65% vs 85% Just how much difference is there?

Just 1 More

While holding drawn on a big doe last weekend... and having to let down because she did not present the perfect shot... I was thinking to my self.. I said... "Self,,, I wonder if I could hold this 75lb draw a little longer if I had the 85% modules?"
Well... I didn't have the answer... Do you guys know? Just how much difference is there and how much speed would I loose going to the 85's?

Just 1 More

I'm so out of shape I have to come up for air between tying my shoe laces... BUt as far a strength... like an OX,, an old fat Ox but an OX none the less

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Night and day difference on the hold. I am all for the higher let off bows, they allow you to hold on target longer and more steady.

Jim

mpowell

i shoot a reflex caribou designed by chuck adams for finger shooters since i don't use a release. it's at 60% let off. i was previously using bows with a much higher left off and there's a huge difference in the feel!

i shot a deer last night and i had to draw back and hold for at least 15-20 seconds waiting for her to present the best shot. plus, there was a smaller doe in front of my shot that needed to move just a bit. if i'd had the bow i sold to a friend that was 85% let off, it would have been nothing. but at just 60% let off, i don't like to hold back for longer than 30 seconds. i've tested myself on this one just to be prepared in case i needed to draw and wait and once i hit about half a minute my steadiness starts to wane.

but, since i shoot fingers i like to feel more weight on the string. it's helps with my consistency big time instead of feeling a very light string which almost isn't natural in my fingers.

robertyb

A 70 lb. bow at 80% you will hold 14 lbs. At 65% you will hold 24.5 lbs. Now take two bags weighing 14 lbs and 24.5 lbs and hold then out at arms length and see which you can hold longest. :confused:

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Robert those are very close to the same numbers I got. Ten pounds is a good deal more to hold steady with arms extended.

reylamb

Most of your top target archers shoot 65% letoff for one reason, more holding weight actually allows you to hold steadier. Personally, I do not like the way the higher letoffs feel, and I am not as accurate with them.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
reylamb said:
Most of your top target archers shoot 65% letoff for one reason, more holding weight actually allows you to hold steadier. Personally, I do not like the way the higher letoffs feel, and I am not as accurate with them.

Reyl,

Is 85% allowed in the top shoots? I know I shot a lot of deer with 65% and hopefully will shoot a lot of deer with 85%:D

Jim

Jim Thompson said:
Night and day difference on the hold. I am all for the higher let off bows, they allow you to hold on target longer and more steady.

Jim

Then, go buy yourself a crossbow and hold as steady as you want all day long

Just 1 More

gobblestopper,
Not really sure where that fits in this discussion... Please, If you don't have any real information regarding this topic.. just don't reply. I kind of took that as an attck of some sort... just dosn't seem to sight right with me.. :mad:

reylamb

Jim, I know of no organizations that prevent high letoff bows in target archery for compound divisions. The less letoff, the more accurate a bow tends to be. This is due in part because of the force draw curve with the higher letoffs. Going from 85% to full acceleration takes slightly longer, and causes some string occillation. When I had 75% letoffs in my Hoyts I would get the occassional left - right flyers. With 65% I do not get them.

Also, 65% letoff will give you more speed over the same bow with 80% Granted, it is only a couple of fps it is still slightly more.

Cward, what is the difference? In target archery the point is to hit a spot. In bowhunting the point is to hit a spot. Accuracy is the same, and the need to hold steady is equal. I have never understood why there is a belief that there are 2 versions of accuracy, hunting accuracy or target accuracy. The point in both is to place the arrow where it needs to be.

Anyone that can not hold a bow at full draw for 1 minute with 65% letoff is overbowed.

Jody Hawk

reylamb said:

I'm with Reylamb on this one. While I do like being able to hold a 85% letoff bow longer with a 65% letoff bow I can hold it steadier.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
gobblestopper said:

I have been considering it...ok maybe not, but thanks for the idea though :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info Reylamb, described that way makes more since that you could hold steady with less lett off.

Jim