4th Annual Food Plot Prep Picture Thread

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
i hope not im on your schedule for this weekend hoping no repeat of last year :cry::cry:

Yeah, we don't need a repeat of last year!! Wished I could wait a tad longer, but "life" gets in the way. Not sure when the next time I will be back down. A slight glimer of hope, with a few showers in the forecast .....

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Got my dirt fertilized and turned in August. Planted just before Irma hit and they are green at this point. Had a nice quick little thunderstorm come through last week that helped with giving them some water. Maybe we will get a couple more quick showers but going to need a good rain for them to hold up.

Attachments

• KIMG0169~2.jpg
    KIMG0169~2.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 1,241
  • KIMG0168~5.jpg
    KIMG0168~5.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 1,250
  • KIMG0246~2.jpg
    KIMG0246~2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 1,244
  • KIMG0247~3.jpg
    KIMG0247~3.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,247

Hit-n-Miss

f22b5178dca6a23487732ee982c904c8.jpg
. Really liking the pull behind spreader. Way easier than doing by hand.
10b6a9d840af31b289a6836d129684b9.jpg
. Puts out the seeds nice and even.
117bc41295b848aea09f36a02d4ffb16.jpg
87b2a26b9e76e84765ffd888b6eece02.jpg
. Planted four strips four 8' harrow widths wide leaving some standing cover. They seem to like it better when I do that. Planted wheat oats clover rape and radish. Can't wait till gun season.

Last edited:

Canuck5

Anybody know an updated rain dance? My old one didn't work last year and I want to be a little more proactive this year. Seeds are in the dry ground! I just need to add water!

I actually feel better about the seeds this year, than last. Last year we planted ahead of a nice 1 1/2" shower, with some stuff germinating but no more rain till late November. The seeds will now be there when Mother Nature decides to bless us with some!

I'm still going to hunt at elfiii's this year .....

Triple C

Canuck...Hope you come up with a rain dance that works. Planted radish and turnips on Sept 2nd, ahead of Irma and grains a few days after Irma dumped about 3.5 inches of rain at our place. Both are looking good and hope they hold on till we get some more rain.
09300723.jpg

09290309.jpg

Canuck5

That is nice, Triple C! Your deer appreciate what you've done!

I didn't take any pics, but my plots look like a drunk, worked the soil. I left as much Medium Red Clover, that was looking good, as I could, but still over seeded everything. I learned my lesson from last year! My deer have some of that, to munch on till MN delivers!

deerbuster

Its been a very busy year for me. After moving 3 hours from the farm I hunt, finally got lime down for next year on 3 of our plots totaling right under 6 acres. Hopefully get some oats in the ground the next week. Really looking forward to seeing what a correct pH can do for us next year. This will be the first time they've ever been limed. Hoping to start establishing some sections of perennial clover.

I've got a big vision on what to do with these plots in the coming year or two.

I'll be sure to take pictures of our plots next time I'm at the farm.

Core Lokt

Planting at a fiends place Friday/Saturday (25 plots on 1K acres) and then I'll do my house plot in the next couple of weeks. Have one other friend to help as well but haven't heard when yet. Hope everyone gets some rain and no plot loss.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Planting just before Irma was a smart and lucky move on my part.

Last year I broke my subsoiler and my discs on this plot. It is hard pan red clay and no amount of tillage will bust it up completely. Lucky for me the clover that was in the 5 way mix I planted last year liked it and took hold.

I came back this year and put down lime and 0-20-20 a couple of months ago and then top dressed it with some Duranna and chickory and it looks like they are going to take.

The Wx lady on TV this morning said rain this weekend. Hope she's right.

deerbuster

One of our plots that will be going in this week. Oats and some leftover peas, hoping to get the rain the weather lady is calling for this weekend

Attachments

• 29320F54-C99B-4ECE-976D-1CB3457AC295.jpg
    29320F54-C99B-4ECE-976D-1CB3457AC295.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 966

Canuck5

Elfiii is one smart cookie!!! Looks good!!

Canuck5

I just noticed that T.P. was banded ....... :confused: but we will keep his tradition alive!!!!!! Who on here can build exquisite equipment????