Unburned BH 209

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
After 5 days of not pulling the trigger, I had to come back to civilization today. When I got back to camp, I discharged my rifle while standing next to my truck. As I was leaving, I noticed a great many particles of unburned powder on the hood of my truck. I've never noticed it before, but I've never fired my rifle across the hood of a white truck either.
Is BH 209 known for this?

Before you ask, it was a 90gr charge. I cleaned my rifle last week and fired 3 shots through it to check zero. I loaded it Saturday morning and just fired it today. Rifle is a CVA Wolf and primer was CCI.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I never fired one of mine over a white truck hood either but I would guess that there is some unburned powder grains expelled with every shot. It might be interesting to experiment with a sheet or something to see if reducing the load might result in a more full burn.

jbogg

I’ve never thought to look for that, but if you were discharging at a target was your point of impact affected?

35 Whelen

I started out with 90 grains of Triple Seven FFG powder in my muzzleloader which was the recommended load in the owners manual and noticed unburned powder. Worked down to 70 grains and got better accuracy, no unburned powder, and higher velocity (bullets hit higher on target with the 70 grain load than the 90 grain load.) I guess less is more sometimes.

RomeWolf

I’ve never checked for unburned powder. Was the CCI primer a shot shell primer like 209M or a standard muzzleloader primer? They recommend shot shell primers for best ignition. Also CVA makes a breech plug for Wolf, Optima, etc specifically designed for BH 209. I think it has a larger flash channel.

flconch53

The old wisdom is you are seeing unburnt powder you are using more than you need. Shoot over a bed sheet or in the snow to check. In this world of $50.00 a pound powder it would be nice to know.