2019 Chevy issue

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Replaced engine and transmission under extended warranty couple years ago…..

I have 47,000 on it now. About once every couple of weeks it’ll kick itself out of cruise control. The other issue is it’ll cut off at a stop sign / red light.

It’ll crank right back up. No codes, even when connected and driving it - didn’t throw a code. Chevrolet checked it today, all software is up to date. No loose wiring.

I’m lost.

Waddams

Not sure if you have gone through these things or not, but there are apparently a high number of recalls, including the electrical system and the little computer control module dohickies. https://www.cars.com/research/chevrolet-silverado_1500-2019/recalls/

Sorry if I'm telling you things you know and have checked - but you should be able to see if the recall fixes have been done by searching your VIN here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

I found another article about that model that talked about the various problems not diagnosing right, etc. so that when a dealer or mechanic check it, the codes all say it's A-okay.

Apparently the 2019 was the first year of a new Silverado generation and has bugs that weren't present in prior years? Maybe even subsequent years?

If you've already been through these checks, I got nothing else. Sorry!

transfixer

Replaced engine and transmission under extended warranty couple years ago…..

I have 47,000 on it now. About once every couple of weeks it’ll kick itself out of cruise control. The other issue is it’ll cut off at a stop sign / red light.

It’ll crank right back up. No codes, even when connected and driving it - didn’t throw a code. Chevrolet checked it today, all software is up to date. No loose wiring.

I’m lost.

I would take it back to the dealer and request that their best driveability tech check it, if it is driven with a scanner hooked up and in the engine data section, they can drive it and the scanner can be recording so that when it cuts off they will be able to save the recording and then look it over slowly when back at the shop, something is causing it to cut off obviously, either the computer is telling it to ? or its loosing a signal from some sensor, a data stream recording will tell them which one ,

Unfortunately most dealership techs are really no better than your average parts replacer at many local shops, so you may have to end up going to another dealership to find someone competent

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Not sure if you have gone through these things or not, but there are apparently a high number of recalls, including the electrical system and the little computer control module dohickies. https://www.cars.com/research/chevrolet-silverado_1500-2019/recalls/

Sorry if I'm telling you things you know and have checked - but you should be able to see if the recall fixes have been done by searching your VIN here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

I found another article about that model that talked about the various problems not diagnosing right, etc. so that when a dealer or mechanic check it, the codes all say it's A-okay.

Apparently the 2019 was the first year of a new Silverado generation and has bugs that weren't present in prior years? Maybe even subsequent years?

If you've already been through these checks, I got nothing else. Sorry!
No, you’re fine. I’m just starting this process. Today was the first day they’ve ran diagnostics on it. They’re just lost at this point with no codes.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I would take it back to the dealer and request that their best driveability tech check it, if it is driven with a scanner hooked up and in the engine data section, they can drive it and the scanner can be recording so that when it cuts off they will be able to save the recording and then look it over slowly when back at the shop, something is causing it to cut off obviously, either the computer is telling it to ? or its loosing a signal from some sensor, a data stream recording will tell them which one ,

Unfortunately most dealership techs are really no better than your average parts replacer at many local shops, so you may have to end up going to another dealership to find someone competent
Thanks, I’ll take it another dealership and see if I can get further.

Waddams

One of the recalls listed shows an electrical issue that disconnects the power supply and kills the vehicle. And it's one that apparently that doesn't show up on diagnostics if I remember correctly.

transfixer

Thanks, I’ll take it another dealership and see if I can get further.

I'm serious ! any tech worth his salt should know how to check a problem like that ! its really not that complicated, a good scanner will monitor all the engine inputs and commands from the computer, and can take a "movie" of what is happening while you drive , so when something glitches out or causes it to shut down, its simply a matter of looking at all the monitored pids at the time of the occurrence

transfixer

One of the recalls listed shows an electrical issue that disconnects the power supply and kills the vehicle. And it's one that apparently that doesn't show up on diagnostics if I remember correctly.

might not throw a code, but monitoring power at the ecm, or power to the injectors , etc,etc, you could tell which one loses power if you were recording the data at the time

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I'm serious ! any tech worth his salt should know how to check a problem like that ! its really not that complicated, a good scanner will monitor all the engine inputs and commands from the computer, and can take a "movie" of what is happening while you drive , so when something glitches out or causes it to shut down, its simply a matter of looking at all the monitored pids at the time of the occurrence
That’s the problem right now………..it might only do it once every several thousand milled. But it’ll head to a different dealership tomorrow.

transfixer

That’s the problem right now………..it might only do it once every several thousand milled. But it’ll head to a different dealership tomorrow.
Any recent work done on the truck around the time it started doing this ? anything ? no matter how unrelated it might seem ?

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
The 19-21's have service bulletins that discuss chaffing of the ecu cable at multiple places. Im dealing with it on a 21. Mine was over the driver side top a arm.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Any recent work done on the truck around the time it started doing this ? anything ? no matter how unrelated it might seem ?
Other than normal service (oil changes) nothing has been done since replacing the engine and transmission when I had that loss of power issue here while back. That was 47,000 miles ago.

This issue just started at about 40,000 miles.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
It’s has “Auto Stop”. Once the truck is conditioned it will turn off when you stop. Once you let off the brake it will start back up. 2019 was the 1st year for that in the Silverado. There’s a button with an “A” on your dash that will turn that off but you have to turn it off every time you get in the truck. It’s “supposed “ to save fuel.

jam

Sons 2018 would shutdown at red light, hauled it in several times, I finally pitched a fit about it! They kept it for a month before they figured it out. They did give us a new one off lot or him to drive during this time. The issue was the ground to block of engine was a little loose and would break connection causing the shutdown and run rough at times.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
It’s has “Auto Stop”. Once the truck is conditioned it will turn off when you stop. Once you let off the brake it will start back up. 2019 was the 1st year for that in the Silverado. There’s a button with an “A” on your dash that will turn that off but you have to turn it off every time you get in the truck. It’s “supposed “ to save fuel.
I cut mine off every time I get in the truck. This is actually shutting off, having to put in park and recrank.

killerv

I'm pretty sure he would have found that button by now