2018 Clover Thread, The Gift That Keeps On Giving

deerbuster

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Would you recommend a Regal Ladino or RegalGraze instead? I'm open to any, the reason I said Durana is because of all the great reviews and research I've read on it.

RootConservative

How small are your smallest successful clover plots? Also, what have you found to be the perfect size to sustain not getting wiped out by browsing pressure and encroachment from nearby trees?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Triple C has had great success with RegalGraze up in NE Georgia. He's even added Durana to it.

I'm a big proponent of doing a mix of a couple different types of perennial white clovers. Imperial Whitetail Institute is a blend of 3 different types of clovers. Just can't hurt!

treemanjohn

Banned
I prefer to Frost or spring seed clover. I haven't seen a negative to it so far. The earlier you get the seed in the ground the better. Why wait 6 or 8 months? Besides clover seeds itself in the spring. That tells you all you need to know

Triple C

I’ve got the best stand of clover I’ve ever had and more acreage in clover than I’ve ever had. RegalGraze Ladino and Durana. I’ve never tried frost seeding or planting in Spring. Clover in these pics was planted October 2017. A couple of clover stands were planted in 2015. I lightly overseeded this past fall but the top growth won’t show up till this spring. These pics were taken on Dec 29th. It’s about as close to a year round food source as you can plant. 3D932EBA-F2FF-4513-9C85-B3C852EAD5B3.jpegB0DA3A1D-1B67-4FA7-809C-7AB5A2646144.jpeg00E1DC71-09EE-4D8D-93BB-340EC37C20BA.jpeg

Canuck5

How small are your smallest successful clover plots? Also, what have you found to be the perfect size to sustain not getting wiped out by browsing pressure and encroachment from nearby trees?

This is about a 1/4 acre, total, shaded food plot that is 50% in Durana clover. The bare spots are what was planted in annuals. Total food plot acreage on this property is about 1%, so it's always been kept eaten down.

80.JPG

Triple C

How many turkeys do you see in that wider woods road @Triple C
GP...Glad to report that we are seeing more turkeys over the past year than the previous 3 or 4 years. Somewhere around 2015 we had a crash in our turkey population that was really weird. No idea what caused it but a drastic reduction in the turkey population. Based on sightings and trail cams, we are heading back in the right direction.

As far as the wide interior roads...when we roost a tom near an interior road we set up just off the road against one of the pines a few rows back. We only took one tom from the farm last year. Expecting this year to be much better.

Canuck5

Turnips took a beating.

Big Sexy 2-10-19.jpg

Last edited:

Canuck5

Thanks! They did!!!!!!

spencer12

Does any clover grow very well in shaded areas, or heavy clay soils, or poor acidic soils?

I know those are three pretty broad categories but it seems I get mixed info from the web about clover. Some say clover grows just about anywhere, but I assume this is particular varieties and probably less preferred than other varieties.

Triple C

Spencer...Yes, clover does very well in partial shade. Pic with deer is from Jan 15th. Other pics were taken this past Friday. Clay soils are ok if ph balance is good. Acidic soils, not so good for perennial clovers. Lime, lime, lime. I haven’t pulled a soil test in about 4 yrs but I add lime every other year. This is Regal Graze Ladino clover. I added Durana clover this past fall and expecting it to do as well as the Ladino.
A13E20CA-372B-45BC-A7DA-1C0C78D2B948.jpeg21083FAC-A185-4BF6-98F3-7A7C2861A8D6.jpeg8730C958-1C23-447E-A388-6DF302E3C56A.jpeg7271FD21-79BF-4C1B-8ED1-6ECE642A5F9B.jpeg2A24EBE9-108F-4701-BE9F-4CFE1E9708E5.jpeg

Canuck5

Like Triple C says ... fix your ph problem and give it a try. I would lean a little more to using Durana under the conditions you describe. I have it in heavy clay and small plots that might get just a couple hours of sun a day.

80.JPG

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
The main drawback to me is crimson is an annual and ladino and durana are perennials.
Gotcha. I always thought it was Crimson that we planted in the pecan orchards. They come back every year tho. Maybe it's another clover.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Gotcha. I always thought it was Crimson that we planted in the pecan orchards. They come back every year tho. Maybe it's another clover.
Per Pennington-In the South, crimson can successfully reseed in September for several successive years by mowing in late August followed by light disking or even no disking, depending on soil conditions (usually heavy clay soil requires no disking, sandy requires disking). This works well (at least temporarily) when mixed with ryegrass, which will do the same thing.