375 Ruger vs 375 H&H

fatback

Fellow GONers, I am wanting to get a dangerous game rifle and at this point I am considering the 2 callers mentioned. I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with either one? Pros/Cons of each? To be a little more specific, I would prefer a bolt gun and the kicker is I am a lefty and would really prefer a left handed gun. I haven’t bout a new rifle since 2005 and I am completely unfamiliar with buying a gun on-line. I am sorta lost in how to proceed. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

fauxferret

Fellow GONers, I am wanting to get a dangerous game rifle and at this point I am considering the 2 callers mentioned. I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with either one? Pros/Cons of each? To be a little more specific, I would prefer a bolt gun and the kicker is I am a lefty and would really prefer a left handed gun. I haven’t bout a new rifle since 2005 and I am completely unfamiliar with buying a gun on-line. I am sorta lost in how to proceed. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I am also afflicted with being a south paw. I personally own two left handed 375 H&H rifles. As far as ballistics and performance they are very similar to the idea behind the 375 Ruger was to get H&H performance using a shorter action. This goes back to the antiquated times the H&H came about back when cordite was the propellant of choice. I have loaded extensively for this cartridge I also cast lead and load them light at 38-55 velocity. Works well for critters down here and it’s like shooting a 30-30 recoil wise. I also use Speer 235, and Nosler accubond 270’s. As far as rifles you may be stuck on the Ruger I know they occasionally make a left hand 375 Ruger. Or you could always search out a number 1 but you’ll pay a premium. Both of mine are bolt actions one is a Bauer Mauser the other is a Zastava built like the old M70 winchesters. If you need more info on either or help searching let me know. Your other option is to find a custom rifle maker. You could also try to see if you can find one of the recently made CZ left handed rifles. They only made them for a year or two then discontinued them. Missed out on that one. Only con I see is availability of ammo. It has always been easier to find 375 mag than 375 Ruger in my experience.

fatback

I am also afflicted with being a south paw. I personally own two left handed 375 H&H rifles. As far as ballistics and performance they are very similar to the idea behind the 375 Ruger was to get H&H performance using a shorter action. This goes back to the antiquated times the H&H came about back when cordite was the propellant of choice. I have loaded extensively for this cartridge I also cast lead and load them light at 38-55 velocity. Works well for critters down here and it’s like shooting a 30-30 recoil wise. I also use Speer 235, and Nosler accubond 270’s. As far as rifles you may be stuck on the Ruger I know they occasionally make a left hand 375 Ruger. Or you could always search out a number 1 but you’ll pay a premium. Both of mine are bolt actions one is a Bauer Mauser the other is a Zastava built like the old M70 winchesters. If you need more info on either or help searching let me know. Your other option is to find a custom rifle maker. Only con I see is availability of ammo. It has always been easier to find 375 mag than 375 Ruger in my experience.
Thank you for the information. I need all the help I can get.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The H&H has a long, long, history of being one of the world's greatest effective dangerous game calibers. If it ain't broke, don't fix it to fit the modern short action cult fad, IMO. Plus, ammo availability.

earlthegoat2

The H&H and Ruger 375s are neck and neck performancewise.

My observation is that 375 Ruger is easier to find ammo for.

The Ruger guide gun comes in lefty as well as the Ruger Alaskan. Hide are both in 375 Ruger.

If you peruse GB, Browning lefty bolt guns in 375 H&H tend to pop up here and there.

fatback

based on my research(admittedly very limited) I would prefer the H&H. A little heavier typically which should help with recoil and it is one of the classics. There are certainly some selling points for the Ruger as well. However, it may boil down to which one I can find to actually be able to purchase. I also want to be able to buy at least 100 rounds when I purchase the rifle, if possible. I appreciate the input.

SC Hunter

I had a Remington 700 in 375 h&h back several years ago and enjoyed shooting it. Let me say it had some heavy recoil but it was fun to shoot. My baby brother killed a deer with it one afternoon and said it kicked him like a donkey when he touched it off. ? mine was in a right handed version and got sent down the trade/sold road after a while.

