2024 Oglethorpe County

Grunt-n-bleat

Well just to update, i havent been able to get back to our beloved OC club since 12/24. With the rain, and coming down with the worst case of chest crud I have ever had, ive been down and out the last 10-12 days.
Hoping this junk breaks loose before the Pine Goat season ends.

However, there are plenty of hawgs that are in dire need of killing.
Hope all of you have a prosperous 2024, mine hasnt started off the best!!

Grunt-n-bleat

Well, the last weekend of pine goat season is upon us.
Anyone heading out this weekend looking for that last freezer queen?
Me and Ol' Killer gonna try to make it down in the morning Lord willing. Been since 12/24 since I have hunted for deer!
Kind of bittersweet, this may be the last Golden Pantry biscuit for a while. Been a great 23/24 season for me and ol killer.

5 deer taken this year and 4 hogs off our club.

Grunt-n-bleat

Well deer sightings were minimal this weekend. Duck hunters tore it up Saturday morning down on Long Creek. Sounded like some of them mighta melted some barrels. 50-60 shots at a minimum.
Glad they had some luck.
Wind had the deer i did see all kinds of skittish.

Sunday morning wasnt much better, 1 small button head and that was it. Also, had a sneaky sow on feeder before shooting light.
Got cam notification, scanned with thermal, and poof she was no where to be seen.
Overall has been a amazing season sharing it with my pops.

May try to bring the rabbit dogs, down before too long and chase some cottontails.

Best of luck to all of you! Stay warm!

fredw

Retired Moderator
Post season trip yesterday to top off three feeders. The logging roads were muddy and slippery from the rain this past week. Saw five does. Had to reset a blind that had blown over in the wind.

We are waiting for the loggers to show and clear cut just about half of the property (including our last stand of oaks). We were notified of the planned harvest before the season opened last fall and fortunately were able to get the full deer season in.

The other half our lease was clear cut before.

Buford_Dawg

Got a rabbit hunt in last Sunday, dogs ran rabbits for 5 solid hours, crazy thing was only one bunny down. Several more shots fired. Hunting a 4 year old thick clear cut and visibility was tough to say the least. Had a blast listening to dogs run that whole time. Need a few more roads, clearings in the cut, but paper company not gonna allow that. Fun times....

transfixer

As some of you may know I dropped out of my longtime Oglethorpe county club back two seasons ago, I'm still hoping the guy that controls the lease on my old club ends up dropping it, but can't count on that, I'm in line to take it over if he does, but in case anyone knows of a lease that comes open this year, let me know, myself and a buddy who I've hunted with for years are missing Oglethorpe pretty bad, and we've got 2 or 3 other guys who will join us if we are able to get ahold of a lease, if anyone knows of something please PM me