5th row planting oak trees

Anyone ever planted oaks and or chestnuts in a cleared out 5th row in a stand of 15 yr old pines? I've got a good area that has North/South rows that should get plenty of sunlight. Looking to plant mostly Ga forestry seedlings.

Gut_Pile

We planted some sawtooth in a widened fire break on my club in SC that are doing okay. The are not growing at the rate as the ones in full sunlight, but they aren't dead either.

Do you plan on clear cutting the pines at a later date?

We planted some sawtooth in a widened fire break on my club in SC that are doing okay. The are not growing at the rate as the ones in full sunlight, but they aren't dead either.

Do you plan on clear cutting the pines at a later date?
We are just doing a first thinning right now so probably won't clear cut for a long time if ever. I can also clear out more that one row if necessary.

Gut_Pile

Over time, your trees are going to want more sun and room to grow. If you could remove two or three rows in strategic areas, that would give you a lot more room for your trees to grow.

Gut_Pile

You want 30ft radius around each tree when planting, so however many rows you need taken out to accomplish that is what you want to shoot for.