2018 Clover Thread, The Gift That Keeps On Giving

davidhelmly

I pulled a card on one of my clover plots about 10 days ago and the deer are hitting it pretty hard every evening, I'm thinking that Cindy and I need to sit there one afternoon coming up.

I__00171.JPGI__00172.JPGI__00173.JPG

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Dean

Quick question for established clover plotters.....I have a plot (@ 1.25 acres) of clover standing from last Fall planting. It was bush hogged to about 5"-6" back in late July, then sprayed with clethodim + oil surfactant in late August. I have seed wheat, daikon, Abruzzi rye to plant, (+ fertilizer) as Fall crop. My question is should I simply broadcast seed on existing clover and let it be? or 'lightly disk" with harrows before broadcasting to help create a little more soil contact, my concern is damage to existing clover stand even with light disking.

GeorgeShu

David, I like the throw and mow method for your situation. Throw out the seeds and then bush hog again. Try to do this in front of a rain if possible. The seeds will make it down to the soil and any clippings will help retain moisture to aid in germination. Can also fertilize over the top as well.

davidhelmly

David, I like the throw and mow method for your situation. Throw out the seeds and then bush hog again. Try to do this in front of a rain if possible. The seeds will make it down to the soil and any clippings will help retain moisture to aid in germination. Can also fertilize over the top as well.
I don’t have the time to mow that much acreage again so it just got overseeded!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I don’t have the time to mow that much acreage again so it just got overseeded!

That's what I did with mine too. I mowed two weeks ago and last weekend I put down another 15 pounds of Duranna.

When you put the seed down with existing clover already growing? Did you just broadcast it and hope that it germinated or did you drill it in?

Triple C

I overseeded durana into my standing clover plots about a week before Micheal came through. Following Michael and the rain we received from it, I then fertilized all the clover plots with 0-20-20. I have more clover than I've ever had. 3 one-third acre plots of regal graze ladino and durana and the perimeter of out 2 largest fields in the same. I just broadcast into the standing clover with a hand spreader.

Just a personal preference, but I like my established clover as stand-alone plots. If I were planting for the 1st time I would add a nurse crop of wheat, oats or rye but since the stands are established, I just overseeded with clover and nothing else. I didn't go a good enough job of controlling grass in some of the plots this past summer and it hurt my clover. I will be more diligent next summer in controlling summer grasses. Areas where the grass didn't establish did extremely well all summer and are providing food for deer today.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
It just keeps on giving! My deer are chowing down on my perennial clover right now! The plots look imperfect, but the deer don't seem to care!

Bryans 10-28-18.jpgGasline 10-28-18-1.jpg

Canuck5

Even side by side, old vs (just getting established) new, the deer still like the established clover

Gasline 10-28-18.jpg

Canuck5

I planted 1 bag of oats mixed with 1 bag of soybeans .... Some members question if I planted too thin and I may have, but, try to find a soybean.

Squirrels Nest 10-28-18.jpg

Triple C

Took these pics this morn before I left the farm.
IMG_0824.jpgIMG_0834.jpg

Fertilized clover a week ago with 0-20-20. After bout 8 weeks with very little rain and overly warm temps the clover got stressed but is bouncing back nicely. Got all non-clover areas planted in fall mixes and overseeded clover plots with more durana. Cover...The gift that keeps on giving...

davidhelmly

I went and checked cameras yesterday and took a few pictures of a couple of clover plots, some of them are really weedy but the deer don't care in the least. Sorry for the quality of the phone video...

5MTC0001.JPG5MTC0072.JPG5MTC0099.JPG5MTC0112.JPGI__00009.JPGI__00010.JPGI__00023.JPGI__00062.JPGIMG_1619.JPGIMG_1621.JPG

Last edited:

Canuck5

LOL, the opinion of the deer, is what counts!!!!!!

Canuck5

Perennial white clover just doesn't give up. My Durana keeps reseeding itself, with no help from me.

Durana 11-10-18.jpgDurana 11-10-18-1.jpg

Canuck5

The advantage ladino, is looking great. I'm pretty please with it, so far.

Bryans stand 11-10-18-1.jpgL plot 11-10-18.jpg