2019-2020 Plantation Duck Club Thread...

jdgator

Do you ever get snipe? I understand some people like the hunt them. I have never shot one but my hunting area is full of them.

Mexican Squealer

You ever think about leaving water in longer? Being a newer club it could help birds imprint on your ponds and also gives them more nutrition before the flight home.

Absolutely DB,
I keep two impoundments flooded year round. This place has actually been managed for ducks 30 years so we got some good imprinting going on. Good suggestion for sure.

Mexican Squealer

Headed to the club in the am. Hope to sling some nitrogen, mow some dikes, put out some trail cameras and maybe spray some rice with 2-4d or round up on the corn. Been getting so much rain in the evenings I might not be able to even get my smaller tractor in the ponds. Need to buy a 4 wheeler with a spray rig and a pull behind spreader for times like this....

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Thanks for taking us along.

Mexican Squealer

Heavy afternoon downpours kept me from turning dirt this weekend unfortunately. Hope to get more bags of corn planted this week after work. Luckily I was able to fertilize everything I have in the ground. Planned on having the local co-op do do bulk fert with their spreader truck but it’s just too wet. Corn and rice are doing well, probably got some rice plots too thick. Volunteer jap is growing all over. Smartweed, barnyard grass and severa wild millets are starting to head out. Had a few summer ducks and about 20 mallards (tamies I guess) in one of the year round ponds.C51B582E-38D0-4446-8CFC-78483365DB3D.png8EA6A2C2-7E52-4791-82F5-659E0CC3AEE7.jpeg7CB878EA-7015-497F-BB10-B74B45A67527.jpegD2EA4BCF-AD5F-44C6-8360-6A0A610D4124.jpeg96782B62-FC30-4B2C-B721-DB608056C8F3.jpeg

Mexican Squealer

How long has your smartweed been in the ground? Do you think it is to late to plant smartweed?Thanks

The smartweed on my place been there for many years and the former owner was big into moist soil management. If I were going to plant some, I’d sling it this fall/winter and it should be rolling next spring. It will just lay dormant then start growing next spring. Once you get it going, it will spread like wildfire. The seed seems to work best when it has a chance to go through a freeze while dormant.

Last edited:
what maturity corn did you plant? also curious how you manage pressure? is it set, or do you decide based on what your seeing? looks like you got a good thing going. hope you have a lot of luck this winter

Mexican Squealer

what maturity corn did you plant? also curious how you manage pressure? is it set, or do you decide based on what your seeing? looks like you got a good thing going. hope you have a lot of luck this winter

Thanks! I planted the 75 day Legacy corn. We hunt on Saturdays with a couple of Wed hunts around the Holidays. This year we are going to have a couple of wild card hunts where we can put together an unscheduled hunt if a big front is coming or we have a bunch of birds. This is only my second year having the place so managing pressure is definitely something that I am monitoring and learning about. Generally, the place was hunted by the previous owner each Saturday of the season.

Mexican Squealer

Corn is jumping up pretty good. Planting crops is enjoyable and there is no doubt that ducks like crops. I get more excited about moist soil management and seeing what will be produced by just disturbing the seed bed at different times. Got a bunch of good stands of barnyard grass making seed right now. Saw some good stands of Walters millet but they are just starting to put on a head. Gonna do pics of different wild foods as they get right.
FA250022-22C0-423A-9BDF-E420299550AD.pngCEF91B27-E58C-4932-8278-51EC30BFD66A.jpeg

Last edited: