2024 Chehaw Frontier Festival?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
We got home last night. Long ride from the mountains to the festival and back again. Something like 700 miles when it was all said and done.
It was well worth every mile. My kids had a ball the whole time, and blew through most of their money buying gifts for everyone they know. Lots to look at and lots to participate in. I didn't take near enough pictures, but the memories are etched in my mind.
The highlight for me was seeing @Nicodemus and @chehawknapper working in tandem. Whether it was skinning and butchering a deer with flakes of Coastal Plains chert, or teaching onlookers about firemaking, knapping, hide tanning, or any other aspect of life from the era, these two are the master class.

It was also a pleasure to run into a few fellow GONers. Always nice to put a face with a name.

Thanks to all, for the memories.

Mr. Ben, teaching as he works.

20240113_104548.jpg

Mr. Nick, who my children now adore.
20240113_154348.jpg

How could anyone not be impressed with this?
20240113_161334.jpg

Throwing the tomahawk. My son already requested we fire up the forge and make more hawks.
20240113_160114.jpg

The mule skinners kept the roads hot.
20240113_115029.jpg

Handmade crafts and beadwork galore!

20240113_145831.jpg

My daughter bought pressed flowers for everyone. Real works of art.
20240115_093826.jpg

20240115_093851.jpg
Already making plans to go back.

slow motion

My old hat finally gave up the ghost after 30 years and I had to grab a quick substitute. I`ll have me a good one before next year. :)
Looks like a fine hat to me though if memory serves me correctly you were wearing a knitted, maybe, hat perhaps green a couple years ago. Need to rephrase my question. Wasn't implying the hat needed to be stretched to fit YOUR head. Meant for that style of hat is it stretched or is there a seam sewn in?

Showed pics to the wife this morning. Said had thought we might go but wanted to get in a last hunt. She replied, half joking, so I got cheated? Not sure I'll share the pics @northgeorgiasportsman posted of the wares for sale. She might not be jokingly this time.

Shotgun1

Camille and I sure hated to miss the Festival. I just couldn't get up enough steam to git it done, Hate to admit it but these 89 ice cream seasons have taken a toll on this old man. Glad you folks had a good time. Thanks for the pictures. Sure would be good to have a spring meet somewhere north of Macon. Wishing all on this Forum a great 2024. SG1

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Thanks again for the lessons, @Nicodemus
Coleman had his test this evening. You be the judge.

First, we collected a bird's nest from our birch tree.
20240115_115651.jpg

Then we applied what Nick taught us with our new fire steel.
20240115_172101.jpg

20240115_172743.jpg

Waiting on char cloth to cool
20240115_175640.jpg

20240115_180518.jpg

Now we're just warming our hands with a hard-earned fire!

20240115_181345.jpg

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill

View attachment 1283277

View attachment 1283279

View attachment 1283281

View attachment 1283282

View attachment 1283283

View attachment 1283284
Good job young man!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

View attachment 1283277

View attachment 1283279

View attachment 1283281

View attachment 1283282

View attachment 1283283

View attachment 1283284

This post, and these pictures, make it all worthwhile. A real skill, with young people who want to learn, and take the lessons taught to them to heart and to use them. Ya`ll are good folks, Wes, and Coleman and Miss Layla are a major part of the good hope for this country in the future. I offer ya`ll a standing invitation to come back this next year, to spend another weekend with us, and continue their learning of even more skills to insure a better future.

I`m proud beyond belief for them. :)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Looks like a fine hat to me though if memory serves me correctly you were wearing a knitted, maybe, hat perhaps green a couple years ago. Need to rephrase my question. Wasn't implying the hat needed to be stretched to fit YOUR head. Meant for that style of hat is it stretched or is there a seam sewn in?

Showed pics to the wife this morning. Said had thought we might go but wanted to get in a last hunt. She replied, half joking, so I got cheated? Not sure I'll share the pics @northgeorgiasportsman posted of the wares for sale. She might not be jokingly this time.

That old Courier de Bois Toque finally wore out after about 30 years of cold, black powder smoke, dropped in several campfires and cooking fires, and throwing at a particular youngun to try to wake him up to make a fire, ..... let`s just say its time for a new hat. :)