#6 with a ...canoe

robert carter

Had a great few hunts the last couple of days. The local WMA`s are great and I am blessed to be able to hunt them.
I had a place picked out to hunt that is about a mile and a half walk from the road . Chris had used his gps to measure it . I have killed critters farther from that from the truck but would rather be closer. so with some checking I found a spot I could get to with my canoe and walk about 300 yards. Thats much better .
Long story short I got set up on a swamp chestnut that did not pan out for me but I did see a big 8 pt that had been traveling.
I moved to a water oak that had plenty of sign under it and shot a doe at about 5 yards. She whirled at the shot and I hit her a shade back. I packed everything back to my take out spot then came back and took up the trail. To my surprise it was a good blood trail and only about 75 yards long. Got great video for icing on the cake.
Here are some pics . I was shooting my homemade string follow with a Simmons Tiger shark Allen gave me. Thank You Lord !!RC

photo 026_zpsnqfj7fz3.jpg

photo 031_zpsyuun57ep.jpg

Never seen the river this low or clear.

photo 029_zpsjqehwrku.jpg

photo 006_zpsfmqsihom.jpg

photo 024_zpsusnhl4fl.jpg

photo 036_zpsfycnmntc.jpg

Barry Duggan

When the chestnut don't pan out, it's always nice to have a water oak handy. Good deal swamper.

Vance Henry

That's just awesome stuff right there.

jekilpat

Congratulations! Enjoyed the story. Nothing compares to hunting the rivers - just feels wild and natural.

Clipper

That doe would have gotten awful heavy dragging her out 1.5 miles. Even deboned she would have weighed 30-35 lbs. The canoe was a good way to go and I bet that river is so shallow now the canoe was the only watercraft that would make it. Congratulations on a well planned and successful hunt.

AllAmerican

That's great, you are like the Swamp Jeremiah Johnson! Congrats, definitely a happy canoe ride I'd bet.