$400-500 scope

nmurph

I picked up a scope checker a couple of months ago. My scopes are coming off the rifles and onto the comparator when the season is over.

Last edited:

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Sounds interesting. First I've heard of one.

Gojo03

I'm a big fan of the Leupold VX-3i.. I'm not a knob turner for hunting so they seem to work quite well for me. 3.5-10x40 is my go to. I have been kicking around the idea of trying a VX-5hd soon, I'm just not sure I need anything more than the 3

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I bought a Leupold VX-3i for a new rifle a few years ago. Its a great scope for the money. You can see to shoot before and past legal shooting light.

When i was putting together a dangerous game rifle. One of the most popular scopes was a Leupold 1.5 x 6. Says alot about Leupold when it has a big following in the africa world. Most of those guys can buy any scope they want.

Reactions: Dub

JeffinPTC

I like my Trijicons. For hunting at less than 200 yds, the triangle post just works. I've got Leupolds, but the fiber optic is always the right brightness without fiddling with buttons. If you aren't in a hurry, you might find the AccuPOWER fiber/battery 3-9 for less than $500, and the AccuPOINT fiber/tritium for $560

https://www.midwayusa.com/centerfire-scopes/br?cid=11396&targetLocation=/_/N-0+4294967241+11396

refresh this link weekly:

https://www.dvor.com/search/trijicon?categories[]=2179&page=1

Rich M

I'm shooting a 4x Bushnell Banner circle plex on a .357 mag rifle and ringing steel at 225. Anything else is optional. LOL!

A $200 Diamondback will serve 99% of the time. 25 minutes after sundown on a cloudy day - nope. I shoot most of my bucks at around 10 am and 2 hrs before dark. Just sayin.

Had a Vx3i and it was very nice just didn't hold zero real well - could shoot a 3-6 inch group at 250, then I put an older VX2 on there and shot 1 inch groups from there on out. Sold the VX3i. Can no longer recommend them to folks.

Otherwise - go with the Meopro. Great glass.

ringorock

I'll agree to the Diamondback. Great bang for your buck. Had Nikon stuck in the game, I'd say their P5 was just as good.

I think you had a dud in the vx3i. I've not had any issues with my loopies. It's not abnormal for duds to pass qc from any manufacturer.

I'm shooting a 4x Bushnell Banner circle plex on a .357 mag rifle and ringing steel at 225. Anything else is optional. LOL!

A $200 Diamondback will serve 99% of the time. 25 minutes after sundown on a cloudy day - nope. I shoot most of my bucks at around 10 am and 2 hrs before dark. Just sayin.

Had a Vx3i and it was very nice just didn't hold zero real well - could shoot a 3-6 inch group at 250, then I put an older VX2 on there and shot 1 inch groups from there on out. Sold the VX3i. Can no longer recommend them to folks.

Jester896

Senior Clown
If you could find some old stock or used Diamondback HP it would be even better bang for the buck. They were made in the Philippines instead of China.

killerv

Please post targets of your 1in groups at 250. I'd like to see this setup.

killerv

My vote would be for a vx-r, really enjoying my 30mm 3-9 and got it around 350 waiting on a midwayusa sale. Will definitely get you in trouble if so inclined.

Rich M

Please post targets of your 1in groups at 250. I'd like to see this setup.

Might have some targets in one of the log books but no photos on phone. Both the .243 and 3006 like Sierra Pro Hunters and kill deer.

1980s Model 70 stainless, Leupold bases & rings. Nothing fancy. Dad spent the early part of his retirement working up loads and hit that one for that 3006. God knows how many hours went into it.

I was trying to get a 243 load for 100 gr nosler partitions and got some pro hunters cause they shot good out of 3006. Had a 4 inch 100 gr partition group and a 1 inch pro hunter group. Very happy - went home and loaded up 100. Rem 770 w Leica ER on a rail with those rail rings.

For what it is worth, the .243 won't shoot an inch at 100, more like 1.25, 1.5 for partitions. Just a hair over for the 100 gr federal blue box ammo.

Working on 350 Legend these days. Want 3-4 inches at 225 and will be happy. Waiting on the Diamondback to arrive to do this stuff. Achieved velocity i wanted last week. Hoping to play with seating depth and such. Also want to hunt with it - might not get too fancy til after the season.