Help With Food Plot Drag

Dylan_Pope

Ive started building a new food lot drag well before planting season this year.The frame is built out of old tripod legs,i need help on how to attach the chain link fence to the frame.i dont know how to attach it.can anyone give me some ideasfood plot drag.jpg

bronco611

weld it to the frame or wire it to the frame using rebar wire ties. The way you have it drawn it will not lay flat on the ground while dragging, I suggest you incorporate a step down or step up depending how you look at it, so that when it is hooked to the 4 wheeler it will lay flat on the chain link.

Forest Grump

You could use U bolts, or a perforated strip of metal like a "washer" with bolts through the strip, then the fence edge, then the tubing. Or have someone spot weld it.

I would want a little more flex in one, to follow the ground contours smoothly, if it were me, & more weight to act kind of like a cultipacker and smooth & break up clods all at the same time.

bronco611

the aluminum fence ties would wear thru rather quickly I would use steel rebar ties if I could not get it welded.

7 point

Get some flat stock to go parallel with the frame on top of the fence and bolt it down to the frame that would hold the fence down good.

Dylan_Pope

Yes,bronco611,i was thinking of that,so shoulkd i measure how hight the 4 wheeler hitch is off the ground then add the hitch that hieght

Confederate_Jay

I always like to see the homemade ingenuity on here. I have made several of these drags over the years. I'm not trying rain on your project but I would like to offer the benefit of my experience. Nothing I ever built came close to working or holding up as well as the chain drag harrows I bought.... got one used set off Crlist for $125, second set came from Agrisupply for $160. I did have and old ball field drag one time that worked awesome but it went missing. 2 concerns I see with the design you have drawn - the rigid frame and the hitch tongue. Anything that can catch or hang up on rock, roots, sticks etc is going to be hard on your design and it wont be as efficient if it cant ride over the contours of the terrain. You will knock down the high spots but it will take many passes to smooth or cover everything...the rigid hitch will also limit how well it hugs unlevel ground. Also, with it sticking out in front like that, it may spear into the ground especially crossing ditches etc. Our drags have chains that we loop over the ball hitch and we just drag them from plot to plot. Keep in mind you will encounter tight turn arounds if you plant roads etc and a short hitch will hit your rear wheels. with our chains we can actually back up a little and then turn tighter if we have to.

Last edited:

godogs57

You are making this way too complicated of an issue. I just tie the fence to my harrow by a rope and pull it with my tractor with the harrow lifted. If using a four wheeler, just tie to the back and drag....simple as that. Don't know why you need all that apparatus to accomplish a super simple task like dragging in seed.

Best of luck.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I always like to see the homemade ingenuity on here. I have made several of these drags over the years. I'm not trying rain on your project but I would like to offer the benefit of my experience. Nothing I ever built came close to working or holding up as well as the chain drag harrows I bought.... got one used set off Crlist for $125, second set came from Agrisupply for $160. I did have and old ball field drag one time that worked awesome but it went missing. 2 concerns I see with the design you have drawn - the rigid frame and the hitch tongue. Anything that can catch or hang up on rock, roots, sticks etc is going to be hard on your design and it wont be as efficient if it cant ride over the contours of the terrain. You will knock down the high spots but it will take many passes to smooth or cover everything...the rigid hitch will also limit how well it hugs unlevel ground. Also, with it sticking out in front like that, it may spear into the ground especially crossing ditches etc. Our drags have chains that we loop over the ball hitch and we just drag them from plot to plot. Keep in mind you will encounter tight turn arounds if you plant roads etc and a short hitch will hit your rear wheels. with our chains we can actually back up a little and then turn tighter if we have to.

This man speaks the truth- best drag I have used is an old page wire gate with 2 cement blocks on top for weight and hooked to the ball on my ranger with bout 6' of rope tied at each front corner

shakey gizzard

You are making this way too complicated of an issue. I just tie the fence to my harrow by a rope and pull it with my tractor with the harrow lifted. If using a four wheeler, just tie to the back and drag....simple as that. Don't know why you need all that apparatus to accomplish a super simple task like dragging in seed.

Best of luck.

This! No frame, just a piece o chain link fastened at 2 points. Old mattress springs works well too!

ted_BSR

Keep it simple, a drag is going to take a lot of abuse. You will be disappointed when all your engineering and time building it gets shredded.

We use to 5 foot lengths of 4x4, wired to a section of chainlink, and some heavy duty eyebolts on the front 4x4 at the ends to hook a chain to. Wire on a couple cinder blocks as needed for weight. Toss the chain over the trailer hitch and drag away.

Cultipacking uses more of a roller type of apparatus that is meant to break up clods of dirt, smooth and prep before sowing. You drag after you cultipack and sow.

godogs57

okay,is cultipacking the same as dragging

yes...the idea is not to bury the seed (especially clovers!) but to just get them in contact with the soil...that's all that is needed with certain varieties of food plot seed.

ted_BSR

yes...the idea is not to bury the seed (especially clovers!) but to just get them in contact with the soil...that's all that is needed with certain varieties of food plot seed.

No...

Cultipacking is not the same, and does not have the same purpose.

Forest Grump

okay,is cultipacking the same as dragging

(in a word: No.)

No...

Cultipacking is not the same, and does not have the same purpose.

Agreed! But you don't drag after you cultipack: you either roll it again, or you spread your seed then roll them in & seat them.

Cultipackers firm & level the soil, but also ensure seed to soil contact, which is essential to good germination. I use a much heavier drag than the one above, in order to achieve a good compromise (cultipackers have gotten outrageously expensive of late, but they never wear out & pretty much can't break, so it's an investment that will hold it's value.)

Dylan_Pope

Okay i took everones advice and ditched the Frame and tires.So I took two 2by4s and cut them to the width of the fence.No i didnt have a 4by4!!Then i BOLTED them together with heavy duty bolts.then i took two eve bolts and and bolted them on each end of the front side of the 2by4s.then i took the chain link and wraped the front over the 2by4s,where the eve bolts where facing foward.i tied the chain back to its self over the new piece of wood with heavy duty steel wire.In many places! then i run Heavy duty rope through the eye bolts and and made a loop on the end of the 4 wheeler hitch.then i had this big piece of metal that we had on our old drag and i wraped it the same way as i did the wood on the back for extra weight.so what do yall think??

godogs57

Good Lord they both serve the same purpose....level the ground and ensure the seed contacts the soil without being buried.

shakey gizzard

Okay i took everones advice and ditched the Frame and tires.So I took two 2by4s and cut them to the width of the fence.No i didnt have a 4by4!!Then i BOLTED them together with heavy duty bolts.then i took two eve bolts and and bolted them on each end of the front side of the 2by4s.then i took the chain link and wraped the front over the 2by4s,where the eve bolts where facing foward.i tied the chain back to its self over the new piece of wood with heavy duty steel wire.In many places! then i run Heavy duty rope through the eye bolts and and made a loop on the end of the 4 wheeler hitch.then i had this big piece of metal that we had on our old drag and i wraped it the same way as i did the wood on the back for extra weight.so what do yall think??

It'll be fine! Ive used a bundle of tree tops in a pinch!;)