6th bow kill this AM

ASH556

This morning was my first opportunity to hunt this season. These last 2-3 years I’ve really focused hard on bowhunting. Add to that being on new property and it being in the mountains has brought some challenges for sure. The past 2 seasons were a grind. Someone once said, “don’t pass a deer on opening day that you’d shoot on closing day.” So, when this velvet spike walked out from behind and nearly under me, I was ready. Also, we’re out of venison and the kiddos will love the jerky! He stopped broadside at about 15 yds and I let fly. Sidebar: part of the grind the last 2 years has been figuring out holds with this steep mountain elevation. Once last year and once the year before I shot bucks in the traditional shoulder crease, but due to the steep angle of the shot, basically landed a brisket shot, non-fatal. Saw both bucks again later in the season so I know they survived.

Anyway, I wasn’t going to make that mistake again, but apparently I overcorrected a bit. Shot went in the top of the shoulder headed for offside lung, but lodged in the spine. He dropped on the spot and rolled over and I put a second one through both lungs. Obviously not thrilled with the first shot and it cost me an arrow, but fortunately the second shot did the job quickly and there was no track job! You can see the broadhead lodged in the spine as well as the exit cut from the follow up lung shot in the last pic below.

6th bowkill ever and first velvet buck. Great morning!

IMG_5441.jpegIMG_5444.jpegIMG_5445.jpegIMG_5451.jpeg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Woohoo! I bet that was a rush too! Gonna make some fine jerky and everybody gonna love it! :cheers:

Big7

The Oracle
Nasty looking wound channel. :cheers:

Duff

Awesome! Great job!!