209's and BH in my TC Hawken

Roadking65

Hi Guys!
So I went to the lease where I can shoot my rifle at my own pace.
Using iron sights, on bench in rest.
I loaded a .495 rb w/pre lubed patch.
1st time with BH, and 777 209 primer. (for BP)
80gr. Gun sounded funny like not enough bang. Missed paper at 50 yds.
Moved up to 25 yds. 90Gr. BH. Gun sounds and feels right. (hit just below bulls eye)
but noticed a definate lag between the primer pop and powder bang.
I ran a patch thru barrel one with solvent, several dry but not totally clean.
Checked primer cup didnt see any build up but ran pick thru it anyway.
Loaded another 90 gr. and 777 primer. Definate Lag.
loaded another 90 gr. and used a shotshell primer I had on hand and no lag at all. (hit just above bulls eye and to the left of that shot an inch on 2nd shot)
Backed up to 35 yds and shot way high and to left. Then it was 92 deg and no breeze decided to try again next Sun.
This was my 1st experience with BH. I also noticed its grainer and dont like to fall freely down thru my powder measure. had to untip it thump it hard and repour.
Before I was using goex fffg which I know is finer for pistols, but is this how all ffg and rifle powders are?
Should I Stick with the BH in my gun? 1:48 twist.
I definately noticed way less smoke when shooting. However the clean up wasn't that much better IMO.

Any and all comments wanted. Thanks in advance.
RK

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
With a T/C Hawken, I would shoot either Goex ffg or Pyrodex RS with a # 11 or musket cap. It has worked and worked well for a long, long time. That is what that gun is designed for. It is not designed to shoot 777 with shotgun primers. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have killed an enormous pile of deer with my Hawken and Goex ffg lighting it with #11 caps. Black powder goes off faster and better than any of the new powders. A pound will last you a long time.

godogs57

That Hawken is screaming for the real deal....black powder. Your "click...bang" episodes will disappear, as will your inaccuracy. Lots of folks hate having to clean bp residue, but actually it's not that big a deal. I just use vinegar formulation Windex as a bore cleaner between shots and for final cleanup and it does a fantastic job.

TJay

If you want to shoot BH209 you need to get rid of the 777 primers (for black powder) and get some standard or magnum 209 primers for shotguns. The 209's made for black powder are not hot enough for consistent ignition with BH209.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That Hawken is screaming for the real deal....black powder. Your "click...bang" episodes will disappear, as will your inaccuracy. Lots of folks hate having to clean bp residue, but actually it's not that big a deal. I just use vinegar formulation Windex as a bore cleaner between shots and for final cleanup and it does a fantastic job.

In all honesty, I find real black powder to be a good bit easier to clean than the substitutes.

Roadking65

Okay!
Thank you for the replies, much appriciated!
I just heard so much good about BH I wanted to try it.
My gun came with the 209 conversion. I like the 209 bc it sits under a threaded cap (weather risistant). I have a replica 58 Rem. 36 cal pistol that uses #11 caps fine but have been known to drop off while carrying around in my hand.
I reckon I'm going to switch back to the fffg goex I have until I use it up then buy ffg next go around. I also have a pound of black diamond fffg un opened. Anyone want to buy or trade anything for my remaining nearly full bottle of BH? I doubt I'm going to use it.

Roadking65

no one wants the bh209? Im on south side near Mcdonough area