2019 Chevy issue

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I was just kidding, I've got a 2020 gmc, waiting for my issues to start, already had the rear leaky window
I wished I could go back to a 78 Chevy so I could keep a screw driver, channel locks and hammer and a gallon of water on the back………..that’ll usually get ya home.

transfixer

You guys with the GM trucks made since 2017/2018 should probably get to know your dealer service writer or shop foreman on a friendly basis, maybe buy them lunch or a 12 pack, because you'll be seeing them a good bit while the truck is still under warranty, :sneaky:

Al White

You guys with the GM trucks made since 2017/2018 should probably get to know your dealer service writer or shop foreman on a friendly basis, maybe buy them lunch or a 12 pack, because you'll be seeing them a good bit while the truck is still under warranty, :sneaky:
That is the dang truth. My 18 is nearly "new" now. The 6.2 engine lifters went out along with the cam, got it replaced. New control arms, ball joints, etc, and now the transmission is getting replaced. I thought about selling it, but at this point I'm in it for the long run.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
That is the dang truth. My 18 is nearly "new" now. The 6.2 engine lifters went out along with the cam, got it replaced. New control arms, ball joints, etc, and now the transmission is getting replaced. I thought about selling it, but at this point I'm in it for the long run.
I’m undecided. I want to keep mine since I got a new engine and transmission…….but now leaning towards a 2500 diesel.

transfixer

As soon as the factory warranty is out on those 6.2 engines, if you want to keep the truck a long time I suggest you get someone to remove the AFM/DFM cam and lifters and install a normal cam and normal lifters, and delete the AFM/DFM from the computer, and have them disable the torque converter lockup until at least 45mph in 5th gear, then you'll have a powertrain that should go 300k with no problems, otherwise you'll be doing cam and lifters again at some point

killerv

As soon as the factory warranty is out on those 6.2 engines, if you want to keep the truck a long time I suggest you get someone to remove the AFM/DFM cam and lifters and install a normal cam and normal lifters, and delete the AFM/DFM from the computer, and have them disable the torque converter lockup until at least 45mph in 5th gear, then you'll have a powertrain that should go 300k with no problems, otherwise you'll be doing cam and lifters again at some point
same for the 5.3, just not as many with the issue.

I wonder if a lot of the 6.2 issues are with folks not running premium and also hotrodding around town thinking they are in a 'vette

You are right though, people are disabling afm and auto start, but its still the junk lifters. I was just reading this week about an amsoil upper cylinder lubricate that it supposed to help these lifters out.

transfixer

same for the 5.3, just not as many with the issue.

I wonder if a lot of the 6.2 issues are with folks not running premium and also hotrodding around town thinking they are in a 'vette

You are right though, people are disabling afm and auto start, but its still the junk lifters. I was just reading this week about an amsoil upper cylinder lubricate that it supposed to help these lifters out.

When they changed the system from AFM to DFM in 18 the way it deactivates the cylinders is a bit different from the way AFM did, I think that contributes to the failure, I don't remember enough of the details to describe it, my random access memory in my brain can't keep up with all the stuff I need to, but one of the recent training classes I went to did a brief overview of the system differences,

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Finally found it. Had to trace it down with a light. Bad connection at the crank sensor. This never did throw a code. Check engine light came on once and went away but never stored a code.

Fixed the connection, reprogrammed and no more issues.