300 blackout for hunting deer. 1

bornahunter

I bought a new 300 acc blackout AR pistol platform trying to decide whether to hunt.with it. Or not. I found some 147 gr Winchester rounds does any one have experience in shooting. Deer or pigs with the 300 blackout . Thanks for any feed back

Have a great season .

Nimrod71

No I haven't but a friend told me yesterday he sold 300 Blackout after he lost the 4 deer he shot with it. He said it would kill deer but he lost to many that he couldn't find. Now, I have killed deer with a 22 long rifle several times but I do not hunt deer with one. My choice deer weapons are: 7mm-08, 308, 7mm Mauser, 280, 270, 30-06, 7mm Mag., 44 mag., 45-70. Always carry enough gun for a one shot kill.

Jester896

Senior Clown
is the 147gr FMJ? Can't hunt with that. 125 gr would be better suited but I don't know in pistol length gas systems

about like using a .30-30

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
about the same ballistics as a 30-30, and the same range. I have killed several deer with my 300BO, never had one run more than 30 to 40 yards, and most drop within 10 yards. The places I hunt you rarely get a shot at 100 yards, and never one at 200, so the ballistics work out just fine for me.

Are there better calibers out there for deer? yes, but there are a lot of worse ones too. I would 10-1 rather be armed with my 300BO in the woods I hunt than a .243

mrfudd

I’ve killed deer with the Barnes 110 gr supersonic load and Remington subsonic loads. Both effective killers if you hit them right.

transfixer

I've taken one buck so far with a .300bo, using 125gr ballistic tips, that was with 16in barreled AR, this year I will use my 10.5in AR pistol in .300bo, but I'll be using 125gr Hornady sst's I loaded myself, the buck I shot ran maybe 30yds and piled up, high shoulder shot that got the lungs, but didn't hit the spine, bullet didn't pass through, found it under the skin on the opposite side, that was mostly due to the bullet, ballistic tips have always come apart for me, almost never stay together, I should have known better.

Its a doable cartridge for deer , but I would keep the distance to under 100yds if it were me, the 150gr loads may well pass through, I just like the 125gr's because of a little higher velocity. its not an ideal cartridge for deer, its best suited as a short range combat round, especially when using subsonics and a suppressor.

There are some videos on YT you can check out, guys using the 300bo on hogs, I think a lot of them even use 110gr loads, my pistol won't group those very tight, so I stick with 125's, one big plus for the round is the variety of bullets you can load, from light to heavy.

Rich M

I hunt with a 357 mag a bit and really like that little rifle for shots under 100-125 yards. It makes a decent entry hole but is a one hole gun much of the time. The positive is that I've only tracked 1 deer out of 12 shot with an XTP load at 1900 fps.

Anyway - last time I looked, it had a little more KE than the 300bo out to 100 and then things favor the 300bo.

With those 150 gr loads, figure out what the velocity needs to be for expansion. That'll tell you about the max range - if the bullet isn't gonna expand, no sense shooting that distance. Make good shots and you'll find the deer.

Nimrod71

It's all about shot placement and range. A 300 will kill deer within its limits. I would use Nosler BT for deer due to there fast expansion and the shock effect it has on deer.

Mars

I plan to hunt with my 10.5" 300BO this season too. Most of my stands have a maximum shot distance of less than 50yds so it should do just fine.

Ive loaded some Barnes 110gr tac-tx, some 125gr SST, and some 220gr Sierra pro-hunters. I'd like to use the 220gr subsonic load and a friend of mine claims that they will expand but im a little hesitant.

pacecars

Shot placement, bullets and knowing the ballistics and capability of the round along with your own abilities is key. If someone is losing four deer it ain’t the cartridge’s fault. Barnes 110 or 120 gr loads have worked very well for me in supersonic loads.

transfixer

I plan to hunt with my 10.5" 300BO this season too. Most of my stands have a maximum shot distance of less than 50yds so it should do just fine.

Ive loaded some Barnes 110gr tac-tx, some 125gr SST, and some 220gr Sierra pro-hunters. I'd like to use the 220gr subsonic load and a friend of mine claims that they will expand but im a little hesitant.

I'm trying the sst's because they are supposed to stay together better than ballistic tips, since the velocity of the 300bo isn't up high enough to have much shock effect, I'm wanting to make sure I get complete pass throughs, I haven't tried the Barnes 110's, I shot Hornady 110 soft points and they wouldn't group worth a flip,, Barnes might group better being a longer bullet. Might have to order some and try em.

Mars

I'm trying the sst's because they are supposed to stay together better than ballistic tips, since the velocity of the 300bo isn't up high enough to have much shock effect, I'm wanting to make sure I get complete pass throughs, I haven't tried the Barnes 110's, I shot Hornady 110 soft points and they wouldn't group worth a flip,, Barnes might group better being a longer bullet. Might have to order some and try em.

At 50yds, the 110 Barnes and the 125 SSTs grouped about the same out of my pistol.

Anyone shot a deer with 300 subsonics? I've looked on a few other forums and it seems to stir some debate. I've seen that Hornady recently released a 190gr subsonic bullet indented to take medium sized game(50-300lbs).

Wjackson11x

I have shot several deer with my 9.5" 300blk build. All using 125gr Nosler ballistic tips (green tips). I also have a suppressor and will be using Discreet Ballistics sub sonic rounds this year. The barnes bullets are also a good choice.
Not saying it can't be done, but would recommend 100yds or less.
Below is a 211 lb buck that I killed a few years ago. Shot placement is everything

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The SSTs have performed very well for me in the similar 7.62x39 platform from a 16" AR barrel. I've killed a few with them. They died dead.

Reactions: Dub