Robust Redhorse

I would definitely go with the H&H.

You might be able to find ammo here, but good luck in Zimbabwe, Mozambique or Botswana.

If your DG hunting takes to anywhere but South Africa or maybe Namibia, your ammo gets separated from all of your other luggage. If it doesn't make it to your final destination, you may be in for a tough time.

Nimrod71

If you are hunting outside of the U.S. I would go with the H & H. Regardless I would make sure I had an abundant ammo supply for both the H & H and Ruger 375 ammo cannot be found everywhere. I had a Rem. 700 in 375 H & H for several years, planned a Griz hunt but never made it. As stated above I reloaded like white tail loads for it and enjoyed shooting it.

I have a lefty Ruger in .375 Ruger and I have had zero issues with it. It has been to South Africa and Botswanna twice with almost no tracking needed on anything I shot. None of the PH's batted an eye when they asked me what I brought with me. Most hunters leave partial boxes of shells behind with the PH's so they have lots of calibers on hand. If I see .375 Ruger ammo, I buy some. I probably have a life time supply at this point because I don't shoot it that much. Is .375H&H easier to find in remote places, probably. But most of these places are SO remote that if anything goes sideways you just end up using one of the PH's guns. From experience, I would NOT recommend sitting down at a bench and shooting 2 consecutive boxes of .375 Ruger, they kick like a mule. But they are super effective, I shot a Wildebeest straight on and had the bullet pass the entire length of the animal. Funny thing is, when you are on an animal and touch off that trigger, I never feel any recoil! Good luck!

I’ve got a .375Ruger. M77MkII Hawkeye “African”.
I picked it up used at a lgs that couldn’t sell it.
After getting the rifle, I acquired dies and started pursuing components. This was circa 2011 so most gun shops that were established and sold components had dusty boxes sitting in corners!
I found at one shop, 250 Sierra BTSPT GameKing in a gallon bag. Bought it for $25.00.
At Franklins, in Bogart, I found a box of 50, 300gr Nosler Partitions. $26.00!
At a shop in Alabama I found 5 boxes of 100 Hornady 270gr RN (pre Interlock, cardboard boxes), $18.00/box. At a flea market I snagged a box of Nosler 50rd box of 260gr Accubond for $24.00....
I’ve got a lifetime (+), of jacketed bullets now.
It’s a really accurate rifle. The heavy taper barrel is stiff and helps steady your hold. It really likes RL15 with 225gr Hornady PtSpts, 235gr Speer Semi Pts, and 250gr Sierra’s.
With the 270gr’s, it thrives on IMR or H4350.
My favorite “Georgia” load is the 235gr Speer over 75gr of RL15. It runs about 2,700fps and recoil is modest.
I’ve removed the factory 1/2” butt pad and cut 1/2” off the stock and fitted a Pachmayer Old English “Decelerator” Brown recoil pad. It looks like it grew there! makes the rifle handle and feel like a .30/06 with heavy 180gr loads.
The only time I’ve hunted it outside Georgia was in 2013 in Wyoming elk hunting. Didn’t shoot an elk with it, but it was reassuring to have those 300gr Nosler’s when walking back up on a carcass when packing out other’s kills...
since then, a hunter has been killed by a grizzly defending a kill in that zone...

Word has it that the previous owner was a doctor in Columbus that took it to Africa and hunted taking plains game to include Cape buffalo. If only it could talk!

fatback

I just got back from hunting one earlier this month. I’ve never done hard drugs but you hear folks talking about getting hooked the very first time. I can understand that with buffalo hunting the first time. I am already planning my second trip to hunt for them but I want to have my own rifle next time.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Either .375 Cartridge will do the job. I have a 90's era Win M70 in .375H&H. I've taken Whitetails and a Black Bear with Barnes 210gr X Bullets. Don't know if I'll ever get to Africa but I will be ready if I do.
210gr Barnes X, 270gr Barnes X, 285gr Speer Grand Slam, 300gr Nosler Partition.
20221018_094142.jpg