870 express

hitchin

20 gauge express magnum: shells hang up in magazine; i have cleaned magazine tube. Wondering if my problem is the plastic magazine follower. No plug in the magazine.

killerv

not being smart....but try another brand of shells

also be very deliberate when you pump it, don't baby it

bighonkinjeep

If that doesnt work it may have a dirty, bent, worn or broken shell stop. Search "Remington 870 shell latch" and you might get a better idea of how it works and is installed.

transfixer

20 gauge express magnum: shells hang up in magazine; i have cleaned magazine tube. Wondering if my problem is the plastic magazine follower. No plug in the magazine.

if its hanging up before it gets to the shell stop then it likely is the plastic follower, I have changed those on every 870 I've ever had, not expensive and easy to do, the spring could be binding but that is unlikely , take a flashlight and look for imperfections/rust inside the magazine tube, if there are none then it pretty much has to be the follower

chase870

Possum Sox
Good answers and I'd try most of them if I had this problem. I have some 870's that are the express grade, and have a pair of 12Ga. super mags that have had some custom work done to Barrells that I duck hunt with and have fired thousands of shells through them in the last 20 years the only time I can remember having a mechanical issue with any 870 was years ago in Canada when I only had 1 Super mag and it failed in the field. I don't remember what the exact issue was, but it couldn't figure out Take the forearm, bolt carrier, and bolt out. check the forearm and the twin action slide bars. The bars are part of a metal tube that goes through the forearm and has a threaded end. The nut that tightens the forearm up might be loose and this results in the action not working right. I drove two hours to the nearest gun store, said thanks for the 50 dollar lesson and drove 2 hours back to the farm I was hunting. All that said the 870 is a very simple design keep playing with it and you will eventually figure it out

Hillbilly stalker

Good answers and I'd try most of them if I had this problem. I have some 870's that are the express grade, and have a pair of 12Ga. super mags that have had some custom work done to Barrells that I duck hunt with and have fired thousands of shells through them in the last 20 years the only time I can remember having a mechanical issue with any 870 was years ago in Canada when I only had 1 Super mag and it failed in the field. I don't remember what the exact issue was, but it couldn't figure out Take the forearm, bolt carrier, and bolt out. check the forearm and the twin action slide bars. The bars are part of a metal tube that goes through the forearm and has a threaded end. The nut that tightens the forearm up might be loose and this results in the action not working right. I drove two hours to the nearest gun store, said thanks for the 50 dollar lesson and drove 2 hours back to the farm I was hunting. All that said the 870 is a very simple design keep playing with it and you will eventually figure it out
I’ve toted and loved an 870 for years. That is the only problem I’ve ever seen with one and it was on an older high mileage shotgun. Simple fix.

georgia_home

Plus one on checking the slide bars while cycling. those are the parts that lift the shell stops at the mag tube exit… iirc, there are two stops..

example using 3 shells and cycling… After first shot…

first catch is the one that lets shell 2 loose to pop out… and lay on the lifter,

the 2nd catch holds in the 3rd, in the tube until you start forward. The fire catch drops back and the 2nd latch Releases… this basically prevents double feeds to lifter. And other shells in the tube….

make sure the arms are actuating the lifters properly as you cycle. Sometimes the arms bow a little and don’t make contact with one or both of the shell releases.. the bumps on the arms of the rail determine when/which of the two stops lift… that’s the part where a bow on the arms may not make proper contact

you can test with 3 EMPTY shells or snap caps

georgia_home

chase870

Possum Sox
I’ve toted and loved an 870 for years. That is the only problem I’ve ever seen with one and it was on an older high mileage shotgun. Simple fix.
I have actually broken two sets of twin action slide bars in the last 40 years, a set on a super mag express the bars came loose from the tube and on the wingmaster the threads the nut screws onto broke off the tube. Other than these things I have never had a failure and I could still shoot the gun with the slide bar issues