9.9 outboard for 14 42 - hope to upgrade boat

bubdog

I am planning to purchase a 9.9hp Tohatsu with a 20" shaft and a Vance Manufacturing jack plate that has 5" of adjustment. I currently have an old G3 1442 jon boat. The plan is to eventually get a larger boat (probably a Tracker or G3 in a 1648. Looking around it looks like the 16' -18' jon boats use a 20" shaft. Would this be my best option to use the motor on two different boats? Or would it be better to by a 15" shaft and then get a jack plate to lower the motor on a larger boat?

I have very little experience with outboards but I think I am looking at this correctly. I just would like to see if anyone could help me out. Thanks in advance for any help.

The setup will mostly be used on High Falls, Juliette, and state park lakes. I'm trying everything I can to get my son to move away from looking at screens and enjoy the outdoors.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Since you're restricted to 9.9hp on High Falls and 25hp on Juliette, you'll have to go with the 9.9 if you want to fish both.
A 9.9 won't plane a larger boat but it will get you around. Plan on having a larger fuel tank since fuel consumption will be high since you won't ever get on plane. If you plan on only having one motor, a jack plate on the larger boat will be required. Fortunately both lakes are small enough that speed isn't required to get everywhere you'll want to go.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
If you are gonna be in 10hp areas, you need seek out a nice 2 stroke Yamaha or Tohatsu 9.9...Both can be made a 15 VERY cheap and easy, and will give you literally twice the performance of a 4 stroke 9.9, while still being legal.

If you are not under a hp restricted area, get a 20-25 horse, and forget the 9.9.

As to the jack plate, unless you are trying to run shallow as possible, forget that too. Get a motor that fits your transom.

If you upgrade the boat later, just sell and start over. You'll wind up better off.

Above all, have fun with your boy!! (y)

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
If you are gonna be in 10hp areas, you need seek out a nice 2 stroke Yamaha or Tohatsu 9.9...Both can be made a 15 VERY cheap and easy, and will give you literally twice the performance of a 4 stroke 9.9, while still being legal.

If you are not under a hp restricted area, get a 20-25 horse, and forget the 9.9.

As to the jack plate, unless you are trying to run shallow as possible, forget that too. Get a motor that fits your transom.

If you upgrade the boat later, just sell and start over. You'll wind up better off.

Above all, have fun with your boy!! (y)
Yep, this really is the best advice if you can swing it. A 20 or 25 hp on a 1648 boat will open up all the bigger lakes to you later on. Still, you can get by with a 9.9 on a 1442 or 1448 for small lakes and rivers. All that really matters is getting out there!

crackerdave

Good luck getting your son off the video games! We have a whole generation that is addicted to that crap,and not interested in hunting or fishing.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Good luck getting your son off the video games! We have a whole generation that is addicted to that crap,and not interested in hunting or fishing.
Amen to that! Never underestimate the ability of a red cork going under the water to change a child's mind about the outdoors.:bounce:

AceOfTheBase

My 9.9 Eska (15) 2-cycle would plane my lite wt 16 ft jon boat with one passenger, but not with two.