had almost black hair on its brisket and I dont see that in the mount.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I don't think it's terrible, but it's not great, either. You can tell there was not a whole lot of attention to detail.

The guy said he is the only one that does any of the actual work on the mounts. I believe that is the best I'm going to get from his shop. He definitely won't be getting any more of my business if I decide to get anything else mounted.

It looks better at certain angles. LOL There are some things I questioned whether it was the cape from my deer, but I can't really be positive either way.

I'm trying to stay positive and not to worry myself sick over it. It was certainly a learning experience, for sure.

Dang. I won't say anymore...

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

It isn't. The ears are different, the forehead is different, it doesn't match up. Now I am done.:bounce:

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Horns are definitely too close together. Something ain't right.

snookdoctor

Your mount may not be perfect, and may have a different cape, but it still serves it's purpose. When you look at it, it will remind you of your great hunt. Keep on rolling.

ALL4HUNTIN

His forehead does look funny. Good luck getting it straightened out. I have here I've never been happy with. I never said a word and should have!

I think the forehead looks funny because if you look at the picture in the bed of the truck, and you look at the distance from the eyes to the horns, and then look at the mount... The horns look like they were mounted RIGHT ONTOP OF THE EYES.... Might be just the way the photo is, but the horns look alot farther back on the truck bed photo...

ALL4HUNTIN

Yup........... Just looked again, the ears and horns are very close on the REAL deer in the truck.. He moved the horns forward torwards the nose on the mount..

The rest looks pretty good.. But the horn thing is what I notice most..

AW2010

Banned
I would like to chime in here....

Not saying he did anything right or wrong because I'm not going to talk about someone I don't know.

With that said, I am a taxidermist and allot of the above comments all though maybe close to correct. The majority are in left field, the whole issue we have (professional taxidermist) is that new guys don't have the experience or the know how to complete a mount properly and they under cut our prices just to get work. So you take it to them and get screwed then bring it to us to fix.

Oh, but hear lies the problem! Most hunters have now idea what a good mount looks like! You just don't understand the anatomy and movement that a animal can make to make a good comment about a mount. If you want to see a true artists (yes I said artist) because that what kind of work a professional taxidermist puts out, it is art! Because anybody can order the materials and attempt to do it, but only an artists can paint the life like picture and only a true taxidermist can create a life-like mount!

Hope no one is offended by my comments, hope someone can learn from others! You get what you pay for!

irishredneck

Its not great especially because you know what the deer looked like before. I would expect to pay less than $200 for it. To me the ears look different.
Maybe its a different cape or maybe he just modified them that way, hard to tell. Why don't you ask him?

If things don't work out and he doesn't fix it, feel free to name and shame so others know not to use him. I wouldn't send my enemy to someone who gave me bad workmanship.

DSGB

That cape is from a buck I am sure of that.It looks like your buck You cant strech a doe hide that much to swell the neck.I like your mount I would hang it up and choose a dif taxi the next time but it really is not something terrible.The onlything that looks off to me is your deer had almost black hair on its brisket and I dont see that in the mount.

That's one of the first things I noticed.

irishredneck

Not saying he did anything right or wrong because I'm not going to talk about someone I don't know.

With that said, I am a taxidermist and allot of the above comments all though maybe close to correct. The majority are in left field, the whole issue we have (professional taxidermist) is that new guys don't have the experience or the know how to complete a mount properly and they under cut our prices just to get work. So you take it to them and get screwed then bring it to us to fix.

Oh, but hear lies the problem! Most hunters have now idea what a good mount looks like! You just don't understand the anatomy and movement that a animal can make to make a good comment about a mount. If you want to see a true artists (yes I said artist) because that what kind of work a professional taxidermist puts out, it is art! Because anybody can order the materials and attempt to do it, but only an artists can paint the life like picture and only a true taxidermist can create a life-like mount!

Hope no one is offended by my comments, hope someone can learn from others! You get what you pay for!

You lost me right there.

The whole purpose of this thread is because hunters DO know what a good mount looks like and thats why there is a problem.
I agree most of the time you get what you pay for but don't defend poor workmanship.

AW2010

Banned
You lost me right there.

The whole purpose of this thread is because hunters DO know what a good mount looks like and thats why there is a problem.
I agree most of the time you get what you pay for but don't defend poor workmanship.

I never said I was defending his workmanship, in fact I was implying the opposite...

As a taxidermist I could pick this mount apart and tell you everything that is wrong with it as far as the anatomy and the natural appearance. Most hunters can not, although it looks bad to you the next guy might think it is the best mount he has ever seen!

Say I posted 2 pictures, 1 of a quality mount and another of a decent mount but with some issues and the majority would never know the difference! That is all I am saying! :cheers:

DSGB

I think the top of the head looks the way it does because it was so messed up before. I wish I'd have taken pictures.

AW2010

Banned
I think the top of the head looks the way it does because it was so messed up before. I wish I'd have taken pictures.

Looks to me like the antlers are setting to low in the form!

DSGB

The guy claims to have 30+ years experience.......and he was not the cheapest, by far. Like I said before, I have three other mounts that I paid less for that are fine. This guy is no artist, that is for sure.