I need help with food plot!

b8hickman

I am having a D6 dozer come out to my land and clear off about 3 acres to build a house and possibly have a pond one day (top right side of pictures). While the dozer is there I am going to have him put in a food plot in the middle of my property and possibly see about pushing fire lanes around it depending on when my budget runs out. I thought I knew what I wanted but now I am starting to doubt myself. My main goal with the food plot is that I would like it to be at least an acre to hold deer in the area, plus be able to hunt it with multiple wind directions and be able to enter/exit without being noticed. There is a gas line that I will be planting with wheat and Durana clover but it will be pretty close to the house and would like something in the middle of the property. These two pictures show the food plot locations. The first one I put the food plot next to a pretty deep ditch that I think the deer travel along it. The second one is more of a turkey foot shaped food plot. Which one of these would be better, or if you have a different idea please tell me as I am open to changing it. All the land is a 7yr old pine plantation if that matters and the yellow line is atv trails. Thanks for your help.
IMG_20210909_064127377.jpgIMG_20210909_064811743.jpg

sportsman94

Sounds like an awesome set up! How set are you on acreage? Grant woods (growingdeertv) has a lot of videos where he helps landowners come up with plans for their properties. His plans almost always have a large destination plot and smaller kill plots around it. In addition to promoting daytime movement in the kill plots, the gaps between the plots creates travel corridors for cruising bucks. I would definitely look into building two plots relatively close together. Maybe separated by the ditch where bucks would come through checking for does. If you put an access trail/road to both sides you could hunt both sides of the ditch depending on wind. Good luck! Sounds like a fun project

b8hickman

I have been a fan of Dr Grant for years. I don't mind making one or two food plots in the middle but I really don't want to make more than that right now because this is still an investment and don't want to take out to many trees that will help pay for the land. When it becomes time to do the 1st thinning I won't mind. I just bought this property in the spring and part of me thinks I should just push the fire lanes out, hunt where I can to learn the deer movements and then put in food plots next summer.

sportsman94

I have been a fan of Dr Grant for years. I don't mind making one or two food plots in the middle but I really don't want to make more than that right now because this is still an investment and don't want to take out to many trees that will help pay for the land. When it becomes time to do the 1st thinning I won't mind. I just bought this property in the spring and part of me thinks I should just push the fire lanes out, hunt where I can to learn the deer movements and then put in food plots next summer.

I understand completely. No sense in losing out on money due to impatience. I will say I would likely put a plot by your neighbors pond. The open field should deter daytime movement from that direction so you can have a bullet proof stand location for that specific wind

Havana Dude

No more than I know about management, I think I’d do the same. Learn the land. Good luck.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Got any oaks, or persimmon tree's? I might build a food plot plan around those.

Is there water in that ditch/creek? If so, I would make sure I had a small pond dug (20' x 20'?), while the dozer is there or have him build you a dam with overflow to control the water.

Place an order now, for pickup in January, for some mast bearing tree's to plant around or near your food plot. Persimmons, Keiffer Pears, Crab Apples, Sawtooth Oaks, Chestnuts ... etc..

I think a food plot, in the center of your property might make the most sense right now? When they come and do a thinning, they will make you more food plots, LOL, where you least expect it.

Good luck! Sounds like fun!

gadeerwoman

Wildlife Group folks are top notch!!
If you're breaking new ground that has not been in open land before be prepared to see a ton of dog fennel next year. Stuff loves a newly cleared opening. Hate the stuff with a passion!!

Gut_Pile

I think you would be better off learning how the deer move first before adding your plot.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Wildlife Group folks are top notch!!
If you're breaking new ground that has not been in open land before be prepared to see a ton of dog fennel next year. Stuff loves a newly cleared opening. Hate the stuff with a passion!!

It's the weed that will not die.