.38 s & w special?

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
My mother has inherited a smith and wesson model 36 and the barrel reads 38 s&w spl. Does the ammo have to specify 38 s&w special or or is it the same round commonly referred to as 38 special?

Lilly001

So does the ammo box that only says 38 special work in a gun that say 38 s & w spl on the barrel?
Pictures?
If it has the words 38 special on it, regardless of other wording, I would say yes.
But it’s your hand.
You could have a local smith look at it if you are still concerned.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Pictures?
If it has the words 38 special on it, regardless of other wording, I would say yes.
But it’s your hand.
You could have a local smith look at it if you are still concerned.
My camera doesn't work on my phone but the barrel specifically say 38 S&W SPL. It is a model 36 j frame revolver.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think that would be a .38 Special. The .38 S&W I thought was a shorter cartridge also known as a 38 short. I will look at my 10 when I get home to see how the barrel is stamped.

My dad had a Webly revolver in 38 S&W . He brought it home from WW2 . I always called it a 38 short

Gator89

I don't think the model 36 was ever chambered in the old 38 S&W, only 38 special.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Model_36#:~:text=The Smith & Wesson Model 36,38 Special.

The Model 36 was designed in the era just after World War II, when Smith & Wesson stopped producing war materials and resumed normal production. For the Model 36, they sought to design a revolver that could fire the more powerful (compared to the .38 Long Colt or the .38 S&W) .38 Special round in a small, concealable package. Since the older I-frame was not able to handle this load, a new frame was designed, which became the J-frame.

specialk

Your model 36 will shoot .38 special, commonly found in most all local gun stores

Lilly001

That j frame is an excellent carry gun.
I would put a set of rubber grips on it and feel confident to carry it anywhere.