1983 ruger M77, good buy?

suburbanman

I found this Ruger M77 in a pawn shop. The serial number dates it to 1983, so it has the tang safety, adjustable trigger, and nice walnut stock-- actually, it was a nice walnut stock. This gun has seen a lot of wear and little care. At least, that the looks of it. My question to you gunsmiths and Ruger fans is, is this a solid enough gun to be restored, even if it looks like its been rode hard and put away wet? What's a fair price?
Thanks

7MAGMIKE

In 1985, I paid $300.00 for my 1979 model M77 7mm Rem Mag. with a Redfield 3-9 scope. It was at the time in mint condition. Since and with many hunting years under its hide it is well worn. Its wood stock is scarred it carries wear on its metalwork. I have recently installed a Hogue over molded stock in Realtree Hardwoods. It is one fine shooting rifle. I have shot groups of 0.41" at 100 yds. I would not part with this old friend for any price. See what the seller will take. You may find a new piece you become quite attached to.

Sounds like a gun I would pass on unless it was really cheap. I probably wouldn't pay more than about $250 based upon your description of it.

AR-Trvlr

Sounds like a gun I would pass on unless it was really cheap. I probably wouldn't pay more than about $250 based upon your description of it.

Ditto - in good shape it might be worth $350. As you describe it $250 would be tops, and that assumes the mechanicals are in good shape. If you can get it for $250, it might make a decent 'bearer' gun, or a project if you enjoy doing the work yourself.

Jake Allen

This is one of those old beat up walnut stocks refinished.
Sanded to 600 and about 25 coats of tru-oil.
Really good shooting gun, I have this one, (7mm mag),
and a 30-06, both mid '80's tang safety versions.

IMO, $250.00-275.00 would be a decent buy. (Including
scope rings).

Attachments

• m777mag.jpg
    m777mag.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 6,323
  • m777mag2.jpg
    m777mag2.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 7,156

suburbanman

Thanks

Thanks for advice. I talked to a gunsmith today that can refinish barrels and actions, and refinishing the stock could be a separate project.

2789britt

get it my dad left me a 1977 ruger m77 chambered in 270 winchester and it works better in my opinion than a new rifle they will treat you good if you take care of them and a plus you can pass it on down the familey.

HGM

OK, just kind of reading through.. What is the significance or more desirable trait of the "tang safety"?

suburbanman

not an expert, but....

I think this is right: what Ruger makes now is the M77 Mark 2; this has the 3 position safety and non-adjustable trigger. The ones made before this with the tang safety have triggers that you can adjust with an allen wrench in a spot in front of the trigger. All rugers are known for their ruggedness and reliability, and the older ones are often sought after for their good triggers. For me, its about nostalgia and the possibility buying some sad-looking rifle and returning it to something beautiful.

anyone wanting to trade one of those 7mm for a custom built .308 w/laminated thumbhole stock, Bold Trigger system set @2.5lbs, Sherlin Supermatch barrel floated, leupold 3x9x44 scope, gun has been glassbeaded. check pics out on other guns for sale page listed under "custombuilt .308" 1000.00 gun but I want a 7mm this years. send pics and lets talk....marcshelia@yahoo.com

thanks marc 678-544-9259

boneboy96

I believe that the tang safety is easier to work with your thumb then a cross bolt in the trigger guard...at least it seems to be for me. But then, I'm shooting shotguns more than anything so it feels natural for me to have a tang safety.

hey guys sorry for posting my rifle on more than one forum. I will not do that again. I was just wanting a 7mm bad and thought if I put my rifle on more than one page better chance that someone would see it and trade with me or just buy it. It is a fine rifle I just want a 7mm. again sorry and I will do better.
have a blessed day to all!!!

GeoW

anyone wanting to trade one of those 7mm for a custom built .308 w/laminated thumbhole stock, Bold Trigger system set @2.5lbs, Sherlin Supermatch barrel floated, leupold 3x9x44 scope, gun has been glassbeaded. check pics out on other guns for sale page listed under "custombuilt .308" 1000.00 gun but I want a 7mm this years. send pics and lets talk....marcshelia@yahoo.com

thanks marc 678-544-9259

Tell us more about the Sherlin Supermatch barrel. That a good one?

g

contender*

Ditto - in good shape it might be worth $350. As you describe it $250 would be tops, and that assumes the mechanicals are in good shape. If you can get it for $250, it might make a decent 'bearer' gun, or a project if you enjoy doing the work yourself.

It would depend on what caliber the rifle is. If by chance it be a rare one it could be worth way more even refinished.
Great rifles no matter what caliber.