Success on Saturday - Lanier 8/1

blocker67

Well, I read all the posts about the striper bite heating up and all the drop shot success and decided to head out early Saturday morning after the full moon not knowing what to expect with the fish feeding all in the moonlight. There were barely any fish surfacing which got me a little nervous because I brought my son with me who likes catching not searching. Successful saltwater fishing has spoiled him a bit.

Last week if I hit the splash ring with a topwater plug, I’d get hit before closing the bail and there would be one or two buddy fish that would trail the hooked spot to the boat. Not this week. No takers on the top.

The sun was breaking the tree line, no action and I was out of coffee so I went back to what Scout’nStripers taught me and it allowed my son to busy himself with steering the boat. We started to troll crankbaits (SKing 5XD in green back chartreuse) over humps and along shore ridges. Bingo! First fish was a spot. The funny thing is, I didn’t reel in the other crankbait while my son reeled in his fish and to my surprise at some point, a little spot swallowed the other crankbait. From that point forward, it was stripers hitting the crankbaits, which was a first for my son. The stripers where small but they were my son’s first which was a big deal since we don’t target the “heartbreak” everyone else call striped bass.

Just like any other angler, I wanted to catch one more so I was pushing our luck with the rental boats hitting the water but it was worth it. We got another strike and my son pulled in his personal best, which put on quite a show. I saw him jump and just wanted my son to see what he was fighting up close. The fish weighed in at just over 4 lbs.

All fish were successfully released. I did a lot better reviving the stripers by torpedoing them into the water. The gentle tactic did not work as well in the warm water. Off the water by 11:00am.

Attachments

• IMG_2901.jpg
    IMG_2901.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_2903.jpg
    IMG_2903.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_2911.jpg
    IMG_2911.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 446

Scout'nStripers

Well, I read all the posts about the striper bite heating up and all the drop shot success and decided to head out early Saturday morning after the full moon not knowing what to expect with the fish feeding all in the moonlight. There were barely any fish surfacing which got me a little nervous because I brought my son with me who likes catching not searching. Successful saltwater fishing has spoiled him a bit.

Last week if I hit the splash ring with a topwater plug, I’d get hit before closing the bail and there would be one or two buddy fish that would trail the hooked spot to the boat. Not this week. No takers on the top.

The sun was breaking the tree line, no action and I was out of coffee so I went back to what Scout’nStripers taught me and it allowed my son to busy himself with steering the boat. We started to troll crankbaits (SKing 5XD in green back chartreuse) over humps and along shore ridges. Bingo! First fish was a spot. The funny thing is, I didn’t reel in the other crankbait while my son reeled in his fish and to my surprise at some point, a little spot swallowed the other crankbait. From that point forward, it was stripers hitting the crankbaits, which was a first for my son. The stripers where small but they were my son’s first which was a big deal since we don’t target the “heartbreak” everyone else call striped bass.

Just like any other angler, I wanted to catch one more so I was pushing our luck with the rental boats hitting the water but it was worth it. We got another strike and my son pulled in his personal best, which put on quite a show. I saw him jump and just wanted my son to see what he was fighting up close. The fish weighed in at just over 4 lbs.

All fish were successfully released. I did a lot better reviving the stripers by torpedoing them into the water. The gentle tactic did not work as well in the warm water. Off the water by 11:00am.
Man Blocker that's awesome. Especially trolling those cranks. I love reading about successful trips, especially when the little ones are involved. Congrats!!:cheers:

Trolling cranks, wow that's a great idea. Wonderful report and such a great time with your son. Glad you both got to tug on some fishes. I'd never would have thought about trolling with cranks but now I'm a believer. Life without a bait tank I'm going to have to get creative too. Any particular reason why an Strike King 5XD. Is it because if anything else bigger it'll dive to deep? Price, looks, depth, just flat out works? Just wondering, thanks.

blocker67

I saw a post that was using chartreuse crankbaits so that's what I went with. I also wanted to get a lure that got below the heat so I picked something that went between 15'-20'. I would have never guessed chartreuse would work.

Scout'nStripers

I saw a post that was using chartreuse crankbaits so that's what I went with. I would have never guessed chartreuse would work.

That color is by far our favorite color for trolling and casting on Lanier. I would say that 80% of the fish that we catch on cranks is a mixture of chartreuse and blue. When I paint my crankbaits, there's a base coat of white followed by chartreuse on everything except the belly and then blue over the back. When the blue mixes with the chartreuse it turns a greenish-blue color. That's my favorite crankbait color combo on Lanier.

What is the setup you use for trolling crankbaits. Rod, reel, and line size/type? I have a 5-6 of those Lucky Craft Fat CB D20's in that blue back chartreuse color. Just trying to get some people on fish if the traditional ways do not work :). Thanks ahead.

blocker67

I use the same reels when I troll for mahi so that's why they have 20# line. I just pop them on shorter and stiffer boat rods for saltwater because we troll at higher speeds. I troll at about 2 mph.

Rod: Shakespeare Ugly Stik, 7' Medium Action (rated 12-30 lbs. line)
Reel: Penn Pursuit 6000
Line: Ande #20 Clear Mono
Leader: #12 or #20, Pline or Seaguar fluorocarbon clear

I connect the leader with a barrel swivel and replace my leader often.

Lanier Jim

Good stuff guys....I'll start with crankbaits over brush in September....fun stuff catching some agressive fish over cover and on points.