80 Grain TTSX .25/06

Dub

You got in trouble a lot in class didn't you?
Lololol

Yes. Yes I did.

Most students measured a teachers merit by how well they could relate and convey subject matter.

Me, I could assess which teachers could best wield the wooden paddle.

I wasn’t very bright….but I never gave up. I never let them know that this little dummy wasnt averse to pain.

:rof:

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
It is a term that came to light on a recent thread here.

There was even video evidence submitted in the thread.

Made the ballistic gel shimmy and the blanket shake.

Not unlike the wrap up of a successful date night…..

Dieseling.
Youtube is your friend Young Jedi

rosewood

Someone has taken a real scientific term and made up a new meaning. Dieseling is the process by which a Diesel engine runs. The fuel has to be hot and under extreme pressure and it ignites as a result of the combination without a spark. A gasoline engine with high compression and a hot engine may keep running after the ignition is turned off usually a result of low octane gas causing it to "diesel". Higher octane gas is less likely to "diesel".

Not real sure how this relates to firearms....especially since a spark is used to start the reaction in a cartridge.

I have heard of "dieseling" a pellet rifle by using vaseline or something in the chamber with the pellet. Not real sure if it actually ignites, or if it just creates a better seal.

Sorry, sometimes the misuse of scientific terms makes the engineer in me get on his soap box...

Rosewood

BriarPatch99

The deer was at a angle just as this ... entered the chest just left of intersection of the two red lines about the level as the crack in my screen saver... destroyed the left should and entered the pink area ... I had to leave before the lady opened the chest cavity... I can only guess as to what happened to the bullet ....other than a total energy dump in the vital area ...
The deer was dead on his feet but he did wobble to about 8/10 yards ...

Not a good test for bullet performance... but it is what it is...
20211115_124354.jpg

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Someone has taken a real scientific term and made up a new meaning. Dieseling is the process by which a Diesel engine runs. The fuel has to be hot and under extreme pressure and it ignites as a result of the combination without a spark. A gasoline engine with high compression and a hot engine may keep running after the ignition is turned off usually a result of low octane gas causing it to "diesel". Higher octane gas is less likely to "diesel".

Not real sure how this relates to firearms....especially since a spark is used to start the reaction in a cartridge.

I have heard of "dieseling" a pellet rifle by using vaseline or something in the chamber with the pellet. Not real sure if it actually ignites, or if it just creates a better seal.

Sorry, sometimes the misuse of scientific terms makes the engineer in me get on his soap box...

Rosewood
Search ballistic gel dieseling on YouTube. You'll see how it works. I am sure it *happens only in Ballistic Gel as the temporary wound cavity rapidly collapses.
*sometimes

rosewood

Yeah, I seen the spark in the gel before, didn't realize they called that dieseling.

rosewood

Hmm, I would be interested in seeing a more in depth study of that. I thought it was some sort of lightning type event from static charge instead of an actual explosion. One would think if it was an explosion of oil, that the entire block would go up, not just the small amount inside.

Rosewood

SC Hunter

@BriarPatch99 that bullet hit him running so fast that it literally knocked the life out of him. If it had made 2 holes and completely held together at that speed I'd have been very very impressed.

I can imagine when they opened the chest on him a soup of blood and lung parts went everywhere.

bighonkinjeep

I'm surprised that so many are surprised at no pass through on virtually any bullet going that fast especially one that small. Most .257 bullets in that weight class I'm aware of are rapidly expanding varmint bullets. I would have probably been more surprised if there was an exit.

Reactions: Dub

Geezer Ray

I'm surprised that so many are surprised at no pass through on virtually any bullet going that fast especially one that small. Most .257 bullets in that weight class I'm aware of are rapidly expanding varmint bullets. I would have probably been more surprised if there was an exit.

My experience with Barnes has been 100% pass through so far. 80gr up to 150gr , running anywhere from 2700 up to 3400+ fps. Never got to recover one yet. The picture is the most ever found, a blue tip piece.20211114_103954.jpg

BriarPatch99

The 80 grain TTSX .257" is a medium game bullet not a varmint bullet .... it is a 100% copper bullet with a poly tip .... this is the first deer sized animal that I have shot with this bullet .... it is comparable to a 100/110 grain copper jacketed lead core bullet ....

I believe the preformance of this bullet in the manner it did was due to the close range ....

We have had perfect performance from many 80 grain TTSX .243" bullets both this year and several last year ....no reason to think the .257" version would not preform under better conditions ....

menhadenman

The 80 grain TTSX .257" is a medium game bullet not a varmint bullet .... it is a 100% copper bullet with a poly tip .... this is the first deer sized animal that I have shot with this bullet .... it is comparable to a 100/110 grain copper jacketed lead core bullet ....

I believe the preformance of this bullet in the manner it did was due to the close range ....

We have had perfect performance from many 80 grain TTSX .243" bullets both this year and several last year ....no reason to think the .257" version would not preform under better conditions ....

Don’t you mean the 6.5 mm ? (aka 25-06, the true 6.5)?